IGNORED

Converting a single bmp into multiple rooms

Hello,

I have created 10 rooms together using a tile manager program which represents a total of 100 x 24 cards into a single bmp picture.

I successfully managed to convert the picture into Intybasic code using Intycolor but the problem is that it generates a single screen_cards label covering the entire area with 24 DECLE statements.

I was hoping I could get instead a label per room (20 x 12): screen_cards0,..., screen_cards23

I can think about 3 ways forward:

1) there is an option in intybasic - which I missed - allowing to split the cards into 20 x 12 cards labels (I checked the documentation though)

2) I need to split the generated code by hand into different labels

3) I keep the single label as is and use it as an array from which I can read the relevant 20 x 12 cards for the room to display

Any recommendation?

Thanks

/V

From what I gather, you have a map of 5x2 rooms, each of which use the full 20x12-card dimensions of the Intellivision screen, and you drew the whole thing into a large .bmp file.

Your best bet is probably to split the image into ten smaller images and run intycolor against each of them separately.

• Like 1

One downside of running Intycolor ten times is that you may waste space loading redundant bitmaps.

One thing I've done before is to export the tile map, which will contain tile numbers used for each position on screen.

Then I had a procedure that read that, and drew the screen. 

The bitmaps pulled by that procedure were defined by running Intycolor on the tileset itself. 

I also did some logic to speed things up and save space when the same tile was drawn multiple times in succession.

There are other ways to approach it, this is one of them. There are trade-offs.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1

Update on what I have done so far:

- I export the single bitmap (containing the 5×2 rooms) from the tile manager

- I run it throught Intycolor (once)

- I wrote a small Python script which parses the data in the Intycolor output and create the screen cards for each room (the script also encodes the tile type - for collision detection - where needed)

• Like 4