IGNORED

Geneve V0.99 Eprom

9640News

Edit!!! Hold the boat. 

I had tried this four times but apparently it takes five.

I am restored my go-tech flash drive and I use tdir and I copied over the sis file that I needed so I did it again here I only had done it once before so I did it on this fifth try it just started from scratch and I copy that m.7 last. And it worked this time so it was me sorry to give y'all such a hard time!!

I don't know if I can access tipi but I can boot.

Edited by GDMike

Testing with Matt's latest TIPI eprom revision with the PFM+ system.  First time booting after power-up, locked up with default PFM load.  Power cycle PEBox, but not PI, and MDOS loads from the PFM+.

At this point, attempt to do a DIR of the TIPI, and light stays on.  With the eprom in the PFM+ system, all the logs ever show is shown below.  Last night, first time, I was able to do a DIR on the TIPI, just could not go into GPL mode and have access.  Tonight, no access from MDOS mode.  

2021-04-15 19:40:23,839 TipiService : INFO     physical mode enabled
2021-04-15 19:40:23,840 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready

I also power cycled the PI again, and tried a HFDC boot.  System locked up with the TIPI light staying on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GDMike said:

1st I'm reporting what I've encountered.

I placed a known working gotek flash drive in my drive 1 gotek. Folder 2 has served as my geneve boot disk previously.

Now as soon as geneve splash screen (swan) shows, I become unable to change folders on the gotek and, btw, mdos 7 is on folder 2 now.

When I pull the Geneve out, I should be able to move from folder to folder in the gotek file structure, but it locks at folder 2.

The only way to recover is by formatting the flash drive and put my backups + the new MDOS all on the flash drive again.

And then previous to boot but at power up, I'm able to change folders like normal again, but, then again I'm corrupted as soon as well it seems when the swan appears and it tried reading the gotek.

I've gone through this 4 times so I'm sure this is going on.

Ok. Now, as far as removing the tipi card and booting again from geneve, that didn't seem to matter either. I still got corruption just like before.

So I put that tipi card back in.

My tipi is default drive 0,1 unchanged so that I can use floppy. 

This controller is the ti controller with the modification of 40/80/80.

Other than that I understood that to boot was only from floppy IF I have the floppy controller installed. Maybe that's not right?

Someone can straighten me out on this.

If I want to try to BOOT from tipi Is there something that has to be setup in a file somewhere first? I'm not, again understanding how to force the Geneve to look on, let's say, drive 3 of tipi.

I'm hoping it's simple. At this point I don't have a way of editing a file.

The ti-99 I use has to share this box, until my tipi for PEB and floppy controller come in for my other box.

Please also note we are testing various things with the TIPI eprom.  Some people are having success, others will likely need a TIPI eprom update as well. 

Last time I heard (2 weeks ago), you did not want to test the mouse driver test program I provided that would have given you feedback whether you indeed had video issues as you had already decided you had video issues and were going to ship your Geneve off to someone. If you have video issues, then you are highly unlikely to be able to boot from the TIPI until your video issue is resolved.  The TIPI DSR only passes data through VDP during the load process.

The Geneve V0.99 Bios looks only at DSK0. for LOAD-TIP and SYSTEM-SYS on the TIPI.  It does not look for anything mapped to DSK1 on the TIPI drive.  DSK0. is equivalent to TIPI. and is at the root level.  Keep in mind the "/" has been replaced with a "-" symbol in the filename.

As far as using V0.99 and loading MDOS from a floppy, you need to have the filename SYSTEM-SYS on a TI, CC, or Myarc FDC card.  

As far as what is happening with your Gotek system, I am unable to speculate what may be happening there.   On the outside chance, did you put SYSTEM-SYS on a mapped DSK1.  TIPI directory?  If so, remove it. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Sorry to bother you again, but I'm just now wondering how I can access, if I can, a tipi drive. I have DSK3 and DSK4 both set at folders on tipi.

I've got geneve booted with MDOS 7 and using beta eprom.0.99.

