IGNORED

Is there a complete list of games and software that does not work when the new MIB238 is installed ?

rietveld

1 hour ago, Tekman said:

I’m not aware of any titles that stop working when the MIB238 is installed. Dragon’s Lair works fine for me. Both the regular and alternate disk images as well as the ddp tape image all work fine for me.

Perhaps you have a bad image?

My image works without the MIB in slot2 

I tried with/without the memory expander also

31 minutes ago, Tekman said:

Very strange. I just tried all three versions of Dragon’s Lair with three different MIB238 cards in two different consoles and all worked fine. It has to be your image or something with your console.

I am curious if its related to the MIB not working in certain Adams

I wonder if someone who had trouble with the MIB before the fix could try Dragons Lair

I am using the image from the archive.

Dragon's Lair hangs at the title screen with the MIB installed, but loads and plays fine without it

Edited by rietveld

The second console I used for testing was a unit that needed the MIB238 C11 fix to work. After the C11 issue came to my attention, I pulled units out of my stash until I found a unit with the issue to troubleshoot with and now has become my second test console.

Just to see, have you tried the alternate disk version from the archive as well as the ddp version? Between the official and unsorted images, the archive has five versions you can test with.

15 minutes ago, rietveld said:

Looks like the IDE BOOT ROM in slot 2 is the problem.  

Yes, that is the "problem"  When ADAM boots, the eprom looks to see if disk drive 1, drive 2, data pack 1, or data pack 2 is in use.  If not, then it boots the rom to activate the ide device.   This harkens back to when the ide card was first implemented back in the 1990's.  I am not sure just what is the problem, but it may have to do with booting programs after ddd 2 is locked into position by the ide card.  We have observed the same problems with all ide cards available, some may or may not hamper operations of other software.  When the ide card and other newer hardware were invented, they "stole" what was thought of as unused memory addresses and such, but now we find that they were not unused after all; thereby causing conflicts.

8 hours ago, rietveld said:

Looks like the IDE BOOT ROM in slot 2 is the problem.  

Just to cover all bases, did you try to boot the disk or disk image of Dragon’s Lair or Super Zaxxon from the HD Menu software with the IDE Boot Prom installed to see what the results would be? Based on Adamcon’s explanation, I assume the same issues but knowledge is power.

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

Just to cover all bases, did you try to boot the disk or disk image of Dragon’s Lair or Super Zaxxon from the HD Menu software with the IDE Boot Prom installed to see what the results would be? Based on Adamcon’s explanation, I assume the same issues but knowledge is power.

I just put the Boot Rom back in and tried loading Dragon's Lair from the HD menu using option IV then using physical disk2. 

Dragon's Lair is still hanging at the intro music screen.

Zaxxon is really starnge.  If I load Zaxxon straight from disk by pulling the "RESET" switch it loads and plays without sound. If I use the BOOT rom to start the IDE then choose option IV to load the game from the same disk drive it loads up the Zaxxon splash screen then goes black at the point where it should be showing the blue skill option screen

Without the BOOT ROM both games load and play with sound and music as expected.

I never had a BOOT ROM ( for the IDE) until I picked up the MIB238, so I guess thats why I never had this problem before.  I can just keep booting the IDE from .dsk on my ADE as i did before I got the MIB.

I dont think it matters, since the user TIMEPILOT is using the ADAMCON boot rom,   but I burned the BOOT rom to an EPROM using the .bin that was in the MIB238 github page

Edited by rietveld

• 3 weeks later...

From my reading of the IDEBOOTROM code if it detects the HD (or CF drive) it modifies the EOS read block, write block, init dir, find/get dcb, and request device status routines and puts driver code in the E300h area of upper RAM.  It stands to reason any program not expecting these changes could have issues especially if it overwrote the driver code.

12 hours ago, pearsoe said:

From my reading of the IDEBOOTROM code if it detects the HD (or CF drive) it modifies the EOS read block, write block, init dir, find/get dcb, and request device status routines and puts driver code in the E300h area of upper RAM.  It stands to reason any program not expecting these changes could have issues especially if it overwrote the driver code.

I wonder if Coleco had a standardized memory map for the program developers to use: and the conflict comes from programmers who deviate from it.  i know thta the IDE came long afterwards but I wonder if the IDE BOOT routine was devloped with the expectation of certain memory mapping being adhered to.