IGNORED

Jaguar dust flap

cmoxm1983

I think I saw a 3d printed piece you could stick in the cart slot on etsy many years ago.  Imo it didn't look that great aesthetically, and you'd have to manually remove it each time you placed a cartridge in the slot.

Many people just leave a cart in the slot, if you're concerned about having a circuit board in the slot, you could just use an empty plastic cartridge shell to basically cover the components in the slot without actually having a circuit board in contact with the slot pins. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cmoxm1983 said:

How about someone create a custom dust flap for the Atari Jaguar? I mean something similar to the Nintendo 64 or Sega Mega Drive.

I do not think there is a way of adding such a thing to the Jaguar without out either clipping some big ugly thing over the top of the Jaguar or hacking a big hole in the case to accommodate it as the thickness of the flaps would narrow the width of the cartridge slot thereby preventing correct cartridge insertion.

Apart from the aforementioned options perhaps the only other thing you could try is to cut a couple of strips of thin, flexible clear plastic (i.e. from a bag) and tape them alone the length of the cartridge slot with the strips meeting in the middle of the slots width. That may be enough to reduce dust ingress while still permitting cartridge insertion/removal

However, it is not a solution I would try myself as it probably would not look very nice or last very long. I usually just re-box my Jag when I have finished with it and if I were to leave it out I would be looking at an all over dust cover.

I think there would be a market making a dust flap for the Jaguar. Do you guys know of anyone that could do this? I think a good idea would be a flap that could sit in the slot and maybe be secured with some self-adhesive. Someone has to have a better idea or making one. Someone needs to think up of a way to make a dust flap for the Jaguar.

No, there is not enough demand to make a custom part because it would require modification to the plastic shell of the jaguar to have a hinged flap like the genesis/n64.  There are probably only few people who have the skills to do a good looking job and would want to go through the trouble to mod the jag's shell when jag's now sell for $300.

And in the end, what do you really gain from a dust flap?  I've never heard of anyone's console breaking down because the cart slot was exposed to dust for too long...

Edited by sirlynxalot

28 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

No, there is not enough demand to make a custom part because it would require modification to the plastic shell of the jaguar to have a hinged flap like the genesis/n64.  There are probably only few people who have the skills to do a good looking job and would want to go through the trouble to mod the jag's shell when jag's now sell for $300.

And in the end, what do you really gain from a dust flap?  I've never heard of anyone's console breaking down because the cart slot was exposed to dust for too long...

Pretty much this. Reshaping/cutting/filing existing plastic and making it look good is a real chore. The easiest solution to keeping out dust is to just cover the system with a soft cloth when I'm not using it.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 7:23 AM, Bratwurst said:

The easiest solution to keeping out dust is to just cover the system with a soft cloth when I'm not using it.

Respectfully disagree. The easiest solution is just leaving a cartridge in it when you're not using it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cmoxm1983 said:

If you leave the cart in the Jaguar for very extended periods of time the cart pins stretch... this will damage the console.

I hope someone decides to make a custom dust flap for the Jaguar.

My JagCD stay in Cart slot for extended periods of time, I have no problems and I don't see remove the JagCD ever time I don't use it. 

If there's interest in this I could create a custom 3D printed cover and throw it on my store. I've been meaning to make one for my Jaguar and my custom MVS console I made but neglected to design a cover. The part wouldn't be expensive since it's just a pop on "hood" you slide on when not in use.

I use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dust-cover-for-the-Atari-JAGUAR-brand-new-/373414373848

Not only does it look nice, it supports RetroVenture and through them the SillyVenture competition. It’s not as convenient as a pop-on slot cover to put aside when I’m playing, but oh well.

My spare Jag is in a sealed plain cardboard box labeled OPEN IN CASE OF EMERGENCY.

15 hours ago, cmoxm1983 said:

If you leave the cart in the Jaguar for very extended periods of time the cart pins stretch... this will damage the console.

I hope someone decides to make a custom dust flap for the Jaguar.

I always leave a cart in my Jag, but if what you're saying is true then I need to stop doing that.

Can any other people confirm or deny that the cart pins stretch over time?