IGNORED

Does it Exist?: SIO Extension Cable?

doctor_x

Curious if there is a Male/Female SIO cable? Reason I ask is I want to purchase FujiNet, but I would prefer NOT to plug it directly into my Atari.. I would rather plug a cable into the atari, and then the Fujinet a few feet away, and then my other peripherals chained from there. Its a desk setup thing and a preference thing.

Problem is, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an SIO cable built like this...

Does it exist?

Question:  Is there any circuitry between the in & out SIO ports on the FujiNet, or are the signals all just pass-thru?  If the signals are all pass-thru, then you can just use a regular SIO cable and plug it into the back / out SIO port on the FujiNet.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I’ve never seen one, though I’ve seen standard SIO cables several feet long. Why not use one of those to plug into your peripherals, then plug the FujiNet into the end? 

Or plug the FujiNet into the spare SIO port on the back of <insert peripheral here>.  It works fine daisy-chained, though I'd suggest not connecting it to any peripheral that isn't directly-attached to the computer.

This is how I have to run it on one of my 600XLs: that machine has a 1064 plugged into the PBI port, and that eats up the physical space that the FujiNet needs to be able to attach to the computer.  But I can attach a 1010 to the 600XL, then plug the FujiNet into the 1010 and everything's fine.  Don't even need to have the 1010 powered in order for everything to work.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Or plug the FujiNet into the spare SIO port on the back of <insert peripheral here>.  It works fine daisy-chained, though I'd suggest not connecting it to any peripheral that isn't directly-attached to the computer.

That’s exactly what I meant by the part of my post which you quoted.

That said, if the OP does this, he may need to power the FujiNet with an enteral PSU. The 5V line on the SIO bus can only deliver a relatively small amount of current, and by the end of the SIO chain there will be some degree of voltage drop as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

That’s exactly what I meant by the part of my post which you quoted.

Yeah, caffeine hasn't kicked in yet :-D  For some reason, I was thinking that you meant to connect the female SIO connector on the FujiNet to one end of an SIO cable which has its other end attached directly to the machine.  That also works.

Can't say I ever saw an extension cable, certainly not an Atari made one and as the plugs and sockets were not available to buy (at that point). Back then no one was fabricating them in mass. Saw some long SIO leads tho...

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, doctor_x said:

Curious if there is a Male/Female SIO cable? Reason I ask is I want to purchase FujiNet, but I would prefer NOT to plug it directly into my Atari.. I would rather plug a cable into the atari, and then the Fujinet a few feet away, and then my other peripherals chained from there. Its a desk setup thing and a preference thing.

As mentioned, your best bet is to plug the Fujinet into another peripheral and probably power it externally.

1 hour ago, StickJock said:

Question:  Is there any circuitry between the in & out SIO ports on the FujiNet, or are the signals all just pass-thru?  If the signals are all pass-thru, then you can just use a regular SIO cable and plug it into the back / out SIO port on the FujiNet.

The plug and receptacle are pass through so you can indeed use a cable on the Fujinet receptacle. v1.3 and up have line buffers to separate the esp32 from SIO signals for better compatibility with other devices in the SIO chain.

35 minutes ago, Mathy said:

We need a SIO gender changer

This could be done using a small pcb and two Fujinet style receptacles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

As mentioned, your best bet is to plug the Fujinet into another peripheral and probably power it externally.

The plug and receptacle are pass through so you can indeed use a cable on the Fujinet receptacle. v1.3 and up have line buffers to separate the esp32 from SIO signals for better compatibility with other devices in the SIO chain.

This could be done using a small pcb and two Fujinet style receptacles.

So will it work plugging into the passthrough of a v1.3?  The fujinet covers my audio port on my XEL and my only other sio device is end of chain.

15 minutes ago, chevymad said:

So will it work plugging into the passthrough of a v1.3?  The fujinet covers my audio port on my XEL and my only other sio device is end of chain.

Yes, you can plug a SIO cable into the Fujinet receptacle and plug the other end into the Atari or another SIO device and it will work. You may need to power the Fujinet with external power due to the voltage drop depending on your power supply & length of the cable/SIO chain.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

You can plug your FujiNet in with a standard cable, you can plug the cable into the other side of the FujiNet and it works fine.

Now if it were that easy for USB.... just stick it in either way just as you need it ;)

• Like 1

I realized my mistake as soon as I read 2-3 of your responses... Yes, I was thinking in terms of me needing to have FujiNet as the first device, and I really dont like it butting up against the computer as it does....

Even still... I would still love to see a female SIO cable to male SIO cable.. Whatever it plugs into its going to but up against... LOL. 

Thanks guys.. I am honestly surprised that this has not been created though... 

On 4/11/2021 at 10:49 AM, mozzwald said:

Yes, you can plug a SIO cable into the Fujinet receptacle and plug the other end into the Atari or another SIO device and it will work. You may need to power the Fujinet with external power due to the voltage drop depending on your power supply & length of the cable/SIO chain.

Thankyou! I stole the cable from my Nuxx and i'm up and running with sound. Works fine plugged in "backwords"

• 2 weeks later...

Why not buy an Ape Link?  It makes a good connector between two male SIO cables.  I have also seen 5 foot long SIO cables.  The only

female SIO ends I've ever seen are all PC mounted.  You might ask Brad at Best Electronics if he has anything like that.

DavidMil

I've been updating the SIO breakout board and have designed the pcb it so that it will fit a receptacle on one side and the other side can have a plug or receptacle (permanently attached). The case is slightly different whether you have the plug or receptacle on front.

Dual Receptacle Animation

SIO-Breakout-Dual-R-Animation.thumb.gif.f7637ecfa0f2eedd016a94176c3d809e.gif

Plug and Receptacle

1163901074_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2515-39-31.png.33b24336a02539832cbadfe558889d20.png

I've added optional SMD and/or Thru Hole pads for a capacitor on the 5V line.

1201504210_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2515-45-54.thumb.png.d93150b107a7736e6ed1c359ee1b2351.png

991004391_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2515-45-41.thumb.png.8330e338387c6c5bc96c2e425699b05c.png

I will be ordering boards soon to test it out.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:37 AM, wildstar87 said:

Are the Fujinet receptacles available somewhere?

The 3D design files are in the hardware repo

• Like 1