IGNORED

Space Peril Titlescreen Request

Karl G

I created a topic for Space Peril in the Homebrew forum (thanks again to @Trebor for the new name suggestion).

I'm wanting to add a basic title screen. I'm happy with the text I've added, as it has a nice cheesy sci-fi B-movie look to it. I was wondering if any of you talented pixel artists would be willing to create a 3D cubic representation of the player's ship to add to the screen? I'm using 160A mode, so it would be 3 colors plus transparent.

(play online to see the ship sprite in the game)

Here's what I have so far - I just need something to fill the empty space.  ? 

1924181043_ScreenShot2021-04-07at11_32_00AM.thumb.png.6dd6f425ca3960411bf7174f810a05af.png

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Karl G said:

I created a topic for Space Peril in the Homebrew forum (thanks again to @Trebor for the new name suggestion).

I'm wanting to add a basic title screen. I'm happy with the text I've added, as it has a nice cheesy sci-fi B-movie look to it. I was wondering if any of you talented pixel artists would be willing to create a 3D cubic representation of the player's ship to add to the screen? I'm using 160A mode, so it would be 3 colors plus transparent.

What 3 colors are you thinking about ?

I used the letters palette to play with the idea,

also what's the dimension you are looking for ?

* I admit I didn't try the game..  ?

image.thumb.png.3e38d2b03617b1488a5ada8b36d2adb8.png

• Like 2

1618094027_ScreenShot2021-04-11at8_41_46AM.thumb.png.5c274b1ea2a7e097ced9a5954686c9d6.png

Extrapolating from the square ship, I pictured. a cubic ship, and the projections on the corners being on all 8 corners of the cube. The colors would either be two shades of gray and a thrust color, or maybe even 3 shades of gray if the thrust isn't shown. I wouldn't try to get one of the space blobs in the picture; I don't think there are enough colors to make it work for both the ship and the blob. Hopefully it would look different than a Borg cube, but probably not completely dissimilar, either.  :D

1812214796_CherryTreeStarTrekBorgCubeITXmarkII.thumb.jpeg.70d057a2bbb3d08dd7746e01c15cc1d9.jpeg

24 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

I will say that the lettering you went with looks really nice.

Thanks! I found a font online called "space mission", and used it in GIMP to produce the graphic. It looks like it's for non-commercial use only, but I will likely keep Space Peril just as a free download instead of trying to make carts from it.

Edit: to be safe, I'm going to email the font creator to make sure my usage of it is okay.

Karl, Just found a bug when playing this through JS7800 just now but I'm fairly certain this could happen on any emu or on actual hardware. I have the Transfigurator device and on my way to the last cave whatever they are called where it is needed. As I don't have anything to light the way I'm just bumbing about in the dark. Well, I happened to go into another screen of the dark section and apparently have appeared ontop of a rock/asteroid? Because I can't move in any direction at all and would have to press reset at this point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Karl, Just found a bug when playing this through JS7800 just now but I'm fairly certain this could happen on any emu or on actual hardware. I have the Transfigurator device and on my way to the last cave whatever they are called where it is needed. As I don't have anything to light the way I'm just bumbing about in the dark. Well, I happened to go into another screen of the dark section and apparently have appeared ontop of a rock/asteroid? Because I can't move in any direction at all and would have to press reset at this point.

Huh. I have code to prevent this, but there must be some corner case where it doesn't work. Do you remember what side of the screen you were on on the new screen, and approximate position of the ship?

Well it was dark so I couldn't really tell where I was exactly. But I came from the left side to the right side and was just a little above halfway on the screen when I entered the screen. I was able to reset (course that also brought all the space glorbs back to life. But I was able to get it, snag the tesseract and just run like heck back to the start to win the game. So it was only a minor annoyance but I'm assuming as the positions of the asteroid change each time you enter those screens, it was just one of those things.

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well it was dark so I couldn't really tell where I was exactly. But I came from the left side to the right side and was just a little above halfway on the screen when I entered the screen. I was able to reset (course that also brought all the space glorbs back to life. But I was able to get it, snag the tesseract and just run like heck back to the start to win the game. So it was only a minor annoyance but I'm assuming as the positions of the asteroid change each time you enter those screens, it was just one of those things.

Yup, the positions change each time like you say, and there's code in there to make sure none of them overlap with the ship, but there must be some cases where it fails. I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks for the bug report!

1 hour ago, TIX said:

Any time  ?

..done some small tweaks (ship on the left)

cube3.png.fcbd0df4428666a5667d328a4636fdb4.png

Looking at the image more closely, it looks like the width of the ship on the right exceeds 160 pixels. I should have specified dimensions upfront, but I think the ship on the right scaled down to half the current size in both dimensions would be about perfect. Any chance you could make a smaller version like that? If I scaled it down in an image editor, I would probably lose some of your detail.

39 minutes ago, TIX said:

the ship on the right is 31x63 pixels,

what are the desired dimensions ? we are definitely gonna loose details..

Oh, is it? I guess maybe the forum scaled the picture up, since it was over 160 wide when I downloaded it and looked at it in an image viewer. 31x63 would work fine if I can figure out how to download the picture without the scaling.

3 minutes ago, TIX said:

I kinda liked more the one on the left, with the gravitational thrust  ?

anyway here they are in real dimensions:

cube4.png.0ed39afabe11288626a5f77b7805edf6.png

Well, I'm going to try both to see how they look on the title screen. When I thought the one on the right was over 160 pixels wide, I thought making the one on the left fit was a lost cause.  ;-) Both should fit fine, and I'll post a screenshot of each option once I've integrated them into title screen. Thanks again!

• Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, Karl G said:

1618094027_ScreenShot2021-04-11at8_41_46AM.thumb.png.5c274b1ea2a7e097ced9a5954686c9d6.png

Extrapolating from the square ship, I pictured. a cubic ship, and the projections on the corners being on all 8 corners of the cube. The colors would either be two shades of gray and a thrust color, or maybe even 3 shades of gray if the thrust isn't shown. I wouldn't try to get one of the space blobs in the picture; I don't think there are enough colors to make it work for both the ship and the blob. Hopefully it would look different than a Borg cube, but probably not completely dissimilar, either.  :D

1812214796_CherryTreeStarTrekBorgCubeITXmarkII.thumb.jpeg.70d057a2bbb3d08dd7746e01c15cc1d9.jpeg

Not completely dissimilar? :)
As an alternative, you could also consider using 160B mode, a single palette, 12 colors + background. In case, it will still be possible to use 160A mode to add the title font. In the attached mock-up, the title could be added in the lower area, on the left "Space" and on the right "Peril". Anyway, feel completely free, I was just too curious to see what it looked like.

84104791_7800Borgcube160XL.thumb.PNG.6b8397ad94e1033ea23c52515a8920e7.PNG

693505757_7800Borgcube.PNG.81e650898c04db0779fd41e04163340a.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Not completely dissimilar? :)
As an alternative, you could also consider using 160B mode, a single palette, 12 colors + background. In case, it will still be possible to use 160A mode to add the title font. In the attached mock-up, the title could be added in the lower area, on the left "Space" and on the right "Peril". Anyway, feel completely free, I was just too curious to see what it looked like.

That's pretty cool! For this project, I think a ship that looked that realistic would probably clash with the rest of the art style. Also, 160B mode looks great, but I tend to use it sparingly because it takes up a lot of space (no pun intended).

• Like 1