IGNORED

Super Pro KotM: K2 - Review (Updated)

DZ-Jay

7 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I got the newest ROM today.  Hopefully find some time this weekend to play.   

Wait ... you were tackling the 9th mountain using the first ... impossible ... ROM I tested before?  The one on which the review is based?

Just now, Sinjinhawke said:

No.  I am on my 3rd version of the super Pro version.  The bunny slope training wheels edition.  

Hehehe.  Gotcha.

I just played a little of the latest one and I passed mountain 5!  It was challenging, but still I managed.  I am now on mountain #6.  I tried a couple of times and failed, but it's not really too bad.  I'll update my review later tomorrow.

This version is looking really good so far.  :)

48 minutes ago, Albert said:

Done.

Thanks!

dZ.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I just played a little of the latest one and I passed mountain 5!  It was challenging, but still I managed.  I am now on mountain #6.  

I remember when I was on mountain 6.  Seems so long ago.  Oh well.  Off to mountain 8.  ;)

IMG_2385.thumb.jpg.194712c50128dcee2c4fec5c20a83bf7.jpg

For fun I loaded the old proto-type King of the Mountain and tried number 1.  Made it easily when I couldn't before.  Weird not having sound and it crashed after I reached the top.

This is a much much much improved version. 

Edited by Sinjinhawke
  • Like 3

I remember when I was on mountain 6.  Seems so long ago.  Oh well.  Off to mountain 8.  ;)

Oh, now you are being mean. :(

IMG_2385.thumb.jpg.194712c50128dcee2c4fec5c20a83bf7.jpg

For fun I loaded the old proto-type King of the Mountain and tried number 1.  Made it easily when I couldn't before.  Weird not having sound and it crashed after I reached the top.

This is a much much much improved version. 

I know.  I tried that earlier.  Also, I compared it to the first IntelligentVision release of the game from a few years back, and it was a little weird.  The controls felt less responsive and the difficulty between mountains seemed off.

@intvdave just told me he's made some more changes and addition and they all sound great, so I can't wait to play the new final version.

This new release is looking to be a classic!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, First Spear said:

That's a great review, thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to something I can get into my LTO Flash one day.

Thanks!

I purchased the ROM for my LTO.  I do recommend it.  This morning I almost finished Mountain 8.  I was steps away from the peak when a boulder appeared right at the peak (might have been an Astrosmash meteor) and there was nothing I could do except let it smack me in the face and drag my helpless body and my shattered soul down the mountain where I quickly died of thirst.

If only I could have drank my tears.

Did I mention I recommend this game.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, Sinjinhawke said:

Took many attempts but I got it done.  

Do you consider the game to easy? To hard? Not bad?

Regarding the bullets go through the bears, I have never seen this. Has it happened many times to you?

Not that I want to change anything else but I have to ask... do you have suggestions for tuning the game?

On 4/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, DZ-Jay said:

could someone grant me access to edit the first post, please?

Looking forward to your updated review :)

Regarding the controls: I will reference each of the 16 direction as a number and not a time position. Straight up being zero (0). If you press the disc at:

0, your man will only move up

1 & 2, will try to move up if possible and, if not, will try to move right

3, will try to move right if possible and, if not, will try to move up

4, move right

5 & 6, will try to move right if possible and, if not, will try to move down

7, will try to move down if possible and, if not, will try to move right

8, move down

9, will try to move down if possible and, if not, will try to move left

10 & 11, will try to move leftif possible and, if not, will try to move down

12, move left

13, will try to move left if possible and, if not, will try to move up

14 & 15, will try to move up if possible and, if not, will try to move left

We see that when moving up, the up direction is favored over moving left or right. This is because you want to climb up the mountain.

When moving down, the left/right is favored over down. This is because you are probably running away from a boulder or bear.

I hope this helps with using the controls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, intvdave said:

Do you consider the game to easy? To hard? Not bad?

Regarding the bullets go through the bears, I have never seen this. Has it happened many times to you?

Not that I want to change anything else but I have to ask... do you have suggestions for tuning the game?

Bullets going through happens maybe once every two full mountain attempts.  I have also seen where a bear appears to be invisible to bullets after it has knocked me to the ground.  It maybe be reproducible in those maps where the bear circles the small square of grass.  

I actually felt like I would never beat Mountain 10.  Rarely was the weather cooperative and I always needed the boat except for the last section of the peak.  

I could get close to the top most games but then there was no resource management options that would work.  I blame this on me not positioning myself better for bears, not anticipating bolder pathing and smelling far to sweet to the bugs.  

I actually was quite loaded with supplies when I finished though it took probably 30 attempts or more.  

• Like 1

Looking forward to your updated review :)

I'll try to get it out later this week-end.

