IGNORED

TI99DIR (TIDIR) Troubleshooting, Questions & Answers

Schmitzi

( https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html#tidir )

Hi, I have a printing issue with TI99DIR, actual version 8.2a: The printouts (PDFs and real printer) are cut at the end of the documents.

Edit: In Windows7-64 ALL pages are empty

Description:

I open a DIS/VAR type file (like README) by doubleclicking it, and get it in the small Editor/Viewer coming with TI99DIR.

When I print it via the menu, (into PDF or on one of my real printers), in any cases some text from the end of the textfile is cut,

or, if the source document  is somwhow longer that 3 or 4 pages maybe, I miss 1 or 2 pages at the end.

I have tried different settings (pageformat A4, Letter, a.s.o) on my different PDF-proggies, and I have 2 printers tested here

This all on Windows 8.1-x64

I also tried most options on my older Win7-64 laptop, THERE I got empty pages, PDF an rela iron printer.

Any idea ?

Here is an actual testfile (I tested with some older, totally different files too) : UPDATE730  (a TIFILE, remove .DSK if given)

Can somebody please try to print that (or just something) with TI99DIR v8.2a (and / or an older version ?) and let me know please.

thanks

EDIT: I installed the older TI99DIR 7.2a on one machine, same issue. Win81 cuts, Win7 empty printouts.

Maybe it is me and my printers and drivers ?

Another issue or question is, today I tried to rename a file inside a .DSK (from SYSTEM-SYS to SYSTEM/SYS),

but my "/"-key does not work in TI99DIR (Shift-7 for the Slash-sign on german keyboard).

I also tried to copy and past it from another file, but this gave me a strange character.

Is there something that I don´t know ? Are my systems corrupted maybe ?

47 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

Another issue or question is, today I tried to rename a file inside a .DSK (from SYSTEM-SYS to SYSTEM/SYS),

but my "/"-key does not work in TI99DIR (Shift-7 for the Slash-sign on german keyboard).

I also tried to copy and past it from another file, but this gave me a strange character.

TIDIR has an issue with the “\” key.  It also does not like the “!” Key as well, at least at the beginning of a filename in a Windows sub directory. 

It appears the issue is not inside a DSK image, but only at paths to Windows and PI folders.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

( https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html#tidir )

<snip>

Here is an actual testfile (I tested with some older, totally different files too) : UPDATE730  (a TIFILE, remove .DSK if given)

</snip>

Printing from a Ti99Dir view window stops at the line with PI.STATUS for some reason. TI99DIR is doing nothing with the content of the file, just calling some default print function.

Workarround:

Open the file in a viewer in TI99DIR.

Select all, ctrl-a

Copy, ctrl-c

Open notepad (or other simple editor)

Paste, ctrl-v

and print from there.

Fred ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Printing from a Ti99Dir view window stops at the line with PI.STATUS for some reason. TI99DIR is doing nothing with the content of the file, just calling some default print function.

Workarround:

Open the file in a viewer in TI99DIR.

Select all, ctrl-a

Copy, ctrl-c

Open notepad (or other simple editor)

Paste, ctrl-v

and print from there.

Fred ;-)

yes, that was my Plan-B :) thanks

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, Schmitzi said:

I also noticed this problem today Ralph. Offcourse it must be possible to use the /\'";:<>,?!@#%^&*()-_=+ characters in TI file names on a DSK ir HD image.

I will change this in Ti99Dir for renaminf files on DSK/HD images.

Another problem wich I encountered with my system is that my disk drive will not step beyond sector 20. I could create a copy on my lotharek drive though and boot MDOS730 with OLDDOS from MDOS650. Sofar it works great. Good job Tim & Beery!!!

First I must make notes of my current configuration and move my IDE device to >1900 and see how to get SYSTEM/SYS on my RAM disk again.

Fred ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F.G. Kaal said:

I also noticed this problem today Ralph. Offcourse it must be possible to use the /\'";:<>,?!@#%^&*()-_=+ characters in TI file names on a DSK ir HD image.

Another problem wich I encountered with my system is that my disk drive will not step beyond sector 20. I could create a copy on my lotharek drive though and boot MDOS730 with OLDDOS from MDOS650. Sofar it works great. Good job Tim & Beery!!!

First I must make notes of my current configuration and move my IDE device to >1900 and see how to get SYSTEM/SYS on my RAM disk again.

Fred ;-)

If you have a TIPI, copy SYSTEM/SYS to the TIPI.  Then, use DM2K in rompage mode, and you can copy to IDE  and Ramdisk as well.

With the proper use of SCSMAP or REMAP depending upon disk i/o or hard drive i/o, you can copy to your ramdisk or ram harddrive.

You will need the LOAD-IDE or LOAD-TIP files in the eprom file and the eprom v0.99 to boot from either of those devices if you go that route.

Keep in mind with the new eprom, SYSTEM/SYS needs to be renamed to SYSTEM-SYS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Fred ;-)

yes I had another problem that sounds a little bit like this, but in the TI99DIR when updating my MDOS650-Work-Disk

It´s my 650.DSK for HFE, with some tools, and I deleted the */SYS-files and some tools no longer needed with MDOS730,

and then I copied all the files from the new MDOS730 ZIP-file. At last, when I copied the SYSTEM/SYS, the .DSK "crashed".

There were strange files, very strange files to see in TI99DIR. This happened every time at the point when I copied the SYSTEM/SYS.

