IGNORED

Adventure Games on the 7800

7800Knight

I've been watching video on YouTube of the ports of King's Quest 1 on the Sega Master System and King's Quest 5 on the NES.  My hat is off to those developers - porting a computer adventure game to a home console is NOT easy.  There's usually differences between the markets for computers and consoles; that's why we don't see lots of adventure games on consoles.

Now for the big question:  how likely is it that we could see an adventure game on the 7800, either an original work or a remake of something like King's Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc?  What challenges would we have to overcome?  Can the hardware and controller adapt to using some sort of command system like "look", "get", "use", and so on?

My old tandy 1000 with a 16 color monitor is where I remember these games. As much as I love the 7800 it would never come close to the graphics and complexity. Hero's Quest, Space Quest 3, King's Quest 4, etc. All very long games with hundreds of screens. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would also love to see this kind of game for the 7800… it was such an underutilized system and so few “releases” exist for it…. I know the 7800XM is kind of a  touchy subject around here (and only JUST learned about that whole fiasco.. I thought that dude was like the hero of all heroes.. turns out not everyone thought so… sad)…. I would love to see it turned into another full fledged 8 bit computer via SIO and XEGS keyboard… Why? Why not? Hack all there is to be hacked!!!

I was also very saddened when I saw that there isnt an adventure 2 for the 7800…. Does the 8 bit ROM even work on a multicart on it??? I looked around a little for easy answers to my questions and saw nothing apparent .. 

11 hours ago, doctor_x said:

I was also very saddened when I saw that there isnt an adventure 2 for the 7800…. Does the 8 bit ROM even work on a multicart on it??? 

Adventure II is on 5200, Adventure II XE is on Atari 8bit computers. Neither will run on 7800 which is very different hardware. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 5:15 AM, Cafeman said:

Adventure II is on 5200, Adventure II XE is on Atari 8bit computers. Neither will run on 7800 which is very different hardware. 

@Cafeman Was a version or direct port of "Adventure II" ever considered for the 7800? 

Edited by aaron1677