IGNORED

Commodore pet Fun and Games question

the very first Listing (zap) has been typed out (minus the print statements for instructions) fully but i don't know why it won't run. Listing the code will take forever  but the problem for me is that i don't know what segment of code is needed to start the game. The REM statements are of no help whatsoever.

All i get is the title and the ready prompt

any ideas?

PET fun and games : selected CURSOR programs : Jeffries, Ron, 1943- : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I typed it out on the original 4k pet using WinVice 3.5 B&W mode. No alterations to ram or Rom

Not sure. For a brief moment of time I considered patching the broken OCR plaintext version of the listing to get something that resembles the listing. Then I looked around and found that this game originally was published in CURSOR #2, though a slightly different listing. I'm not sure if you're more interested in the game or figuring out why the listing you typed in doesn't run.

I have attached the PRG that will load and run on anything from 8K 2001 to 32K 3032B (probably also 4000 series, I didn't  check).

zap.prg

Actually on the PET series the secondary argument ,1 does not make a difference. These computers don't have the built-in ability to relocate programs so they will always load to the address those were saved, unlike VIC-20, C64 and onwards where you can load a program to its origin address or relocate it to the beginning of BASIC memory.

Yes, you would LOAD"ZAP.PRG",8 if you pick it up directly from a directory acting like a virtual drive. If you put the PRG file on a D64 image, you would mount the later and LOAD"ZAP",8 (assuming you saved it to the disk image under that name).

The fact that BASIC programs don't relocate, plus that at least sometimes those seem to begin at $0400 rather than $0401, can be an issue if one tries to move a program to/from another Commodore model, but not impossible to overcome.