Then I thought, the solution is to take a fresh new empty .DSK, and then copy all files again. DID NOT WORK

Then I took my old .DSK again, copied all new files but not the SYSTEM/SYS to it,

took another, new & empty .DSK and copied ONLY the SYSTEM/SYS to it,

made .HFEs from both .DSKs, and sent them to the SD-card,

fired on and booted the Geneve from the updated DSK (now HFE) but still with MDOS650 on it,

mounted the other HFE as second drive B: in my Lotharek EmuDrive, and just said "COPY B:SYSTEM/SYS A:"

Then I rebootet and it works.

I don´t know what the problem was, first I thought my Work-Disk was mangled or so, but it happened on this one file only,

happened in TI99DIR only, and after the real-iron-copy by hand it still works....

No problem at all, just for you information

ah PS: yesterday? I posted that ready-2-go-DSK in the other tropic where MDOS730 was provided

15 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

yes I had another problem that sounds a little bit like this, but in the TI99DIR when updating my MDOS650-Work-Disk

It´s my 650.DSK for HFE, with some tools, and I deleted the */SYS-files and some tools no longer needed with MDOS730,

and then I copied all the files from the new MDOS730 ZIP-file. At last, when I copied the SYSTEM/SYS, the .DSK "crashed".

There were strange files, very strange files to see in TI99DIR. This happened every time at the point when I copied the SYSTEM/SYS.

Then I thought, the solution is to take a fresh new empty .DSK, and then copy all files again. DID NOT WORK

Then I took my old .DSK again, copied all new files but not the SYSTEM/SYS to it,

took another, new & empty .DSK and copied ONLY the SYSTEM/SYS to it,

made .HFEs from both .DSKs, and sent them to the SD-card,

fired on and booted the Geneve from the updated DSK (now HFE) but still with MDOS650 on it,

mounted the other HFE as second drive B: in my Lotharek EmuDrive, and just said "COPY B:SYSTEM/SYS A:"

Then I rebootet and it works.

I don´t know what the problem was, first I thought my Work-Disk was mangled or so, but it happened on this one file only,

happened in TI99DIR only, and after the real-iron-copy by hand it still works....

No problem at all, just for you information

ah PS: yesterday? I posted that ready-2-go-DSK in the other tropic where MDOS730 was provided

I had a utility that came with my Lotharek unit that would take a DSK image and convert it to a HFE image.  I'm not aware of any problems copying the file with TIDIR to a DSK image, so in the future, that may be an option to try.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I had a utility that came with my Lotharek unit that would take a DSK image and convert it to a HFE image.  I'm not aware of any problems copying the file with TIDIR to a DSK image, so in the future, that may be an option to try.

yes, maybe my .DSK was already mangled ? It was the boot & test disk for all my controller-actions in the last weeks....

and yes, Jean-Francois´ HxC Floppy Emultor Soft, actual version is the 2.5.6.6.

( The latest firmware change for the drive v1.881a was made on my request last week, better handling on navigating with the 3 buttons :) )

I also use it to convert the SCP-stream files from my SuperCard Pro.

( By chance, does it also convert files from the KryoFlux ? Still have to check my Kryo, but the SCP runs very good )

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 12:57 PM, mizapf said:

Yes, / and \ are valid TI filename characters, therefore no problem inside a DSK. For a future boot EPROM, we should definitely change names (as I suggested, like @SYSTEM; @ should not cause troubles with the PC file systems).

Ralph,

Ti99Dir version 81b can be downloaded from my website ti99-geek.nl

If renaming a TI file on a DSK, CF7DSK or HD image then all characters ( inclusive !@#$%^&*()_-=+[]{};:'"\|/?,.<> )  are allowed except the dot and space characters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have prepared an .IMG-file with TI99DIR, including 4 partitions, and copied some files into Partition #1 and #2)

(Nackground is that I got my new IDE-Controllers with SD-2-IDE-adapters today, and now I want to make a "shortcut" just to play around with them) :)

So now I have the IMG-file with some stuff inside it, but how can I use it ? How can I get data onto the SD-card ?

(Respectively hot could I get the .IMG onto a IDE-drive that is connected to my PC?)

The "Restore"-function from the TI99DIR-menu only likes .CF7-files (Images)....

Any idea ?

thanks

hmm, I slightly remember there was a tool that I used on my last PC to make backups from my CF-card, but I cannot remember the name nor can I find it. Maybe this tool used IMG files ? And there was a tool that I have used for the Tipi´s SD-card IIRC a longer time ago, but also cannot remember or find that in my repository. I also have a fullversion of WinImage, but this cannot handles this file, of course. Btw, there is a help that I´ve never seen before in TIDIR, but further IMG usage is not mentioned here.

If I google "img tool" my computer crashes ? It´s too much software there and I dont want to try by random

Best would be 1 tool for all.

grafik.thumb.png.031389378ac76df922b7d2a05d8f3707.png

You can use dd.exe look for it on google. You find which physical drive your cf card is seen as then you can dd it to an image on the pc. I can't remember much, been awhile since I have used it. 3 or 5 years ago, trying to get a scsi image from my scsi2sd card.

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Edited by RickyDean
add content.
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

You can use dd.exe look for it on google. You find which physical drive your cf card is seen as then you can dd it to an image on the pc. I can't remember much, been awhile since I have used it. 3 or 5 years ago, trying to get a scsi image from my scsi2sd card.

ah yes, thanks. This is one tool I remember now.

I just found it here now, and I see I downloaded and used it in 2015. It´s still the 0.6b3 today. Will have a look :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RickyDean said:

PS: I also found the other one now, it was saved next to it: "BalenaEtcher"

• Like 1