IGNORED

Jaguar dust flap

cmoxm1983

6 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

Looks nice but with seemingly nothing to get hold of I am wondering how easy is it to remove for those without long fingernails to get underneath it.

Thanks! There's a notch at the back that you can use your finger on to pull up. But I haven't needed it since this really just rests on top of the cart slot. It fits loose.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:17 AM, cmoxm1983 said:

No guys I mean a proper dust flap like the Sega Mega Drive or Nintendo 64... What do you guys think? Do you think it will ever be created?

Going back to what you originally wanted, I don't know if there's the space. I looked into designing a functional spring hinged design for it awhile back but ultimately came to the conclusion it's not possible without modifying the Jag shell. The cart opening has these 2-3mm guide rails on the back wall of the cart slot that sit fairly flush with the cart itself. The cart also sits relatively close to the front of the cart slot. A spring hinged flap like on the Genesis/MD or SNES/SF would need more space to hinge inward and allow space for the cart to function properly. Not only that but you'd most likely need to semi-permanent affix the housing to the console in order to keep it from pulling out when you remove the cart. There just really isn't the space to do it. 

6 hours ago, Doomy Doomer said:

Going back to what you originally wanted, I don't know if there's the space. I looked into designing a functional spring hinged design for it awhile back but ultimately came to the conclusion it's not possible without modifying the Jag shell. The cart opening has these 2-3mm guide rails on the back wall of the cart slot that sit fairly flush with the cart itself. The cart also sits relatively close to the front of the cart slot. A spring hinged flap like on the Genesis/MD or SNES/SF would need more space to hinge inward and allow space for the cart to function properly. Not only that but you'd most likely need to semi-permanent affix the housing to the console in order to keep it from pulling out when you remove the cart. There just really isn't the space to do it. 

If you have to modify the Jaguar shell that's fine. I'm sure people would want to have a quality spring dust flap. 

4 hours ago, cmoxm1983 said:

If you have to modify the Jaguar shell that's fine. I'm sure people would want to have a quality spring dust flap. 

Fair enough. I won't cut into my Jag's shell but by all means give it a shot and see what you can come up with. I'm usually not shy about cutting into cases but the Jag's are too expensive if I messed up. I make these rear button housings for Game Boy Zero's that require you to cut a nice size square out of the back but DMG shells are dirt cheap. I did feel bad about cutting into my Sega Nomad's shell but it was for an internal battery mod and you can't tell from the outside.

Edited by Doomy Doomer

But but but but can't you hear him? I think, I think he asked politely at least 4 times, surely someone can step up and help him drill some holes in his Jag, no?

1 hour ago, cmoxm1983 said:

Come on guys someone has to be able to make a custom dust flap for the Jaguar. I'm sure we would all buy one if it was created. I'm asking can someone build one? 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

But but but but can't you hear him? I think, I think he asked politely at least 4 times, surely someone can step up and help him drill some holes in his Jag, no?

That's alright I thought someone might care, and take the next step. All other brand of consoles have dust flaps. Anyway.

On 4/11/2021 at 2:25 AM, Lost Monkey said:

I'll do it - I have an extra Jaguar BNIB that I don't need.  Might scuff it up a bit and I'll have to cut out all the plastic surrounding the current slot, but at least I care.

Can you send a picture when you have done it please. 

On 4/11/2021 at 2:25 AM, Lost Monkey said:

I'll do it - I have an extra Jaguar BNIB that I don't need.  Might scuff it up a bit and I'll have to cut out all the plastic surrounding the current slot, but at least I care.

Can you please put in a picture, once you have done work on your Jaguar with making the dust flap?

On 4/12/2021 at 7:03 PM, cmoxm1983 said:

Can you please put in a picture, once you have done work on your Jaguar with making the dust flap?

“BNIB” means “brand new in box”. I believe the poster you are replying to was being facetious and alluding to the fact that cutting into a Jaguar case is a questionable financial decision.

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

“BNIB” means “brand new in box”. I believe the poster you are replying to was being facetious and alluding to the fact that cutting into a Jaguar case is a questionable financial decision.

He said he doesn't need it. Read the post. Facetious? ?

On 4/18/2021 at 2:54 AM, cmoxm1983 said:

Isn't  there anyone who wants to have a proper dust flap for there Atari Jaguar console? I mean one that is reasonably priced?

If you have payed any sort of attention to the previous responses to your request then by now it should be clear to you that...

a) Most people think it is unnecessary. (The Jag is over 25 years old, if it was worth doing somebody would have done it by now.)  

b) It is not something that can be done simply and 

c) Nobody is willing to hack a big hole in their Jaguar case to fit a prototype that may not even work or look like an ugly bodge if it did.

I suggest you now drop the matter before you start annoying people with persistent requests for this, just because it is something you want/think is a great idea does does not mean anyone else thinks it is worthy of their time and effort and if you want it that badly you are just going to have to do it yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 4/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, cmoxm1983 said:

Isn't  there anyone who wants to have a proper dust flap for there Atari Jaguar console? I mean one that is reasonably priced?

Like this? It's free to print. Check page 2 and 3.

Edited by amiman99
  • Haha 3