IGNORED

Intellidiscs Release Thread

Ryan Witmer

large.intellidiscs_title.png.ae59d31add0139b8787c91e148efeb52.png

Alright, I think it time for one of these threads again.

So let's start off with Intellidiscs beta 1.

The game is now feature complete, and there are no bugs that I'm currently aware of.  There's a version identification string 256 bytes from the end of the ROM that says Beta 1, 4/11/2021.

This beta is mostly silent.  I've been working with @Synthpopalooza to get some sound here, and there's a cool little tune on the title screen that should be familiar to Tron fans.  Just a warning, many emulators can't handle the stuff he's doing with POKEY, so the title may sound weird on certain systems.  On real hardware it sounds fine.

I've incorporated his sound engine into the game, and I had to scrap the garbage sound effects I had before because they wouldn't have worked with the new sound code.  Future test releases will have more and better sound.

I'm going to continue to test this build and work on getting the rest of the sound in there.  The finish line is in sight!

Once I've got a build that I'm happy with, I'll release the source code with the 1.0 release.  I'm sure someone will do an A8 port pretty quickly.

intellidiscs.bin

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

When the recognizer came out, I wasn't able to fire.  Do you know what happened?

Haha, I know exactly what that is.  I had to make some changes to the keypad code and that's the one place I forgot about.

So here's beta 1.1, I guess.

intellidiscs.bin

• Like 2

Nicely done @Ryan Witmer, I however would like to see the sound effects from the previous build on the old thread restored, it along with this current beta would make it an absolute hit, and more complete, fortunately I have both builds (I saved the last one as well as this one), but yes it looks and sounds great.

Also I thought the sound effects were great just combine all of them from both builds on you next beta release, I thought they sounded good, it's a lot better than having none during gameplay.

And yes, I also liked the opening tune as well, makes me want to watch Tron (and also The Black Hole and possibly WarGames) on DVD as part of an throwback 80s-style weekend, the music, the games (including IntelliDiscs, yes!), the whole 9 yards, and, yes, the clothes too!!! I even thought about wearing short shorts the way we used to back then, I figure since the weather is starting to pick up I might as well break them out this weekend. They may not be men's shorts anymore (they are actually nicole By Nicole Miller in black in women's size 10, in which translates to a men's size 34) but they'll do, hey anything to throw it back to the 80s!!! :).

1019971144_151.RayJackson-MinishortsWarrior.thumb.jpg.56a2b0836c6f740640017cf302dd545f.jpg

Edited by BIGHMW

OK, here's beta 2, with the usual ID string.  Now it's Beta 2, 4/14/2021

Here's what's changed:

• Title music is a bit longer and more detailed now.
  • Some of the sound effects have been added, more to come!
  • Fixed a bug in the code that positioned your disc when you got hit.  It was sometimes doing it at the wrong time and making discs in flight zip right back to their owners.
  • Some more playing around with the keypad code.  I was having some problems with the responsiveness but I think I have that fixed now.  I think I just need to accept that the keypads will always be a little goofy, because that's just how they are.

I did notice one issue while testing.  One time on the game over screen it wouldn't recognize the reset key.  The weird thing is that after awhile, maybe 30 seconds or so, it finally did.  I don't know if this is a legit issues or just my controller being stupid as 5200 controllers sometimes are.  I'll keep an eye for this again.

One major problem I was having with the keypad code was that sometimes the inputs would "leak" to another player in the battle mode.  For example, when player 2 pressed a key, player 3 would throw their disc.  I haven't seen this since I redid the keypad stuff, but I'm not completely sure it's fixed.

intellidiscs.bin

• Like 3

Nice! But I'd like to hear sound effects from whenever your player gets hit, the previous pre-Beta version did have a sound whenever your player got hit, so I would like to see this restored on the next build. Other than that it sound and looks great. I also like that after "Game Over" when you press the reset button that the soundtrack kicks in right away, giving even more of an environment and atmosphere that will have gamers hooked on it. It's coming along really well@Ryan Witmer, keep up the great work!!! :) 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:53 PM, Ryan Witmer said:

OK, here's beta 2, with the usual ID string.  Now it's Beta 2, 4/14/2021

Here's what's changed:

• Title music is a bit longer and more detailed now.
  • Some of the sound effects have been added, more to come!
  • Fixed a bug in the code that positioned your disc when you got hit.  It was sometimes doing it at the wrong time and making discs in flight zip right back to their owners.
  • Some more playing around with the keypad code.  I was having some problems with the responsiveness but I think I have that fixed now.  I think I just need to accept that the keypads will always be a little goofy, because that's just how they are.

I did notice one issue while testing.  One time on the game over screen it wouldn't recognize the reset key.  The weird thing is that after awhile, maybe 30 seconds or so, it finally did.  I don't know if this is a legit issues or just my controller being stupid as 5200 controllers sometimes are.  I'll keep an eye for this again.

One major problem I was having with the keypad code was that sometimes the inputs would "leak" to another player in the battle mode.  For example, when player 2 pressed a key, player 3 would throw their disc.  I haven't seen this since I redid the keypad stuff, but I'm not completely sure it's fixed.

intellidiscs.bin 32 kB · 12 downloads

Ryan, really enjoying your game.  I like the detailed music in the beginning. I also like the sound effects.  Great touch!  Looks almost complete.  Looking forward to what it sounds like when you shoot. The controls on the keypad feel good.  

One thing that gets a little confusing is the color of your disc.  Maybe it's my tube tv but if there's a way to get the color of the disc brighter or maybe change the color compared to the enemy's disc.  The disc looks similar and sometimes can get confusing with the enemy discs. On the intellivision, the disc is yellow so it's easier to contrast with the enemy discs.  

