IGNORED

Geneve V0.99 Eprom

9640News

3 minutes ago, 9640News said:

But how often used?  Keep the V1.00 around if you ever find yourself in a situation where you really booger'd up your system?

yeah  the last weeks about 1.000 times ;) as I am playing around very much.

I am thinking about staying on 1.00 to keep the boot-flexibility for tinkering...

Btw, MDOS-7.30 is already running from floppy of course,and I could mount the HFDC there.

There the HFDC makes sense. And the DREM.

So, i have noticed that the Geneve will not boot from the TIPI from a cold boot, not sure why.  During the boot process it will go to my HFDC and timeout then to floppy and error since I don't have a boot disk in the A drive.

But...

I press any key to try again and it goes through and boots via TIPI as expected.  I have tried both of my TIPI's with the same results.

I have swapped raspberry power supplies, changed slots in the PEB, but all with the same results.  I'm running the latest version of the software for the TIPI, just upgraded it last night.

The EPROM version is from 05/2020 though as I have been having issues getting the latest burned to a 27C256 as it fails verification.  

Any suggestions?

On 4/8/2021 at 7:28 PM, 9640News said:

Anyone trying out the Eprom yet?

I'm very interested to try it, but if there will be a non beta version out soon (this year?) I'll wait a for it. I might get impatient and order a v0.99 due to the benefits of loading MDOS from TIPI or IDE.

As for now I try to figure out "how to" configure TIPI and IDE to work with MDOS 7.30... ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shift838 said:

I press any key to try again and it goes through and boots via TIPI as expected.  I have tried both of my TIPI's with the same results.

Maybe the PI is not 100 %up & boot-drive not ready right at this moment,

means booting to slow because of whatever ?

So, that the Geneve cannot not see the -SYS file at this early point ?

If so, giving power to the PI 1 minute earlier should help.

Don´t trust me, I am just guessing :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shift838 said:

So, i have noticed that the Geneve will not boot from the TIPI from a cold boot, not sure why.  During the boot process it will go to my HFDC and timeout then to floppy and error since I don't have a boot disk in the A drive.

But...

@9640NewsI experienced similar results with my HFDC and SCSI in the system.  My MFM drive stopped working so I don't know if the timeout was related to the card or the drive not being ready.  This was only a quick test as I am doing a spot of hardware update before it gets too warm in the garage. 

@Shift838 what did your TIPI log show for the cold boot?  any activity prior to pressing any key and booting from tIPI as expected?

10 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Maybe the PI is not 100 %up & boot-drive not ready right at this moment,

means booting to slow because of whatever ?

So, that the Geneve cannot not see the -SYS file at this early point ?

If so, giving power to the PI 1 minute earlier should help.

Don´t trust me, I am just guessing :)

This was a very good suggestion as I know some people want to shut their systems down.  Myself, all 4 of mine that are on systems stay powered 100% of the time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nick99 said:

I'm very interested to try it, but if there will be a non beta version out soon (this year?) I'll wait a for it. I might get impatient and order a v0.99 due to the benefits of loading MDOS from TIPI or IDE.

As for now I try to figure out "how to" configure TIPI and IDE to work with MDOS 7.30... ?

Well, there won't be updates to know what needs to be addressed, if nobody beta tests to identify the issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shift838 said:

I leave the raspberry pi powered on all the time.

so I don’t think it’s that.  My TIPI is set to >1800

If you catalog with DM2K in GPL/Rompage mode, device TIPI. or DSK0., then SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD-TIP should be listed as files.  I'm suggesting this in the event you may be dragging the files into another path by mistake.  I don't see how they could be anywhere else since the seem to load after the second attempt.  Just pointing this out for others as well if they end up having issues and we chase down things.

I don't have answers yet, but just went back and did a test.  My system has a HRD, HFDC w/ DREM, and a TIPI.  With the system powered off, I removed the SD card from the DREM.  (Note: Never remove or re-insert the SD card to the DREM while it is powered.) I am attaching the LOAD-TIP straight off my TIPI on the system just tested.  It should be no different.  Download LOAD-TIP, and drag that file straight to your TIPI system.  Also, make sure you have SYSTEM-SYS on the TIPI at root level of the TIPI.

When I turned my system on, there was a pause on the HFDC of 5 to 10 seconds as there was no drive since the SD card was not in the system.  It then went on and booted from the TIPI.

Try the above test and see what happens.  I think you indicated you had a DREM with your HFDC so that is why I mentioned removing the SD card.

LOAD-TIP

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

@9640NewsI experienced similar results with my HFDC and SCSI in the system.  My MFM drive stopped working so I don't know if the timeout was related to the card or the drive not being ready.  This was only a quick test as I am doing a spot of hardware update before it gets too warm in the garage. 

