IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback

themewsh

9 minutes ago, themewsh said:

Any word out there on whether or not there will be a re-issue of the Intellivision Flashback? Prices are kinda high on the auction sites.

There was going to be a Intellivision Flashback 2, but that was nixed with Tommy Tallarico took over and created IE.

• Sad 1

Would love to see an Intellivision II flashback, even if it had the same games!

Change the coloring / design to match the Intellivision II and correct the wiring for the controllers.

Keep the controller design the same!  I love these controllers, just the wiring was a bummer.

If you felt like adding an SD slot or some homebrew games...  I'd be okay with that too. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder... If you hold shares in Amico, does this include IP?

Could we vote to revive the relationship with AtGames?  ( clearly something went down? ) Would we want to?

If not a reissue, how about just replacement controllers being made available?

I have 6 or 8?  Don't remember.  But I use the Ultimate Flashback almost exclusively these days.  So, I would like some spare controllers around.

Plus, I have sold almost all of my original Intellivision spare controllers and replacement parts recently.

1 hour ago, 1980gamer said:

I wonder... If you hold shares in Amico, does this include IP?

Could we vote to revive the relationship with AtGames?  ( clearly something went down? ) Would we want to?

I don't have any stake in the Amico world so I can't speak to shares or votes, but I would imagine that with tooling done and the guts done it would just be a matter of the business folks coming to an agreement on licensing and cost. Maybe there could be a "special edition" made to match pre-orders or something and if it hit the MOQ they run that batch and call it a day? That said, I'm not in manufacturing or licensing so that is very much just a consumer perspective, it certainly seems like there's at least some money being left on the table by not doing another run from the outside looking in.

Edited by themewsh

34 minutes ago, themewsh said:

I don't have any stake in the Amico world so I can't speak to shares or votes, but I would imagine that with tooling done and the guts done it would just be a matter of the business folks coming to an agreement on licensing and cost. Maybe there could be a "special edition" made to match pre-orders or something and if it hit the MOQ they run that batch and call it a day? That said, I'm not in manufacturing or licensing so that is very much just a consumer perspective, it certainly seems like there's at least some money being left on the table by not doing another run from the outside looking in.

I agree that money is being left on the table.

The question for Tommy is...  Does he think that an AtGames Intellivision would steal business from the upcoming Amico release?

I think no.  I think that the At Games product is for OLD Dudes like me.  

Where the Amico is a much bigger audience.. Ages 3 to 103 LOL  

Perhaps they have other plans?  Now that they are manufacturing a product, maybe they plan to make an in-house "flashback"?

Or planning to release "game packs" of Intellivision games on the Amico?  Again, I think that is a Retro audience...  I will buy that as well as a flashback ( with corrected wiring on the controllers! )

Ultimately, I just want a source of controllers for the next 35-40 years!  Hopefully longer!

I am bad at these games at my current age... How bad can I get in another 40 years!  :)   Hope to find out!   New  peak score on Astrosmash!  3,225   :o  As long as I am having fun... I'll keep playing!

Another question is if AtGames would even still be interested.

In the past year or so, they've wound down their plug and play business (And the Atari Flashback Classics compilations on consoles) that targeted casual buyers that have their interest piqued when they see something out of their childhood on store shelves. In their place are far more expensive devices aimed at the more dedicated classic gaming enthusiasts.

Other than the Legends Core (The heart of their arcade cabinet that's been consolized for standalone use) and some small scale reissues of the Atari Flashback X, they've essentially left this business segment behind them. I'm not so sure they'd be interested in 2021 in investing resources into properly producing an Intellivision Flashback 2 or even dusting off their aged original for a reissue. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

I agree that money is being left on the table.

The question for Tommy is...  Does he think that an AtGames Intellivision would steal business from the upcoming Amico release?

I think no.  I think that the At Games product is for OLD Dudes like me.  

Where the Amico is a much bigger audience.. Ages 3 to 103 LOL  

Perhaps they have other plans?  Now that they are manufacturing a product, maybe they plan to make an in-house "flashback"?

Or planning to release "game packs" of Intellivision games on the Amico?  Again, I think that is a Retro audience...  I will buy that as well as a flashback ( with corrected wiring on the controllers! )

Ultimately, I just want a source of controllers for the next 35-40 years!  Hopefully longer!

