Jump to content
9640News

Geneve V0.99 Eprom Beta

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Shift838 said:

did the file name change for loading via TIPI ? the graphic shows 'load-tipi'.  When I tested originally i thought it was 'load-tip' ?

I took the names from here:  "Each of the attached LOAD-xxx files (specific to MFM, IDE, SCSI, TIPI) needed to be added." in the original post.  I guess I wasn't supposed to replace XXX with the four types as written.  I'll update the graphic. Updated:

image.png.56aaa17ca6015c8c45add964c684e5f8.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the new .99 EPROM looks for 'LOAD-TIP' from my understanding.  Question is... is it looking for this as a PC Name or a TIFILES name.  If TIFILES name, the LOAD-TIP in the zip file actually has a LOAD-SYS TI Filename.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

So, the new .99 EPROM looks for 'LOAD-TIP' from my understanding.  Question is... is it looking for this as a PC Name or a TIFILES name.  If TIFILES name, the LOAD-TIP in the zip file actually has a LOAD-SYS TI Filename.

 

OK, that's one of the TIDIR issues from renaming a file on the PI, the TIFILES header doesn't change with it.  As I dragged the file from my TIPI/Geneve system to the folder, it works.  One solution to "fix" the name is to copy the file to a DSK image with TIDIR, rename within the DSK image, then copy it back to the PI.

 

Tim and I have gotten bit by that issue several times.  I did not see that one when I put the zip file together.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just corrected the filenaming issue and replaced the file.  I don't think it should cause anyone problems as it wasn't causing me issues, but if someone has an issue booting from TIPI with the Eprom and the LOAD-TIP file, grab the file again.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just for info, as Fred yesterday answered my question in the other thread:

TI99DIR does not support the "/" key at the moment. It´s an known issue that he will fix now.

It took me "some" time to rename the new 730er file to the "/" because I didn´t know about this issue ;)

(Eventually I did the rename on real iron)

 

PS It is already fixed ! New TI99DIR Version 8.2b is out now :)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

And while I was at it, here´s a small update :) I made some optical design changes

(Info: This is the very small part of a very big list, so pls do not wonder about the headlines.

 I do not change them for every beta list)

 

*** list was removed because of next update ***   :) 

 see next version on POST#52 dated 09.Apr.2021

 

old thumb, just for "optical"  info:

grafik.png.6918a06908e50b674f8ebbbe3a45bb86.png

 

 

 

 

Edited by Schmitzi
list was updated (next: -> Post #52)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

 

And while I was at it, here´s a small update :) I made some optical design changes

(Info: This is the very small part of a very big list, so pls do not wonder about the headlines.

 I do not change them for every beta list)

 

 

grafik.thumb.png.8886ef98072926d6bdce5ff9d505caf0.png

First entry is good from at least 1.14 & 0.97H  to V7.30 with the 0.98 eprom.

 

The V1.14 came before V0.97, as I distributed 1.14 in Vol 1 #1 of 9640News.

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Anyone trying out the Eprom yet?

I have the EPROM burned and running in my Geneve with MDOS 7.30 on my HFDC

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Great, that's the first step.  Do you have a TIPI in your system?

 

I tried to boot MDOS 7.30 from my TIPI but no go.  

 

Copied both SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD-TIP to the root of TIPI (DSK0).  the correct file type and ti file name show.

 

 

Logs do not show much.

 

2021-04-08 12:54:51,792 TipiService : INFO     physical mode enabled
2021-04-08 12:54:51,793 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready
2021-04-08 12:57:56,146 TipiService : INFO     physical mode enabled
2021-04-08 12:57:56,146 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready

 

 

tipi730-2.PNG

tipi730-1.PNG

Edited by Shift838

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you booted fine with the TIPI before, didn't you when we were beta testing?  I know it boots from my Geneve with HFDC/DREM and a TIPI in that system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 10:31 PM, 9640News said:

First entry is good from at least 1.14 & 0.97H  to V7.30 with the 0.98 eprom.

 

The V1.14 came before V0.97, as I distributed 1.14 in Vol 1 #1 of 9640News.

 

 

 

 

Hi, is "V1.14" an eprom or an MDOS-version ? Same question for the "V0.97"

And what means "first entry is good" ? The first I have written down in the sheet,

or a new one, to be added first ? Sorry but my englitsch does not always work :)

thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 9640News said:

But you booted fine with the TIPI before, didn't you when we were beta testing?  I know it boots from my Geneve with HFDC/DREM and a TIPI in that system.

yes.  I booted fine when we were beta testing.  I've reburned the EPROM with the same results just in case I got them mixed up.  