That's where I'm confused ??

First, you should be able to type:

DIR TIP1.

at the MDOS prompt and get a directory on the TIPI.  Note, that is TIP and the digit "1", not an "I" (eye).

You can then do an ASSIGN E=TIP1: in your AUTOEXEC so drive letter E: is mapped to TIP1.

As far as the use of TIPI mapping of DSK1, DSK2, DSK3, and DSK4 on the TIPI, read the REMAP instructions in the DIS/VAR 80 file.  This is all explained there with examples that you can add to your AUTOEXEC file.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 9640News said:

First, you should be able to type:

DIR TIP1.

at the MDOS prompt and get a directory on the TIPI.  Note, that is TIP and the digit "1", not an "I" (eye).

You can then do an ASSIGN E=TIP1: in your AUTOEXEC so drive letter E: is mapped to TIP1.

As far as the use of TIPI mapping of DSK1, DSK2, DSK3, and DSK4 on the TIPI, read the REMAP instructions in the DIS/VAR 80 file.  This is all explained there with examples that you can add to your AUTOEXEC file.

Ok. I've hung. On DIR TIP1.

After you confirm whether you do or don't have video issues with the MDTEST program or tell me someone else fixed your Geneve, we can try continuing to support you.  Make sure you also read the notes in the TIPI V0.99 eprom zip file.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 9640News said:

After you confirm whether you do or don't have video issues with the MDTEST program or tell me someone else fixed your Geneve, we can try continuing to support you.  Make sure you also read the notes in the TIPI V0.99 eprom zip file.

Video issue? How's that got to do with this? Hehe.. anyway. I was just reporting, I thought that was what someone asked of us....

Well I'll just go back to what works well, the ti until someone figures it out.

It was a beta... not a release..theres no support for that, but maybe you missed that memo. Lol.

I was just reporting what I found. Your not being asked anything. 

It's simple. 

You either want to know or you don't?

I don't expect this to be easy, I'm just reporting....

Later...

8 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Well I'll just go back to what works well, the ti until someone figures it out.

It was a beta... not a release..theres no support for that, but maybe you missed that memo. Lol.

I was just reporting what I found. Your not being asked anything. 

It's simple. 

You either want to know or you don't?

I don't expect this to be easy, I'm just reporting....

Later...

There's support, but you aren't providing some of the necessary feedback that has been requested.  So, if you aren't going to answer, then there is no need proceeding further.

18 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Waiting.

16 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Video issue? How's that got to do with this? Hehe.. anyway. I was just reporting, I thought that was what someone asked of us....

Previously answered.

Has nothing to do with reporting what he asked about a beta tester for geneve.

My machine as I reported before works fine and GPL works fine in TI mode works fine with a mouse as I reported before I have problems with fourth plus and then someone reported to me don't you think fourth plus has problems and that's why it wasn't released and I said maybe. It's okay I don't need to be part of this. They can figure it out and when the fix is out I'll apply it it's simple enough in the meantime geneve can go on the shelf. This machine came out of the shop two months ago by the way from Chris and Tim. It may still have trouble it may not it doesn't report anything when I use it normally normally meaning GPL mode TI mode.

Did they test it in the other modes I have no clue. It's okay when they get there you prom fixed I'll apply the fix and then maybe I can write some code a little easier by accessing the tipi.

This was a beta test there was nothing final. I know that. It's just a report of what I encountered.

So I'll put my machine on the shelf and wait for you guys to finish fixing it as you got a long ways to go. And I know everybody appreciates the time that y'all put into it. Just like me I'm going to go put some time into another program that I'm going to be working on but it's not on the genev cuz I can't use the geneve and the way that I would like to use it with the tipi access. Which is the heart of my new program of accessing Google and having it translated back into the ti side.

And I can do that on the ti  I don't need to do it on the geneve.

Well I hope to be able to do it it ain't started yet but it's just a plan.

Anyway no hard feelings good luck on the project.