I am bad at these games at my current age... How bad can I get in another 40 years!  :)   Hope to find out!   New  peak score on Astrosmash!  3,225   :o  As long as I am having fun... I'll keep playing!

The Amico will have classic Intellivision game packs.  Not to mention that the Evercade handheld is getting an Intellivision collection cartridge as well.  That all being said, I doubt we will ever get another Intellivision Flashback.

I just wish that those flashbacks (CV and Intellivision) came a little bit later. No HDMI, no SD Card slot, not a whole lot going on there. I would like to have them, but not at $150ish.

LFB with hack plays CV. I havent seen a prebuilt Intellivision core that will work on it tho. But, I did get Odyssey 2 running.

Edited by Draxxon

• 4 months later...

I miss the cheap Flashbacks, but even as a fan I would agree they were a bit played out. 

Another Intellivision Flashback seems unlikely for the business reasons stated, but it also sounds like neither it or the Colecovision version sold well enough to justify another run. Even though we loved it, Intellivision was always on the niche side. 

@Byte Knight are you still willing to do brain transplants of old Flashbacks with Raspberry Pi boards and USB controller adapters? That seems like the right way to emulate the old Intellivision. Or the jailbreak core on the NT Mini Noir, which is what I enjoy. 

• Like 1

We did get both the coleco and intellivision cores running on the Legends Flashbacks with custom firmware.

Your limited to the sega genesis pads and on screen keyboards, but, you can still find the 50 games version LFB for deals.

Same for the atari flashback 9/x, but you're stuck with the 1 button atari joystick and OSKs.

Edited by Draxxon

On 4/8/2021 at 12:30 PM, 1980gamer said:

Would love to see an Intellivision II flashback, even if it had the same games!

Change the coloring / design to match the Intellivision II and correct the wiring for the controllers.

Keep the controller design the same!  I love these controllers, just the wiring was a bummer.

If you felt like adding an SD slot or some homebrew games...  I'd be okay with that too. ;)

...maybe fix the glitched games so we can actually play them :)

On 8/9/2021 at 9:18 PM, Flojomojo said:

@Byte Knight are you still willing to do brain transplants of old Flashbacks with Raspberry Pi boards and USB controller adapters? That seems like the right way to emulate the old Intellivision. Or the jailbreak core on the NT Mini Noir, which is what I enjoy. 

Still doing it!  Although requests are becoming fewer and farther between...

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 10:18 PM, Flojomojo said:

I miss the cheap Flashbacks, but even as a fan I would agree they were a bit played out. 

If you already have a working one, no reason to get another.  The fact that used ones are hard to get might indicate there is demand.  Lots of people didn't get one, new people come into the hobby all the time.  Especially with Intellivision kids getting into their 50s and then retirement.

Like Hwlngmad said, the new rights holder cancelled the idea of more Atgames Intellivision Flashbacks.  I don't think Atgames needs permission to make more controllers; probably wouldn't interest them.  Despite the deal with Evercade and talks with Arcade1Up, I have the impression Intellivision Entertainment aren't in favour of doing a deal for another company making some sort of mini Intellivision.

Besides the Evercade, for people with the know how there are lots of ways to emulate Intellivision.  And it's okay for some games, but people will want Intellivision controllers.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Short answer: YES!  Instead of an updated Intellivision Flashback 2 with (potentitally) more games and/or HDMI we got f*ckin' vaporware.  Oh well, at least the original came out.

I'm surprised they asked him to take the video down about the Flashback.

What is sad is the Intv Flashback would probably sell more. :P I know people knock AtGames but they can at least get products out the door. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I'm surprised they asked him to take the video down about the Flashback.

What is sad is the Intv Flashback would probably sell more. :P I know people knock AtGames but they can at least get products out the door. 

I am not surprised considering that IE probably doesn't want people to feel even more hoodwinked than they probably already do.

Also, hey, people can knock AtGames all they want.  But, they are still around, have been proven to be successfully, and have dramatically improved the quality of their products.  It is a (bit of a) shame that we didn't get an Intellivision FB2.

• Like 1