IGNORED

Looking for 7800 PSU & Controller

Dopy25

I just picked up a 7800 console and a few games (bunch of duplicates that will make their way to the for sale category) but no PSU or controller.

Does anyone have one of either or each that they would be willing to send my way? Send me a PM with a cost or post here. They don't have to be perfect, or even tested for that matter. I can clean up any controller and I have a few random PSUs and buck converters so I really need the end. I may end up at Console5 if I need anything else, but for now I don't really want to order the tip alone. Seems cost ineffective to me.

Thanks!

On 4/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, Dopy25 said:

I just picked up a 7800 console and a few games (bunch of duplicates that will make their way to the for sale category) but no PSU or controller.

Does anyone have one of either or each that they would be willing to send my way? Send me a PM with a cost or post here. They don't have to be perfect, or even tested for that matter. I can clean up any controller and I have a few random PSUs and buck converters so I really need the end. I may end up at Console5 if I need anything else, but for now I don't really want to order the tip alone. Seems cost ineffective to me.

Thanks!

I I have 1 maybe 2 7800 controllers in my spare box. Also a couple NES pads converted to 7800. If you cant source a 7800 PSU I can make  you one. I have a space cord from console5

• Like 1

@oakcitycomics

Aaahhhh sweet. What's the damage (cost) for either of them shipped? I was actually looking up converting because I have few spare nes controllers. 

I think I have the PSU fingered out. I tested the console by soldering a 9v adapter to the underneath of the connector and it powered on. 

I bought barrell pigtails from Amazon that should be here soon so I can use my sega genesis PSU. I saw a post about it from crossbow but can't seem to find any suggestions on alternate solder points. I'm pretty sure I can use the next solder pad for it so I don't go straight to the power connector.

Edited by Dopy25

On 4/13/2021 at 9:12 PM, Dopy25 said:

I bought barrell pigtails from Amazon that should be here soon so I can use my sega genesis PSU. I saw a post about it from crossbow but can't seem to find any suggestions on alternate solder points. I'm pretty sure I can use the next solder pad for it so I don't go straight to the power connector.

You can use the ground just behind the connector for the - connection and then solder the other end for the + voltage off the ferrite bead just before the large filter cap. That is where I was typically soldering to when I did this. I also used those wire ends from Console5 for a while to create harness adapters where I soldered a standard barrel jack on the end wired up for using with a SMS, Genesis,Jag, or TG-16 PSU. That way you just plug into the standard power port on the 7800 with a new barrel jack off of that. I stopped making them when I found an ebayer who started making and selling the exact same thing about a month later for about the same price so I didn't figure there was a point when someone was able to more mass produce them at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You can use the ground just behind the connector for the - connection and then solder the other end for the + voltage off the ferrite bead just before the large filter cap. That is where I was typically soldering to when I did this. I also used those wire ends from Console5 for a while to create harness adapters where I soldered a standard barrel jack on the end wired up for using with a SMS, Genesis,Jag, or TG-16 PSU. That way you just plug into the standard power port on the 7800 with a new barrel jack off of that. I stopped making them when I found an ebayer who started making and selling the exact same thing about a month later for about the same price so I didn't figure there was a point when someone was able to more mass produce them at the time.

Am I understanding right?

I'm guessing soldering to the top side is best since the pigtail will come from above the OEM connector but I don't know if one solder point is better than the other.

PXL_20210416_185604078.thumb.jpg.ff9461e844932300e3b33708bed8a5a4.jpg

That would also work, but that is a ceramic cap you have the + side from. I use further down on the black ferrite bead at the bottom center of your pic here. Nice and large. And that is the exact spot I use for the - (gnd) lead connection that you have circled in black.

23 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That would also work, but that is a ceramic cap you have the + side from. I use further down on the black ferrite bead at the bottom center of your pic here. Nice and large. And that is the exact spot I use for the - (gnd) lead connection that you have circled in black.

Ok great, I have a spot for the ground. Oh duh, you said ferrite core. Would this be the right (left side of the pic/ferrite core) side? I want the opposite side of the end that goes to the large electrolytic cap, yes?

