IGNORED

Coleco Sonic handheld

Hay guys this may be a weird topic but maybe someones in the same vote as me. I have a Coleco Sonic with a missing screen. If you don't know what a Coleco Sonic is it's basically a handheld mini with 20 sega master system/Game Gear games on it. It's a pretty cool little system. I just need a new screen for this thing. Maybe someone can help me find one or knows more about it then me. I think the connector has 25 pins. 

IMG_20210407_175359.jpg

IMG_20210407_175519.jpg

Heres the original screen 

16178337818297391500544808205275.jpg

16178338333442819612737450236752.jpg

Edited by kevincondrick@gmail.com

I know exactly what that is, I had one like 15 years ago more or less.  That thing later came out again, re-issued by both Blaze(UK) and ATGames(US) as the Arcade Gamer Portable.  Specifically the latest release had the long winded name of the Sega Master System & Sega Game Gear Arcade Gamer Portable. Runs on a couple batteries, has exceptional battery life, and the real kicker which is great given the age, the emulation is accurate.  Unlike all the other trash ATGames handhelds (and consoles) running the Genesis, the SMS/GG one isn't a dumpster fire of problems.  I still have the SMS+GG handheld here, keep it in my desk for random use.

I can't speak to the hardware if it's compatible or not, maybe our resident ATGames rep may have someone he can poke a stick at and ask, but if the new one uses the same cheap chinese sourced parts maybe tech sheet could be found to get an idea what a compatible LCD panel would be.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I know exactly what that is, I had one like 15 years ago more or less.  That thing later came out again, re-issued by both Blaze(UK) and ATGames(US) as the Arcade Gamer Portable.  Specifically the latest release had the long winded name of the Sega Master System & Sega Game Gear Arcade Gamer Portable. Runs on a couple batteries, has exceptional battery life, and the real kicker which is great given the age, the emulation is accurate.  Unlike all the other trash ATGames handhelds (and consoles) running the Genesis, the SMS/GG one isn't a dumpster fire of problems.  I still have the SMS+GG handheld here, keep it in my desk for random use.

I can't speak to the hardware if it's compatible or not, maybe our resident ATGames rep may have someone he can poke a stick at and ask, but if the new one uses the same cheap chinese sourced parts maybe tech sheet could be found to get an idea what a compatible LCD panel would be.

I liked the Coleco one when I was a kid and I had no idea that they rereleased it. I might have to look into getting one of those. I like this handhald because of the name. Coleco was a pretty big company in the 80/90s and made alot of good arcade ports. Also the game are pretty fun and I enjoy it. 

That first link up there, I remember that box, it's exactly the one he's asking about I had too.  It either says 2006 or 2005 on there so that sounds about right when I would have had it.  I was feeling bad having to offload my complete in box SMS console, goggles, all my boxed up games I had at the time, and it was a good pity prize and it helped me remember how damn good it was.  That's why I was shocked when I saw it was reissued a good decade about later by atgames/blaze.

This is the exact unit I have in hand here with the box/inserts in my storage closet, a good enough video I would think given the person doing it isn't a shmuck or a sellout.

• Like 1

The game list in that video is different than what I’m seeing for the Coleco Sonic and the PlayPal. I was really impressed that it included Putt & Putter, but that’s not on the other units like this.

EDIT: there are only 20 games on the Sonic and PlayPal units vs 30 on the AtGames unit, and the difference represent some of the best highlights of the Game Gear library. I wouldn’t settle for anything less than the AtGames unit after seeing that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The game list in that video is different than what I’m seeing for the Coleco Sonic and the PlayPal. I was really impressed that it included Putt & Putter, but that’s not on the other units like this.

EDIT: there are only 20 games on the Sonic and PlayPal units vs 30 on the AtGames unit, and the difference represent some of the best highlights of the Game Gear library. I wouldn’t settle for anything less than the AtGames unit after seeing that.

Yes I'm looking to find one of those. I recently picked up a ATGames Sega Genesis Portable witch was pretty similar. These ones tho are hard to find for a decent price. Most are 40/50$. 

• Like 1