IGNORED

Sophia 2 and 1088XEL - Perfection

Just a quick note- since I had the 1088XEL and Sophia (now Sophia 1) it's always had a flicker and even sometimes a 1 second blank as I would go in SDX and be doing some operation like listing a large directory etc... Mildly annoying but not a show stopper. It didn't seem to flicker inside of games or apps. It seemed to get better with a different monitor but never was gone...

Until the Sophia 2 arrived! I just got one from Brewing Academy and popped it in. You can probably guess that the 1088XEL has been rock solid and not one single flicker that I can see after using it for a few hours.

So kudos to Simius, you did and amazing job with 1 and an even better job with 2 (and no GITA chip required anymore)....

sophia_1_and_2.jpg

1088XEL_open_1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Yes: just updated my 1088XEL from Sophia 1 to Sophia 2 the other day in order to test the U1MB Sophia 2 plugin and everything works very nicely indeed. I could think of no other target machine which would allow a 2 minute install. :)

Ok, yes, I recall reading a post from you about that... once it's available I will be able to select video sizes right from my U1MB BIOS right? That will be another amazing addition to your BIOS work.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing of note that made me go around in circles for a bit.  If you have a VBXE installed in 1088XEL, and forget to reinstall the OSC jumper again, you will get nothing, not even sound.  I thought I had fried something.  Then I put the GTIA back in, and still nothing, then something niggling came back into my head.  Sure enough I looked at the 1088XEL Schema, and there was the note about making sure that OSC jumper was installed if not using VBXE.  My heart started slowing down after I put that jumper back on, and stuff started working again.  Looks great now!

• Like 1