@GDMike, what Berry is trying to get across is that a few weeks ago, you were stating that you may have video issues. You said you were going to have someone look into it. The Geneve uses video memory as disk buffers, so if there is a video issue then the disks hard, floppy, or whatever, will not work correctly. The Geneve must be working, include video, to boot from any device. If that is not resolved then you can let the Geneve set on the shelf for 15 years and it still will not boot, no matter how up to date the process is. You haven't said that the video is fixed, if there ever was a problem to begin with and that is frustrating  the diagnosis process. Hope my 2 cents helped.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

have video issues.

In Forth+ and I think I said it 4 times, the mouse works fine. No need to test.

Video works fine but not in FORTH+

So the decision was do I send it back for diags, or abandon FORTH+ approach to hres graphics. Simple, 

Oh... what's that... simple. stop using Forth and use what works. Uh..MDOS works... Ti mode, GPL... mouse, ram disk, directories...nuff said.

What might Not work is tipi beta at the moment? For me. Nahh. For others, some yes, some no. I heard.. or did I not hear that...

In this case,it's locking up. 

So......it doesn't work for me either.

Done- it's over. I'm sure they'll fix it. And I'll bet you it'll work on mine too. 

Edited by GDMike

10 hours ago, GDMike said:

Sorry, I edited all that out. As it was a corrupted file on my side. All is good at boot.

I'm just now trying to understand what it takes to access a tipi drive.

Ty

GDMike,

I apologize if I sounded a bit harsh last night, but there were questions being asked and left unanswered.  Here is the background.

With your Geneve Forth work with the mouse driver and video modes, you posted video evidence suggesting you have a video problem.  At this point, you have provided no evidence to the contrary.  Stating the Forth code you were using was at fault at this point as it was not a completed package, does not explain the video evidence as @InsaneMultitasker posted a couple of messages back.  That is why I posted the Mouse Driver and Mouse Driver test program (MDTEST) in the Forth topic where you can run through the tests and we can have assurances one way or the other. 

To load MDOS from the TIPI, video ram buffers are used as it is basically loading MDOS from a "TI-99/4A like environment".  If there is a problem with the video ram or 9938 chip, the MDTEST program should give us an indication as it uses more than the 16K of VRAM typically seen in a TI-99/4A mode.  Then, AND ONLY THEN, can we rule out hardware issues on your specific Geneve.

I asked you to read the beta eprom docs, when I should have asked you to read the Geneve730 docs.  There was a note in the DIS/VAR 80 file regarding the TIPI eprom version, as well as the CPLD version.  Not knowing when you acquired your TIPI, we need to confirm your CPLD version as well as eprom version.  The CPLD update was required for Geneve use.  I do not think there is a way to determine the CPLD version directly.  If there is, maybe @jedimatt42 can indicate how.  Purchase date from Atariage assuming that is how you acquired the card should guide us there.  If it was one of the very first batch of cards, then likely it has not been updated.  That update was only required for it to be used on the Geneve.

Once MDOS is loaded, in MDOS mode @InsaneMultitasker is able to do transfers to CPU ram. Video Ram is only used if you are in GPL mode or your MDOS program requests the use of video ram for DSR data transfers.  Your system is the first one that has not recognized the TIPI.  So, at this point, we need feedback to isolate the issue(s). 

I know this is a Beta 0.99 eprom, but at this point, your symptoms can not be attributed to the bios eprom.  If there is an issue at the bios eprom, we need to rule out the other items first.  Now, I will say the Geneve development work has identified some opportunities for some changes at the TIPI and/or PI level simply because the Geneve has more speed and is being used in different manners than the TI-99/4A.  So, there may be updates there. 

It should be noted, when I get home tonight, I have a number of tests to conduct as @jedimatt42 and @InsaneMultitasker were able to test some changes which may explain the PFM+ issues primarily driven by Geneve's speed and how the TIPI/PI is used versus the way TI-99/4A users use it.

Beery

• Like 2