IGNORED

Why is the Atari stock so high?

Lord Mushroom

Cool. I bought like 2k shares when they were like 35 cents. Now that $700~ish is close to 2000$.

I figure its the vcs. Most people don't know or care what Atari is, but many old fogies like us are at least aware of it, wether they keep track of it or not, others will see the vcs launch, look it up (if their the stock type) be like "holy s#!t its only a buck?" And buy shares. Regardless of what the vcs does, stocks will shift a lot just because of that.

I wish the vcs luck, glorified set top android box that it is, at least it is being released in stores unlike many others, which should grant it a lot of publicity, long as Atari and/or game stop don't eff it up.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Every morning, I wake up, shake my fist at the fates which abandoned me, and yell, "KHAAAAAAAAAN!" as loudly as possible.

Is that before or after your kid comes in, asks why people on the internet are mean to you, and then everyone claps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Is that before or after your kid comes in, asks why people on the internet are mean to you, and then everyone claps?

Dunno, he's just over there doing whatever with the computer.  I'm busy having an outburst of online self-righteousness.  Can't watch 'em all the time.

• Haha 4

On 4/16/2021 at 2:34 PM, zzip said:

160% return is 160% return for investors,  doesn't matter what the underlying price is.

Well keep in mind that every significant new tech and concept in the internet age sounded riduculous to people at first but yet turned out to be viable.

I remember back in the 90s business people dismissing the Internet as more or less a foolish pastime, saying "nobody has figured out how to make money from it!"   Then came the dotcoms--   then they went bust,  but then they came back with viable business models this time.   There are also things  like crowdsourcing, crowdfunding and crypto curriencies that many thought were ridiculous, and some still do,  but they have made people money

So even though the NFT concept sounds crazy and I'm a bit skeptical,  past history has taught me that I shouldn't completely write it off.

For the title of this topic it does matter what the underlying price is...

"Why is the atari stock so high?"

Answer...it's not high. It's "higher" than it was but not HIGH ;)

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 8:40 PM, Cebus Capucinis said:

And you can't have a seller without a buyer, so "everyone" saying "I'D HAVE MADE $17 MILLION IF I'D JUST OWNED $3.5" is assuming someone else is stupid enough to buy $17 million in inherently worthless Speakerhat stock at this time.

This is true,  but most small time investors like us don't have the means to buy/sell enough to impact the stock price that much.

If you're a company exec with millions in stock options, you won't be able to unload it at once without tanking the price,  but for people selling a few hundred shares, it's not an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

The stock dropped 17% today. I don´t know if there is some news behind it, or just speculation. Probably the latter. I made a brief search, and didn´t find anything. And no, I wasn´t searching my briefs. :)

How are other MFT / Crypto-related stocks doing?  If they are down a similar amount it might suggest that's what's been moving Atari's stock

35 minutes ago, zzip said:

How are other MFT / Crypto-related stocks doing?  If they are down a similar amount it might suggest that's what's been moving Atari's stock

Ethereum, which is the currency upon which Atari´s crypto-stuff is based, has fallen almost 13% since the stock market closed on Friday. I am guessing that is it.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, toiletunes said:

Why is atari stock so low? It was over a dollar three months ago, now it's 42 cents?

I think it is mostly the fall in the value of Ethereum, which is the relevant currency for a lot of Atari´s crypto endeavours. Another reason is probably the announcement that Atari will take a 5 million euro write down.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Don't know why... I just bought one of their LEGO sets. You'd think that'd be worth something.

Well, it's not exactly their set but LEGO's. And that's a company which manufactures product so great that they don't even need to be listed.

All Atari has (that matters), on the other hand, is a trademark license they can peddle to various entities. And how much did they get for this deal, I wonder? 5K? 50? Even if it was half a mil, it's still a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The $20 my wife invested in Dogecoin as a joke has shown better returns than Atari SA's stock has over the same time period.

Sure but won't you feel silly when you can't earn super duper extra awards with it at your next stay at the Ataricryptogamblingblockchainhotelwtf thing.

• Haha 2