mnielsenau

New F18A install issues.

Hey Guys,

Have just installed an F18A in a beige (non v2.2) console and whilst the image on screen is crystal clear, I am getting some herringbone waves (ground loop interference) on the screen. I am using a VGA to HDMI (USB powered) adapter as I do not have a monitor at the moment that has a VGA connector. 

I have tried the usual ground loop correction things like having the monitor and the TI plugged into the same wall socket etc. I have also tried a number of different brands and model numbers for VGA to HDMI converters. Some are better than others, but all have some sort of interference that comes in waves from time to time. I am considering ferrite beads on all of the wires, but I just need to get some to test. I am running V1.8 of the firmware as when I tried V1.9 there was some strange blurring effects on some spots on the screen. Also the herringbone waves were still there so I downgraded back to V1.8 which at least is clear apart from the waves of interference. 

I also made sure that there was no interference on screen with the original 9918A chip installed before I installed the F18A. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this issue and if anyone has any advise as to how to rectify?

I absolutely love the F18A and I can't wait to see its screen without the interference. 

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

mnielsenau

Have you tried the f18a on just a vga monitor? If the screen looks crisp and clear then I would say it is a converter issue. I recently got my f18a and it looks good on its intended target a vga monitor, I will have to see how it performs on one of my HDMI converters.

yes occam's razor is the converter is the likely culprit..  try a retrotink OR a real vga monitor.. they can be found at goodwill usually for cheap 

• Like 1

If they werent such boat anchors, that cost more to ship than they are worth... I would give one of the . (ahem) small collection in my upstairs storage.

Posted (edited)

Yep I definitely think it is the VGA to HDMI converter, but I think I will try the ferrite beads on a few of the cables before I invest in a Retrotink. Else I will go and buy a refurbed $30 4:3 VGA LCD monitor on Facebook marketplace....

Am loving the F18A - I don't know how I managed to get along without using 80 columns for all those years... :) @arcadeshopper Thanks for the tip on using Force Command on TIPI... Love that command line interface - am reliving my MS-DOS days all over again!

Edited by mnielsenau
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wierd_w said:

If they werent such boat anchors, that cost more to ship than they are worth... I would give one of the . (ahem) small collection in my upstairs storage.

@wierd_w Thanks for the offer on the VGA monitor :) but you are right the shipping to Singapore would be HORRENDOUS  :) :)