IGNORED

All my 130XEs (3) getting bad video suddenly

Bee

I have a new Sony 55 inch flat screen TV using Composite Video in.  When it came in December 2020 my 130EX on a Lotherk composite cable was Blue.  When I booted it the other day I noticed the Blue is decidedly Pail Green now.  I'm seeing the same thing on 2 other 130XEs.  2 out of the 3 are having issues with the option key.  One of these is about 16 months out of Best NOS Mianboard.  I have a possible keyboard fix from another thread, this is mainly regarding the shift in video.  On my XEGS, same screen, on a double shielded composite cable it's blue as can be like a new unit out of the box back in the day.     

Any ideas?  Would A UAV fix  it this or is it a sign these are going south?

Thank you

I'm using a Brewing Academy USB power cable on a 1A usb powers supply.  I will take a look at 5v on the ISO. I should mention the same composite cable on a XL with the same power source is Blue background not Green.

Thank you

Sherlock Homes once said, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left must be the truth"..   

The odds of all 3 of your machines doing this at the same time are slim at best.

What else do they have in common?

a) the PS ... Try a genuine Atari PS.

b) the composite cable itself?  (have you tried --them on monitor-svideo yet?)

c you said the TV was new?????  could it be the TV????   composite is an afterthought today by the manufacturers.

Edited by ColleenLover
spelling lol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK the question is are we learning something or am I learning something?  I have found really interesting results.

USB cable on a 1A power charger = SIO 4.653V pail green background jail bars

Atari Brick 1A power supply = SIO 4.757V much more blue with jail bars

Atari Brick 1.5A power supply = SIO 4.757V Blue Blue no jail bars ( 2nd one still has them but can't see them unless I'm right on top of it so Improved greatly, 3rd one is somewhere between 1 & 2)

So it's not just the voltage alone.  I want to thank you all for your input.  I wouldn't have gotten here without it.

Thank you

Edited by Bee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bee said:

I still have to pop the hood and check the pot but SIO shows 4.653V from FujiNet.

4.7V is barely enough. That's low enough to make SIDE2 not read CF cards. I wonder if measuring from the Fujinet is giving you a lower measurement that from the SIO or joystick port directly. Try measuring between pin 7 & 8 (careful not to short them together :) )

post-53052-0-02583900-1523342578.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

Try measuring between pin 7 & 8 (careful not to short them together :) )

Yeah, who approved of this design with the power & ground pins right next to each other?  They should have at least swapped pins 6 & 7, and maybe 5 & 8 as well.

7 hours ago, Nezgar said:

4.7V is barely enough. That's low enough to make SIDE2 not read CF cards. I wonder if measuring from the Fujinet is giving you a lower measurement that from the SIO or joystick port directly. Try measuring between pin 7 & 8 (careful not to short them together :) )

The FujiNet measurement may well be incorrect (too low). See this post and following for technical discussion. 

14 hours ago, Bee said:

I still have to pop the hood and check the pot but SIO shows 4.653V from FujiNet.  Same as my XEGS.  I will find an original power bick and try it as well.

Don't use FujiNet for the measurements; it can only tell you what it thinks it's seeing at the SIO port.  It's also not 100% accurate.  Fine for a rough idea of what might be going on where it's plugged in, but not really intended for use beyond that.

Measure voltage at the power adapter.  With the 8bitclassics / TBA power cables, it's a lot easier to do this at the DIN connector on the cable.

As recommended, swap out for a 1.5A (minimum) power supply.  I'm using 2.5A RasPi PSUs on the machines here and they work great.  They're also inexpensive and easily-obtained, though you may need to add micro-USB to USB-A adapters to them.

• Like 1

The power supply has an effect on the color. The Color Adjustment circuit is driven by phase1 of the CPU, a ±5V signal. After that, it is run through a charge pump to create ±10V, which goes through a potmeter, which eventually creates the voltage that GTIA sees. Check those color pots. After all these years, they might need a good turning back and forth, and then leave them at the right spot. It's all analog.

• Like 2