 

 

Edited by Shift838

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schmitzi said:

 

Hi, is "V1.14" an eprom or an MDOS-version ? Same question for the "V0.97"

And what means "first entry is good" ? The first I have written down in the sheet,

or a new one, to be added first ? Sorry but my englitsch does not always work :)

thanks

 

V1.14 and 0.97H were both versions of MDOS.  V1.14 called the Myarc HFDC as hDS1 instead of HDS1 unless someone edited the image.  Version 0.97H came after V1.14, and I think at that point in time, it used HDS1.  I think, but not 100% sure, there may have been a V0.95H and V0.96H that were very short lived.

 

My news articles in 9640News in each issue would or should have discussed this.


Beery

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shift838 said:

yes.  I booted fine when we were beta testing.  I've reburned the EPROM with the same results just in case I got them mixed up.  

 

 

Keep in mind LOAD-TIP must be at TIPI.LOAD-TIP.  It is the “-“ with the 0.99 eprom.  With the 1.00 or 0.98, it would be the “/“ character.  I would copy the file twice with both names and do the same with SYSTEM-SYS and SYSTEM/SYS.

 

Beery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Keep in mind LOAD-SYS must be at TIPI.LOAD-SYS.  It is the “-“ with the 0.99 eprom.  With the 1.00 or 0.98, it would be the “/“ character.  I would copy the file twice with both names and do the same with SYSTEM-SYS and SYSTEM/SYS.

 

Beery

isn´t it TIPI.LOAD-TIP ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Keep in mind LOAD-TIP must be at TIPI.LOAD-TIP.  It is the “-“ with the 0.99 eprom.  With the 1.00 or 0.98, it would be the “/“ character.  I would copy the file twice with both names and do the same with SYSTEM-SYS and SYSTEM/SYS.

 

Beery

I have copied it from a floppy disk image as well as just dragging to my tipi share.  Still a no go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hi, my standard Geneve has 576KB RAM and the 1.0 BIOS.

 

Can I - technically - use the new 0.99er Eprom ?

 

If so,

what will I miss ? (Boot-Menu ?)

what will I win ?  (Booting from IDE + TIPI ?)

 

I have nothing to lose on that machine... ;)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

 

Hi, my standard Geneve has 576KB RAM and the 1.0 BIOS.

 

Can I - technically - use the new 0.99er Eprom ?

 

If so,

what will I miss ? (Boot-Menu ?)

what will I win ?  (Booting from IDE + TIPI ?)

 

I have nothing to lose on that machine... ;)

 

You will lose the boot menu, and should add the ability to boot from IDE and TIPI.

 

You will see the Swan, then the devices are tested for loading from the HRD, HFDC, SCSI, IDE, TIPI, and then finally DSK from 0.99.  No Device #2's, no menus.

 

My 2 cents, if you have nothing in that system, and will be purchasing something to add, then TIPI is the route to go.  No if's, and's, or butt's about it.  Add a TIPI and then you open up the internet potential, pretty much unlimited file storage, and if you have multiple PI's, the quick and easy exchange of files using a PC computer with a network share with all drives mapped to be accessible.


My Windows 10 PC, I have mapped all 4 of my PI's to Drive T, U, V, and W.  Click/Copy and then Paste to another PI.  Provides easy backup as well if you copy your PI shared files to a PC drive as well in the event a SD card fails.

 

Beery

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 9640News said:

 

...

 

My 2 cents, if you have nothing in that system, and will be purchasing something to add, then TIPI is the route to go.  No if's, and's, or butt's about it.  Add a TIPI and then you open up the internet potential, pretty much unlimited file storage, and if you have multiple PI's, the quick and easy exchange of files using a PC computer with a network share with all drives mapped to be accessible.


...

 

Beery

 

 

yes thanks :thumbsup:  My new IDEs are on the way to me, some TIPIs are already here (need another Rasp PI then)

I did not have any time for TIPI yet, as I have to do more with the Geneve, first ;)

So for now I think, I will have an IDE inside this system to have local boot and storage,

and the TIPI is easier to explore then...
 

PS: hmm, losing the Bootmenu would be a very sad thing, anyway.... this is a really cool feature 💘

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

PS: hmm, losing the Bootmenu would be a very sad thing, anyway.... this is a really cool feature 💘

 

But how often used?  Keep the V1.00 around if you ever find yourself in a situation where you really booger'd up your system😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...