IGNORED

Has anyone made an arcade cabinet with a TI?

AtariNostalgia

I think it would be a really cool project to have in the living room, but I don't have much experience of doing it. Would it be better with an actual machine or something like a raspberry pie?
No because it basically requires a keyboard..

But you could do it with enough controls to play most of the games the simplest thing to do would we use a jama to PI adapter and just stick it in a arcade cabinet..

Most arcade cabinets have an RGB monitor so you'd have to convert from composite to that otherwise.. one of the ways that's done in games is to use a gen lock device..

My mame cabinets that I built had a keyboard and I ran emulators on it so we could do the ti just fine... Back then it was v9t9 in dos

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

You could use one of the keyboard solutions, usb, ps2 keyboard, or rave 99 keyboard interface, to use in a arcade system, that you could either set in a rack out of the way on the side or unplug entirely if the game were joystick only.  This would mean having a port somewhere in the cabinet to plug into.

I've thought of doing it as a dedicated Microsurgeon game, I've always thought it would be a cool game to play with dual Robotron-like joysticks. I figured I could get away with using an Arduino to automatically make it select the cartridge on boot and maybe take over a few of the keyboard selections automatically, perhaps use a keypad for some of the user inputs, dedicated arcade buttons for selecting the weapons and make the game work on a coin operated timer that locks out the controls, kind of like Exidy did with their Max-A-Flex system which used a stock Atari 400 as its base. Was going to call it the "Tex-A-Flex" system! :D 

Edited by Tornadoboy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AtariNostalgia said:

I think it would be a really cool project to have in the living room,

In the living room? Not sure this is "WAF" compatible ^_^ I made some arcade cabinets. Only one succeeded to enter in this room: Ms Pacman.

The others (Donkey Kong Jr and Star Wars Cockpit) stayed in my reserved room.

msp.jpgmspi11.jpg

Ms Pacman (Original PCB)

ndkjr9.jpgndkjr4.jpgndkjr7.jpg

Donkey Kong Jr. (Mame)

im75.jpgim71.jpg

im70.jpgim67.jpg

Star Wars Cockpit

The Starwars Cockpit has been made in 2006-2007, entierely from scratch and without any plan and original parts. To make it, I have only used pictures of the original cockpit to guess the measures of its parts.

(Mame)

http://fabrice.montupet.pagesperso-orange.fr/arcade/

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Tornadoboy said:

I've thought of doing it as a dedicated Microsurgeon game, I've always thought it would be a cool game to play with dual Robotron-like joysticks. I figured I could get away with using an Arduino to automatically make it select the cartridge on boot and maybe take over a few of the keyboard selections automatically, perhaps use a keypad for some of the user inputs, dedicated arcade buttons for selecting the weapons and make the game work on a coin operated timer that locks out the controls, kind of like Exidy did with their Max-A-Flex system which used a stock Atari 400 as its base. Was going to call it the "Tex-A-Flex" system! :D 

Of course you meant to say, Black Jack and poker for sure. But it's ok

• Haha 1

The closest arcade cabinet I have seen with an actual TI system is all of the educational stations down at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. They used a bunch of push buttons to interact with the console. I think you still can find some of them working today too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Do you have noticed what I have used to make the Yoke? ^_^

Could it be... a pair of pain-sticks?  (TI 99/4a joysticks)  That's really clever, and probably more comfortable to use in that orientation.

• Like 2

Did you use wood for most of it? I found a wood supplier and I have most of the tools I need to do it.

I'm going to use a real TI with the keyboard exposed and the Finalgrom cartridge, and an old 15 inch CRT with composite input, I have already drawn the plan by hand.

Edited by AtariNostalgia
  • Like 1