IGNORED

Great Joysticks...

ZillaRUSH

The Edladdin Controllers for the Atari are top notch...def the best.

But looking recently for a new small and medium sized joystick

(as you can see, I like the right side version of joysticks)....

These are pretty awesome (just purchased)....

Atari 7800  - contact Bratwurst on AA ($55 + Shipping)

RetroRadionics - various colors available    ($25 + Shipping)

RetroRadionics Website Link

Anyone find any other great ones?

Atari.thumb.jpg.16cc9243edcb97dfaebb8767f9842a42.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, the RetroRadionics Joysticks are pretty good. I have two of them by my own. They have a Sanwa JLF clone inside that is not bad, especially for the cheap price. Also the case looks good and is available in alot of different colors. The user can select between alot of different colored cases and in the comment field of the order-form, you can also make a comment to specify a desired color for the buttons and for the balltop. I did so two times and it was adhered to.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, john_q_atari said:

Looks cool, sounds cool, but this kinda kills it for me:

China Post Express
Transit time: 60 business days

Maybe I'll order sometime in the future if they ever get a local distributor.

Looks like there is a U.S. option, but it costs a little more and the shipping is more expensive.

https://retroradionics.co.uk/#!/DELIVERY-FROM-USA-•-ArcadeR-9-pin-ATARI-standard-Joystick-•/p/296743034/category=0

22 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

I don't see how people can play with the stick on the left and buttons on the right.

iPAR4e.jpg

...well for me, I grew up playing a lot of Galaga at my local Pizza Hut, and that's the only choice (as was the case for many arcade cabinets).  But as I also grew up with a 2600, if I'm playing with any handheld joystick (versus a lap-top or table-top "arcade" stick), something akin to a CX-40, then I hold the base with my left hand, and manipulate the joystick with my right.  You gotta work with the tools that you're given!  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

...well for me, I grew up playing a lot of Galaga at my local Pizza Hut, and that's the only choice (as was the case for many arcade cabinets).  But as I also grew up with a 2600, if I'm playing with any handheld joystick (versus a lap-top or table-top "arcade" stick), something akin to a CX-40, then I hold the base with my left hand, and manipulate the joystick with my right.  You gotta work with the tools that you're given!  ?

Same for me for the 2600. For that Galaga machine, I would have used the hand over hand method.

On 4/19/2021 at 11:13 AM, DragonFire said:

Does anyone here have one of the upgraded CX-40s from Best Electronics? I can't find any reviews, but based on their website it seems like they're much more durable than the originals, but should otherwise feel very similar.

I've installed two of the boards from Best Electronics and used them a bunch.  They are very nice and provide a satisfying sort of click when you use them.  I've also used two other replacement boards recently.  I don't know about durability yet, but they are all pretty good and have their pro's and cons.  The Best boards are probably most similar to the original feel of the CX 40 while some of the micro-switched boards give a little different feel.

I plan to do a write-up soon comparing 5 different boards I've used recently, but you can't really go wrong with the Best ones.

Note that you should also take into account the plastic core (and maybe the button spring) if swapping out parts.  A new core will also add some different variability in terms of how hard you press etc.  I've found that even changing the orientation of an old core from the 80s can make a difference.

Edit - Best Electronics also sells gold upgrade kits for the Atari 7800 Pro-Line.  I have NOT tried those.  I keep meaning to order some, but Brad's 3 item limit these days forces me to prioritize.

Regarding stick on the left or stick on the right.  It is more natural for me to have the stick on the right, but I do sometimes switch.  For a game like Galaga where most of the dexterity is really used to press the buttons rapidly, I don't mind going lefty.  Donkey Kong machines with the left stick get me though.  I have done the "reach around" on those - LOL.

Everything was switched to Joystick goes in left hand because those games made more money. It freed up your right hand to feed quarters in. Joystick in right hand only works well with a game with one or two action buttons. It you have 6 buttons, you'll want those on the right.

I've only seen a couple hand over hand players for fighting games. I just laugh at them. Even Seth Killian. They don't do well at all in tournaments. 

Edited by Draxxon

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

Everything was switched to Joystick goes in left hand because those games made more money. It freed up your right hand to feed quarters in. Joystick in right hand only works well with a game with one or two action buttons. It you have 6 buttons, you'll want those on the right.

I've only seen a couple hand over hand players for fighting games. I just laugh at them. Even Seth Killian. They don't do well at all in tournaments. 

You're right of course about fighting games, but since there are no 6 button fighting games on the 2600 or 7800 then I think this thread can safely put those to the side.

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

Joystick in right hand only works well with a game with one or two action buttons. It you have 6 buttons, you'll want those on the right.

I'm not going to do well with either format for fighting games, but I'm sure I'll still be better with the joystick on the right. That's just me, from training since being a young lad.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

You're right of course about fighting games, but since there are no 6 button fighting games on the 2600 or 7800 then I think this thread can safely put those to the side.

True, but making an arcade stick reversed in 2010 feels like "Hustling Backwards" to me. To each their own. Whatever works for you.

Anybody who makes custom controllers should have no problem offering righty or lefty...its just a matter of flip-flopping the holes. I've made a couple of right hand joystick controllers for those who wanted them, or because they were arcade accurate.  Its not a big deal.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, DragonFire said:

Does anyone here have one of the upgraded CX-40s from Best Electronics? I can't find any reviews, but based on their website it seems like they're much more durable than the originals, but should otherwise feel very similar.

I find them fantastic. I bought the complete stick with the new boot, wires, board. Nothing comes close.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, DragonFire said:

I bought 2 x CX-40 from Best Electronics. They are absolutely fantastic! I thought about buying parts to repair some of the controllers I have laying around, but with all you get I think the $49.95 ready to go is the best option. Everything is clean and new except perhaps the 2 halves of the controller housing and they are nice and clean. Love the 7' cords.

• Like 1

Just wanted to get into the thread to say that while games from the "post joystick era" work fine for me with controllers where I use my left thumb... for old fashioned "joy stick games" like 80s arcade/atari/colecovision etc, I want a real joystick that I hold in my right hand and use my left hand to hit the fire button. I find it odd that so few really cool 3rd party joysticks are produced to even allow that... rather than center the joystick with fire buttons on both sides to let users operate as they are comfortable, they put the joystick on the left and fire buttons on the right. Seems odd to me to create an "old fashioned" joystick like that without the flexibility to play vintage games as we all did (with our right hand on the joystick for right-handed people).

• Like 1

The top three is pretty flexible, but after all the years I've spent messing with joysticks, my preference is:

1. Wico Command control: Heavy, sturdy, great stick, fast and responsive and quality built. 

2. Tac 2: Probably the #1 choice for the left-handed. Looser in feel than the Wico but also high quality.

3. Epyx 500XJ: Very comfortable, and has a short hard stick and a clicky movement to it. Two buttons on the right side. You hold it in your left hand and cup the underside of the controller based on its ergonomic design, which means your button fingers are pointing up and you are gripping in to push them. This works great, but may not be for everyone.