IGNORED

Dumping the brazilian Splice carts

Carlos Baldo

Hi everyone.

I've just got the Spitfire (Looping) and Jaxxon (Zaxxon) carts in my collection few days ago and noticed that no one ever dumped any cart made by Splice. So, I sent them to Alexandre Casella, a repro expert, and now, almost 40 years after Splice released those carts, we dumped them successfully.

In this post I'm releasing the Spitfire ROM. Jaxxon will follow shortly. Enjoy!

spitfire (splice vision).col

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Carlos Baldo said:

Hi everyone.

I've just got the Spitfire (Looping) and Jaxxon (Zaxxon) carts in my collection few days ago and noticed that no one ever dumped any cart made by Splice. So, I sent them to Alexandre Casella, a repro expert, and now, almost 40 years after Splice released those carts, we dumped them successfully.

In this post I'm releasing the Spitfire ROM. Jaxxon will follow shortly. Enjoy!

spitfire (splice vision).col 16 kB · 19 downloads

Thank you for taking the time to dump the rom file :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for dumping this.  Very interesting.  A binary comparison of Spitfire and Looping shows that the only changes made for Spitfire are the various pieces of translated text shown in the screenshots.  Otherwise the binaries are identical.  It would seem that changing the blue game selection screen was too difficult for Splice to hack as this is still shown in English.

Is the game select screen part of the BIOS?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Thanks for dumping this.  Very interesting.  A binary comparison of Spitfire and Looping shows that the only changes made for Spitfire are the various pieces of translated text shown in the screenshots.  Otherwise the binaries are identical.  It would seem that changing the blue game selection screen was too difficult for Splice to hack as this is still shown in English.

Is the game select screen part of the BIOS?

The game select screen is generated by the BIOS itself. Using the Microdigital Onyx BIOS everything appears in Portuguese.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carlos Baldo said:

Now releasing the Jaxxon ROM. Unfortunately only the initial screen is translated.

I'm fairly certain that Splice must have simply hacked the binaries of the original Coleco games to change certain text from English to Portuguese.  Jaxxon seems to confirm this as the only recognisable text in the binary is that on the title/initial screen.  The text shown after selecting a game that includes "PLAYER" is not found in a readable form in the binary - so my guess is that Splice just couldn't hack it.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you know if the SpliceVision used a custom/hacked BIOS with Portuguese text?

Yes, just like Microdigital Onyx the Splicevision used a translated version of the Colecovision BIOS. Side-by-side, the Splice one is much more closer to the original than Microdigital's version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After a while, finally we got more three Splice carts dumped by Alexandre Casella. They are Dong Junior (Donkey Kong Jr.), Duende (Smurf) and Ratoeira (Mouse Trap). Because of technical limitations, only Ratoeira was translated to Portuguese, while the other two remained in English with only the initial screen translated.

Dong1.PNG

dong2.PNG

duende1.PNG

duende2.PNG

ratoeira1.PNG

ratoeira2.PNG

ratoeira3.PNG

ratoeira-splicevision.7z duende-splicevision.7z dong_jr-splicevision.7z

• Thanks 1