IGNORED

Mandelbrot Explorer in 10 lines of Atari BASIC

solidcorp

Atari-Basic-Mandelbrot-Explorer.gif

I made a Mandelbrot Explorer in 10 lines of Atari BASIC for the 2021 BASIC 10 Liner contest. 

You can get the program, instructions, and a lot of details in the blog post I wrote about it on the Workshop88 makerspace blog here: http://blog.workshop88.com/2021/03/21/an-interactive-mandelbrot-set-explorer-in-10-lines-of-atari-basic/

It contains more about developing a compact Atari BASIC program than any modern human is probably interested in ;-).

While doing the project I decided to try to make some Mandelbrot Set zoom videos from the color cycling Atari video captures.  It was harder than I thought but I did it!  Atari Chiptunes artist Adam Sporka generously contributed the music created on Atari 800 computers.

Here is the blog post about making the videos: http://blog.workshop88.com/2021/04/04/atari-8-bit-mandelbrot-set-zoom-videos/

Everything you see and hear in the following videos was created on Atari 8 bit computers:

YouTube playlist of 12 Mandelbrot Zoom videos with colored rectangles every time the image doubles in size:

YouTube playlist of the same 12 Mandelbrot Zoom videos without the colored rectangles.

Let me know what you think!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, danwinslow said:

Wow, that's cool. Amazing. How long does it take to render?

It depends on the depth, at the deepest levels one still color cycling image can take ~16 hours, possibly a whole day for a real Atari computer or emulator running at normal speed based on my calculation.  This is why I wrote the multiresolution renderer.  I ran the emulator as fast as it could run to do the rendering which was often 3000% speed on my machines give or take - so like 20-30 minutes -ish on average.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, drac030 said:

"Press joy button" - where it is said that everyone owns a joystick?

Frankly, it was easier than reading the keyboard asyncrhonously in 10 lines of Atari BASIC. 
STICK(0), and STRIG(0) are built into the language but I would have to peek to access keycodes, which also are not nice and sequential.

I wish you the good fortune of a joystick (or an emulator that can emulate one like Atari800Win-PLus, which I think is also from Poland!)

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, solidcorp said:

possibly a whole day for a real Atari computer

Nice program ! I took the liberty to heavily modify it. No more joystick to start, cleaned it up, etc. It's now 30 lines, a nessesary thing. Takes about an hour w/ my real 1200xl using BASICXE w/ FAST command. 

The Workshop88 blog site had an issue and had to be restored - here are the new links:

https://workshop88.com/oldblog/index.php/2021/03/21/an-interactive-mandelbrot-set-explorer-in-10-lines-of-atari-basic/

https://workshop88.com/oldblog/index.php/2021/04/04/atari-8-bit-mandelbrot-set-zoom-videos/

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yea, @Ricky Spanish please share your version ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, solidcorp said:

I was limited to 10 lines due to the contest of course, I'm glad you enjoyed and customized it. 
It could be MUCH faster using machine language in a USR command or in page 6, maybe someone could take a try at that? ?

I did Mandelbrot browser some time back .. but full assembler. Starts in 16 bit precision but can go up to 32 bit. Don't want to brag but I doubt it can be done much faster. I used all known tricks and then some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, R0ger said:

I did Mandelbrot browser some time back .. but full assembler. Starts in 16 bit precision but can go up to 32 bit. Don't want to brag but I doubt it can be done much faster. I used all known tricks and then some.

I did see this before, it is really awesome!