PXL_20210416_185604078.thumb.jpg.d832afa422e7347c6bab1caf23aff93c.jpg

You circled it directly where you need the + voltage to go. So you pic shows where I solder in my ground and the +. If you wanted a little extra protection in case someone uses the wrong polarity PSU, you could replace out the ferrite bead there with a 4001 rectifier diode with the cathode (side with the band) towards the filter cap. I've done that on a few systems as well. 

@-^CrossBow^-

Interesting. And that would just work with either polarity? I haven't messed around too much with electrical modifications but I can solder really well, especially on these older systems. I just always worry that I will mess something up when I add components. Even AV mods make me cross my fingers when I power the console. haha

I don't have my connectors yet, they should be here on Sunday. That will give me tomorrow and most of Sunday to clean up my board but I know it already works as I tested it with a spare PSU I have around. The image was mad blurry but I have a feeling that may be because the metal cage was off of my unit and I am sure it could use an adjustment. I plan on adding AV to this like I did my junior but don't want to open that door until I have the console ready to play.

Would these work?

https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Rectifier-IN4001-Electronic-Silicon/dp/B07Q3HBM63/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=rectifier+diode+1n4001&qid=1618607863&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNzQ0VDRCVU5JMzRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzE4MjQwM1RDVlJWVEs4QlNEVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDM1MDA4M0M3VVA4RVVCSllZSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Or these? I probably don't need 100. haha

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1N4001-10-pcs-1A-50V-Rectifier-Diode-from-USA/292925340912?hash=item4433b5fcf0:g:CRUAAOSwM05egUKl

Also, does this work on other systems as well? I busted my main cap on my junior testing it because I had a mislabeled PSU. After figuring out what just splattered, I tested the output (I know I should have before but I thought my PSU was labelled correctly).

Edited by Dopy25

Again it isn't require by any means, but if you look at the power mod that is done on the 5200 to remove the switchbox requirement, part of the kits from console5 add in the diode as reverse polarity protection in case the wrong polarity adapter it used on the system. Someone even mentioned that the jaguar schematics have a reverse polarity protection diode in the input power section but yet it doesn't actually exist on the jaguar main board anywhere. So not having them was a cost cutting measure. They didn't expect us to have multiple systems that we would want to have and use at the same time 30-40 years ago and so figured this was a null issue.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Again it isn't require by any means, but if you look at the power mod that is done on the 5200 to remove the switchbox requirement, part of the kits from console5 add in the diode as reverse polarity protection in case the wrong polarity adapter it used on the system. Someone even mentioned that the jaguar schematics have a reverse polarity protection diode in the input power section but yet it doesn't actually exist on the jaguar main board anywhere. So not having them was a cost cutting measure. They didn't expect us to have multiple systems that we would want to have and use at the same time 30-40 years ago and so figured this was a null issue.

Ok, got it.

Will the ones I linked work as a replacement for the ferrite? As I mentioned before, I had one PSU that was wired in reverse, so on the off chance one of my kids decides to grab the nearest, I'd rather not take the chance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, oakcitycomics said:

I I have 1 maybe 2 7800 controllers in my spare box. Also a couple NES pads converted to 7800. If you cant source a 7800 PSU I can make  you one. I have a space cord from console5

@oakcitycomics, Do you still have any of those NES pads converted to 7800? If so, how much would one be shipped to 25071?

Edited by dbdjre0143
Tag user

1 hour ago, dbdjre0143 said:

Do you still have any of those NES pads converted to 7800? If so, how much would one be shipped to 25071?

If that doesn't work out, let me know if you are interested in a sega to 7800 adapter. I am building a few and will have extras. Should be in their own post soon enough.

4 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

If that doesn't work out, let me know if you are interested in a sega to 7800 adapter. I am building a few and will have extras. Should be in their own post soon enough.

If they don't have any NES pads I'd be interested in that. I assume that will work with two-button games? Is it for Genesis controllers or SMS and how much are you asking?

3 hours ago, dbdjre0143 said:

If they don't have any NES pads I'd be interested in that. I assume that will work with two-button games? Is it for Genesis controllers or SMS and how much are you asking?

It works with genesis and SMS. On genesis, b&c buttons are 1&2. Sms is exactly how you'd expect. Price will be around $20 shipped in the US.

I'd hold tight for that NES pad too. I got the 7800 controllers from oakcity and they were excellent. Just thought I'd mention the adapter as an alternative. I'm still working on them for the time being so I don't want to post yet.