IGNORED

US $1,150,000.00 ???? REALLY???

doctor_x

Won't post the link as I really don't want to advertise for this guy any more than I guess I already am by posting at all... But what is this all about? Does someone really think that they can score that much cash on ANYTHING atari related???

Scam? For humor??

2600, wireless controllers, and an ET landfill collage.... mindless.

48 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

It's just a marketing technique. You put something up ridiculously high, people laugh and inevitably look to see what else you are selling. They see something that is a good deal and maybe even buy it, etc, etc...

That, or sometime a seller who's out of stock presently will leave his auction/sell ads up with such a price knowing nobody will buy it, to save on the trouble of creating a new one. When he has some new stock on hand, he just modify the price to something more in line with the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

That, or sometime a seller who's out of stock presently will leave his auction/sell ads up with such a price knowing nobody will buy it, to save on the trouble of creating a new one. When he has some new stock on hand, he just modify the price to something more in line with the market.

Yeah that makes sense. I've done something similar when selling something to a specific person/etc.. Once somebody requested a custom item from me, I put it up for $1000 and told them to make an offer of $50 when they were ready to buy it. That way nobody else would buy it and they could buy it at their convenience without both of us having to be on Ebay at the exact same time/etc.. I'm not on the internet much at night or weekends so it was just easier that way for me ;) 

6 minutes ago, keithbk said:

...or money laundering...

Moving a large amount of cash onto the purchase of an overpriced "shill" item.

I think paypal put a stop to that, to transfer balance you need ss# 2 forms of ID, etc... Also any sales over 10k (possibly even less now) receive a tax form

From the Auction:

Hit BUYIT NOW and I’ll throw in a 1981 DeLorean DM-12 Automobile as a bonus !!!

The carhas been restored and updated by DMC Houston and only has 32,000 miles.

Don’tpass up this once in a lifetime deal.

LocalPick up Only!!

32k is pretty low, so let's assume a value on the high side, ~$40k for the car.  There's also an unopened copy of E.T. in there, which have been going for ~$150.  The listing doesn't apparently include the pictured console or set of wireless controllers, but of course, you do also get the landfill E.T. copy.  The only auction price I was able to find for one of those is $1,537.  But this one is signed, so let'ts just round up to $1,600.  

So, I mean, that's only $1,108,250 for the shadow box and all the other crap inside it.  So, pretty reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

I think paypal put a stop to that, to transfer balance you need ss# 2 forms of ID, etc... Also any sales over 10k (possibly even less now) receive a tax form

Ebay is no longer associated with PayPal, but now processes credit cards directly through their own methods. Not certain if money launderers are worming their way around the system again, but I wouldn't be surprised.