Regarding the controls: I will reference each of the 16 direction as a number and not a time position. Straight up being zero (0). If you press the disc at:

0, your man will only move up

1 & 2, will try to move up if possible and, if not, will try to move right

3, will try to move right if possible and, if not, will try to move up

4, move right

5 & 6, will try to move right if possible and, if not, will try to move down

7, will try to move down if possible and, if not, will try to move right

8, move down

9, will try to move down if possible and, if not, will try to move left

10 & 11, will try to move leftif possible and, if not, will try to move down

12, move left

13, will try to move left if possible and, if not, will try to move up

14 & 15, will try to move up if possible and, if not, will try to move left

We see that when moving up, the up direction is favored over moving left or right. This is because you want to climb up the mountain.

When moving down, the left/right is favored over down. This is because you are probably running away from a boulder or bear.

I hope this helps with using the controls.

I think that some of those special rules may get in the way.  For instance, consider the case when I am going on a zig zag path that goes up then left then up.  I start going up towards the first corner, then if I press left but missed slightly on the disc and hit 11 instead (which is an exceptionally common occurrence without notches or grooves to guide your thumb on the disc), if I have not aligned perfectly on the card boundary, my man will move down instead of left, taking me further away from the corner.  If a bear is coming, I can't orient myself in time to shoot it.

That, compounded by the slower sampling rate makes turning tight corners under pressure a little too slow.

Perhaps the three directions in each cardinal point (N=15, 0, 1;  E=3, 4, 5;  S=7, 8, 9;  W=11, 12, 13) would work better for this type of "4 way" game.  That way the thumb has ample space to hit and land on he desired direction without ambiguity.  Just a thought.

I'll try playing with the insight you offered into the directions and see if it is easier to move knowing what to expect.

dZ.

5 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I think that some of those special rules may get in the way.  For instance, consider the case when I am going on a zig zag path that goes up then left then up.  I start ....

Perhaps the three directions in each cardinal point (N=15, 0, 1;  E=3, 4, 5;  S=7, 8, 9;  W=11, 12, 13) would work better for this type of "4 way" game.  That way the thumb has ample space to hit and land on he desired direction without ambiguity.  .....

Holding 13,14, or 15 will move the man in your zig zag position. Your solution has you needing to move your finger. The design of the controls allows you to hold your finger in a position and move in zig or zag where your solution is just one direction. It might take a bit to get used to but is more flexible and does not require your finger to be in a "perfect" or moving position.

Bullets going through happens maybe once every two full mountain attempts.  I have also seen where a bear appears to be invisible to bullets after it has knocked me to the ground.  It maybe be reproducible in those maps where the bear circles the small square of grass.  

Maybe what is happening is that the bear hits you. Once this happens, you can not shoot the bear and the bear will not take you out again. This could be used as a tactic. If the bear hits you, a boulder will not come out as long as the bear stays on the screen so follow the bear up the mountain. But then, no other bears that you can shoot will not either.

A boulder can take you out multiple times. To avoid this from happening, while rolling down hill with the boulder, move in the direction the boulder came from. Your man will move away from the boulder when released.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, intvdave said:

Holding 13,14, or 15 will move the man in your zig zag position. Your solution has you needing to move your finger. The design of the controls allows you to hold your finger in a position and move in zig or zag where your solution is just one direction. It might take a bit to get used to but is more flexible and does not require your finger to be in a "perfect" or moving position.

I'll try it out, but I must say that without specific instructions from you on this, it would be impossible to decipher.  Intuitively, I roll my thumb on the disc to move, and generally aim at the sides, but apparently that is not working for me. :(

The main problem, to me, is figuring out where "13, 14, and 15," since there are no notches or grooves, and I am staring at the screen, not the disc.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I noticed the bear wouldn’t hit me again after it did it once and yes I did try chasing it as long as possible figuring there wouldn’t be a Boulder.    

I did not know about the Boulder trick.  I would press the disk in multiple directions but never seem to escape. I assumed you couldn’t.   

9 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I'll try it out, but I must say that without specific instructions from you on this, it would be impossible to decipher.  Intuitively, I roll my thumb on the disc to move, and generally aim at the sides, but apparently that is not working for me. :(

Rolling my thumb on the disc works perfectly for me. Maybe the difference is you hold at each quadrant instead of in between them. I do not hold at the quadrants.

8 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I did not know about the Boulder trick.  I would press the disk in multiple directions but never seem to escape. I assumed you couldn’t.   

Sorry... this is not a trick. What could happen is you might get caught twice by the same boulder if you do not try to move away from it. Pressing the disc does not help release you quicker. Seeing you completed mountain 10, I think you get the tricks of the game :)

• Like 1