Tried calling you..... guess you are still working on the hardware.  

Just trying to understand the details.  About to tear into some hardware and add a F18A to my TI.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

If you catalog with DM2K in GPL/Rompage mode, device TIPI. or DSK0., then SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD-TIP should be listed as files.  I'm suggesting this in the event you may be dragging the files into another path by mistake.  I don't see how they could be anywhere else since the seem to load after the second attempt.  Just pointing this out for others as well if they end up having issues and we chase down things.

I don't have answers yet, but just went back and did a test.  My system has a HRD, HFDC w/ DREM, and a TIPI.  With the system powered off, I removed the SD card from the DREM.  (Note: Never remove or re-insert the SD card to the DREM while it is powered.) I am attaching the LOAD-TIP straight off my TIPI on the system just tested.  It should be no different.  Download LOAD-TIP, and drag that file straight to your TIPI system.  Also, make sure you have SYSTEM-SYS on the TIPI at root level of the TIPI.

When I turned my system on, there was a pause on the HFDC of 5 to 10 seconds as there was no drive since the SD card was not in the system.  It then went on and booted from the TIPI.

Try the above test and see what happens.  I think you indicated you had a DREM with your HFDC so that is why I mentioned removing the SD card.

LOAD-TIP 1.13 kB · 3 downloads

I removed the SD card from the DREM and replaced the LOAD-TIP file as suggested but with the same results as before.

9 hours ago, 9640News said:

LOAD-TIP 1.13 kB · 6 downloads

Is this file newer that the one in the updated Zip from Post#1 ?

My Hexeditor shows differences in the top of them:

From the Zip:

Spoiler

grafik.thumb.png.a3f989a68daee5f2c8a36fa4d4d37939.png

From today:

Spoiler

grafik.thumb.png.14d3c6aeb243d8d74a574ac959b5797c.png

6 hours ago, 9640News said:

Tried calling you..... guess you are still working on the hardware.  

After playing with an uncooperative Geneve I turned attention to a few things around the house and then spent a few hours reclaiming my desk from the Geneve OS .   Before I do any more with the Geneve OS or hardware testing, I want/need to complete some file/platter maintenance and update my working files.  I've been quite reliant on the Ramdisk given its rock-solid stability and need to be sure I have the files on a platter and backed up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

If someone could test things out, it would be appreciated.  The TIFILES header may have been different from the original zip on that file, but that is because I went through TIDIR to straighten out the header.

I'm still waiting on the mailwoman to deliver my eprom.

Maybe Monday it'll be here.

Edited by GDMike

9 hours ago, Shift838 said:

I leave the raspberry pi powered on all the time.

so I don’t think it’s that.  My TIPI is set to >1800

I leave mine plugged in all time to, one thing I also do, and I've never had a problem, is. Pull power wether it's accidentally, or power outage, or even on purpose, I've pulled power always without a shutdown or reboot command.

I know there will be that day ? that it just doesn't make it. So far that's not happening.

I now have 2 raspberry pi. 3B+, one inside tipi peb. The other is connected to a VGA monitor as it's a desktop version connected to a USB 2 terabyte hard drive that I can power up and down when I want.

And I push and pull from the tipi to that hard drive for backups.

And then I do all my automotive projects on my other pi using files on that hard drive.

Yeah I just leave them running turn it off the hard drive and turn it off the monitor that's all I do.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I leave mine plugged in all time to, one thing I also do, and I've never had a problem, is. Pull power wether it's accidentally, or power outage, or even on purpose, I've pulled power always without a shutdown or reboot command.

I know there will be that day ? that it just doesn't make it. So far that's not happening.

I now have 2 raspberry pi. 3B+, one inside tipi peb. The other is connected to a VGA monitor as it's a desktop version connected to a USB 2 terabyte hard drive that I can power up and down when I want.

And I push and pull from the tipi to that hard drive for backups.

And then I do all my automotive projects on my other pi using files on that hard drive.

Yeah I just leave them running turn it off the hard drive and turn it off the monitor that's all I do.

I have had issues more than I care to count of corrupting the SD card.  If you are using a SSD hooked up USB though then it usually is much more reliable and faster.

reimaged on same SD card and same issue.  swapped SD card to a class10 EVO and same issue.

yanked the HFDC and threw in my Myarc FDC and it goes directly to the TIPI but just sits there, no errors, but the TIPI LED just stays on.

Edited by Shift838

18 hours ago, Shift838 said:

i have also been able to finally burn a the latest TIPI DSR EPROM.  Still the same result.

i am going to try to burn a new SD Card image with the latest.

You should be burning a 27256 eprom.  The 27128 doesn't cut it.  Found that out last night myself. 

• Like 2