On 4/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, BIGHMW said:

Nice! But I'd like to hear sound effects from whenever your player gets hit

Your wish is granted, here's beta 3.  Build string is Beta 3, 4/18/2021

This build has a bunch more sound effects, some minor color adjustments, and some really obscure bug fixes.  Unless I find something crazy, once I get the last of the sound effects I'll probably be putting out a release candidate so I can finally start working on something else!

On 4/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, phuzaxeman said:

One thing that gets a little confusing is the color of your disc.  Maybe it's my tube tv but if there's a way to get the color of the disc brighter or maybe change the color compared to the enemy's disc.  The disc looks similar and sometimes can get confusing with the enemy discs. On the intellivision, the disc is yellow so it's easier to contrast with the enemy discs.  

The colors are really hard to work with.  I've been experimenting with a few different things, but I think nothing I do will be completely right for everybody.  I'll keep playing with it.

intellidiscs.bin

• Like 2

Nice job @Ryan Witmer!!! The sound from when you get hit is great, and can be easily distinguished from when a player dies (either your character or an enemy combatant), I like that, nicely done. Also, I also like the new sounds from when you bust a door open as well. Now I haven't yet gotten to the appearance of the Identifier so I at this moment can't yet tell whether any sounds will be present when it does arrive to re-shut the doors so I'll wait and see.

I'm happy right about now, whatever you do on the final build (provided Beta 4 would be the final build) is up to you but everything is in order IMO.

.....and WTF people, it's been, what, 5 hours, since @Ryan Witmer graced us with this nice build and only 4 downloads of it so far, with myself being the 4th, hey c'mon people, I thought we supported our homebrew community better than this, this is, so far, turning into a masterpiece in which is almost complete by now, so let's get a move on folks!!! Let's jack this thing up!!!

Now I'm going off to watch Tron (I was going to watch it yesterday but forgot) on my DVD player, I'll be back after it's done, and I hope to see that download count become a little higher!!! I highly recommend you try and play it, I myself use the trigger mode to play, but whatever your style of play is that's up to you. Too good to ignore now, unless you guys happen to be waiting around for Beta 4 (or whatever ends up being the final build) to arrive before trying her out.

One question for @Ryan Witmer, since I use trigger mode, can I still use the 5 key to block/destroy an enemy disc? Or is there a different route I have to take to blocking/destroying an enemy shot while in trigger mode? I don't want to wind up getting "de-rezzed" (pulled right from the 1982 film right there! :) ) too soon in the game, while I have the offense down I just need to know more about defending myself while in trigger mode

On 4/18/2021 at 2:53 PM, Ryan Witmer said:

Your wish is granted, here's beta 3.  Build string is Beta 3, 4/18/2021

This build has a bunch more sound effects, some minor color adjustments, and some really obscure bug fixes.  Unless I find something crazy, once I get the last of the sound effects I'll probably be putting out a release candidate so I can finally start working on something else!

The colors are really hard to work with.  I've been experimenting with a few different things, but I think nothing I do will be completely right for everybody.  I'll keep playing with it.

intellidiscs.bin 32 kB · 10 downloads

Ryan, I really like the updates.  The sound is a great touch and I think the disc is easier to decipher than before.  All in all this is really neat product you've created.  Can't wait to get this game on cartridge.  

Looking forward to hearing the disc making a sound when you throw it.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

Looking forward to hearing the disc making a sound when you throw it.  

I was gonna suggest that but didn't feel the need to, at least not until someone else suggested it first before I did, thinking I might be asking for too much but since you suggested it I now figure why not!!! :) 

21 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I was gonna suggest that but didn't feel the need to, at least not until someone else suggested it first before I did, thinking I might be asking for too much but since you suggested it I now figure why not!!! :) 

I wasn't suggesting anything. I was looking forward to the completion. Ryan mentioned he was getting the rest of the sound effects and I was assuming that it included throwing sound of the disc. The product is already amazing especially with the keypad and battle modes. Intellivision version you could run and throw at the same time. Intro theme is pretty killer too. Definitely a cart purchase. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 9:56 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

Time for me to get my butt moving and finish off those sounds ...

The sounds and music so far are very enjoyable!  I love the Tron music, it ended up more authentic than I'd expected.  Good use of POKEY, I hope you keep it up and have many many different sounds! 

The game also seems very solid.  I'm not an Inty person so I never played the original Tron game, so can't comment on how close it is etc etc.  I did laugh in surprise when I saw you could hold button 2 and change the angle of your held disc, to block.  I played a few rounds but I have no idea how to beat the big Recognizer.  I'll likely never (or rarely) play a multiplayer mode. 

41 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

I wasn't suggesting anything. I was looking forward to the completion. Ryan mentioned he was getting the rest of the sound effects and I was assuming that it included throwing sound of the disc. The product is already amazing especially with the keypad and battle modes. Intellivision version you could run and throw at the same time. Intro theme is pretty killer too. Definitely a cart purchase. 

Absolutely certainly. I can't wait for the next build, as I plan on featuring it soon on The Atari Report - 5200 Edition, it's just that I wanted to wait until the next build in order to review it, it's currently too early in the WIP/Beta stage to do one that will give it its fair amount of justice. I already have high praise to give this work, nicely done. :) 

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

I wasn't suggesting anything. I was looking forward to the completion. Ryan mentioned he was getting the rest of the sound effects and I was assuming that it included throwing sound of the disc. The product is already amazing especially with the keypad and battle modes. Intellivision version you could not run and throw at the same time. Intro theme is pretty killer too. Definitely a cart purchase. 

Ryan, this would have been insane if this released in 1982.

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 2