IGNORED

Fujinet Hardware 1.4 / 1.5

9 hours ago, vinniet said:

I see new Fujinet Hardware but not seen anyone selling them.  Also what is new in these new revisions. 

v1.3 had a hardware bug (my fault) that caused issues with flashing the firmware. There is a fix that should be applied to the v1.3 boards (ask your vendor). v1.5 is released with the fix and some other minor tweaks. Changes are listed in the hardware repo readme and on the wiki. There will be a v1.6 with more minor changes: added SD Card detect pin and better SIO voltage measurement, neither issue hinder functionality in older versions.

As for stock on fujinet.online, I build small batches of each revision when I have time and put them up for sale. You can signup to get notified via email from the product page but I don't know when I will be making more so could be a while.

Edited by mozzwald
add (updated) wiki link

12 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

v1.3 had a hardware bug (my fault) that caused issues with flashing the firmware. There is a fix that should be applied to the v1.3 boards (ask your vendor). v1.5 is released with the fix and some other minor tweaks. Changes are listed in the hardware repo readme. There will be a v1.6 with more minor changes: added SD Card detect pin and better SIO voltage measurement, neither issue hinder functionality in older versions.

As for stock on fujinet.online, I build small batches of each revision when I have time and put them up for sale. You can signup to get notified via email from the product page but I don't know when I will be making more so could be a while.

I just thought I'd add that the NUC-FujiNet V1.5 prototype schematic that I posted both here a while back and in my blog, should not be confused with the V1.5 'Stock Atari' Fujinet hardware being discussed by mozzwald's latest post. They are two entirely different boards for two entirely different applications. However thanks to mozzwald's help and code changes both independent designs are benefiting from the new features he mentioned for V1.6.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mozzwald said:

There is a fix that should be applied to the v1.3 boards (ask your vendor). v1.5 is released with the fix and some other minor tweaks.

I`m very interested to build one.

You made a BOM list. That will help a lot !

May I ask for the name of the shop / website, you got the parts from?

I am a little bit desperate. Trying to find the parts resulted in biting my table.

Greets

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

2 hours ago, wildstar87 said:

I bought 1.4 from the Fujinet site, the changes don't seem to be listed on the github page.

V1.4 has everything on v1.5 except:

• Add ESD (TVS) Protection Diodes for USB input
  • Change USB port footprint to use slots
  • Add 10k pull up resistors for uSD Card

2 hours ago, atarilux said:

Oops, looks like I bought a 1.3 at the wrong time. I assume I will then need to buy a new Fujinet...

Are you having problems with your v1.3?

There is no need to buy a new one unless you want an additional Fujinet to use on another computer. 

7 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Are you having problems with your v1.3?

There is no need to buy a new one unless you want an additional Fujinet to use on another computer. 

No, I am not having any problems but if there is a newer version coming out then it would have been better to have waited. From what  read existing ones cannot be upgraded/flashed to take them to 1.4/1.5, is that correct?

5 minutes ago, atarilux said:

No, I am not having any problems but if there is a newer version coming out then it would have been better to have waited. From what  read existing ones cannot be upgraded/flashed to take them to 1.4/1.5, is that correct?

Every FujiNet hardware version uses the exact same firmware and have 99.9999% the same feature set. You can see the hardware differences in the wiki. Most of the changes are bug fixes. The only (that we are aware of) major problem you could have with v1.3 is the inability to upgrade the firmware due to a hardware bug if your vendor did not apply the fix and this bug only affects some computers, not all.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 5:30 PM, mozzwald said:

v1.3 had a hardware bug (my fault) that caused issues with flashing the firmware. There is a fix that should be applied to the v1.3 boards (ask your vendor). v1.5 is released with the fix and some other minor tweaks. Changes are listed in the hardware repo readme and on the wiki. There will be a v1.6 with more minor changes: added SD Card detect pin and better SIO voltage measurement, neither issue hinder functionality in older versions.

I have been thinking to get v1.5, but I’m still hesitating a bit as the hardware is  continuously evolving. Is it worth waiting a bit to get next versions or those are cosmetic changes mainly? Would be pity to buy now and then 2.0 arrives soon with next gen features;)

5 hours ago, mikesk8 said:

I have been thinking to get v1.5, but I’m still hesitating a bit as the hardware is  continuously evolving. Is it worth waiting a bit to get next versions or those are cosmetic changes mainly? Would be pity to buy now and then 2.0 arrives soon with next gen features;)

v1.6 is still a work in progress. I've been busy and haven't had much time to spend on it. As of now, the changes are:

* Longer receptacle pins for better fit

* Run MOTOR line thru buffer

* SD Card detect pin to a GPIO

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

v1.6 is still a work in progress. I've been busy and haven't had much time to spend on it. As of now, the changes are:

* Longer receptacle pins for better fit

OMG, YES please! My only real physical/hardware complaint about the units I currently have. Plugging an SIO cord into the receptacle side to copy files to external drives is a bit touchy and easy to dislodge. 

On 6/17/2021 at 7:30 PM, mozzwald said:

v1.6 is still a work in progress.

Quick questions:

When connected to a [+5v & +12v] dc host SIO-socket, would Fujnet pass-through +12v line to its opposite-side receptacle? 

And, last but not least... why buffering the motor-line?

On 6/18/2021 at 1:30 AM, mozzwald said:

v1.6 is still a work in progress.

To avoid tweezers or tape, do you plan something to make card extraction easier?

For example:

- slot on top

- slot on the right side but in a higher position

- spring loaded slot

- more protruding card

- a case design that with recesses around the card to allow the fingers to grab the card more easily

5 hours ago, Faicuai said:

When connected to a [+5v & +12v] dc host SIO-socket, would Fujnet pass-through +12v line to its opposite-side receptacle? 

Yes

5 hours ago, Faicuai said:

And, last but not least... why buffering the motor-line?

To completely separate fujinet from the Atari if fujinet is turned off.

3 hours ago, Philsan said:
3 hours ago, Philsan said:

To avoid tweezers or tape, do you plan something to make card extraction easier?

I am looking into some options. Most likely option is to use a push push micro socket on opposite side of the pcb. If you look at the pcb/gerbers, there's not much room to put it anywhere else without completely redesigning the thing.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

To completely separate fujinet from the Atari if fujinet is turned off.

THANKS for your answer!

Does that mean that, once Fujinet is turned off, nothing that depends on the motor-line would work connected on the other side?

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Does that mean that, once Fujinet is turned off, nothing that depends on the motor-line would work connected on the other side?

I mean the esp32 chip in the fujinet is severed from the SIO bus when fujinet is turned off. All SIO lines are always passed through from the plug to receptacle so anything else can still work even though the fujinet is turned off.

• Thanks 1