IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

That doesn't sound unusual, some machines are more reliable than others with the CD support. It's worth trying other memory cards too, as that has a real impact on the CD support.

I have the worlds most unreliable Jaguar with me now, though, so I'm going to have a go at getting things running properly on that before too long. It is without a doubt the most flaky Jaguar I've come across, so when things work on this, I know it will help everyone! I have actually had it in my hands to fix a compatibility issue before, so I know it's possible, but the CD support is unreliable on this machine so I know there are some timing issues somewhere. Kindly donated by Bob over at RetroRGB to further the Jaguar cause. ?

• Like 4

Every CD game I have tried on the GameDrive gives me a black screen right after the Jaguar startup sequence.

(it doesn't matter if I wait for the full animation to complete, or if I press the button to interrupt it as soon as possible)

Is this the normal behavior when the files are not stored on sectors one after the other?

Or do I need to wait several minutes before advancing from the black screen?

(I realize I never had the patience to try that)

I had a freshly formatted SD card, and transferred the files directly to the root of it.

So I assume this is the best action I can do to ensure continuous storage of the files.

Can there be some other problems that prevent CD games from running?

(like it's not working on some Jaguars etc.)

I have firmware-210414 installed on the GameDrive.

Edited by phoboz

I know this is beating a dead horse but is there any update on the fix for the CD2JCD program to accept .ccd or bin/cue files versis just .cdi files?

I know that was the initial program and in the first post of this thread it mentions other formats tho at least for me and many others in the posts mentioned being unable to get anything but .cdi to convert.

Just bringing that part back in and I know SainT has many projects so this is probably on the back end. But that's an update to the program I'm hoping for.

Edited by UHATEIT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

I know this is beating a dead horse but is there any update on the fix for the CD2JCD program to accept .ccd or bin/cue files versis just .cdi files?

I know that was the initial program and in the first post of this thread it mentions other formats tho at least for me and many others in the posts mentioned being unable to get anything but .cdi to convert.

Just bringing that part back in and I know SainT has many projects so this is probably on the back end. But that's an update to the program I'm hoping for.

What games do you still need converting? 

The fast Sandisk card works better than the previous Samsung Evo Plus, but the games are temperamental. However, Battlemorph and Primal Rage work, so I think a fast Sandisk gives the best result I've seen yet. A fair way to go with CD game compatibility, but getting there :-) I'm assuming the CD rips are ok so must be firmware that's the issue, as well as cards.

Regarding success with SD cards. I tried a random one I had laying around, and had minimal success. I tried a new MicroCenter brand, with no success. I got this SanDisk, and have had great success for all of the titles at the link below, with the exception of the five mentioned below. For testing these games, I played them enough to get to some kind of gameplay for each (some for a minute, others for a few minutes), so I can't say that I did any thorough testing. For the ones in error, I tried a fresh format before copying each image, and each time, got the same error.

LINK REMOVED

• Black Ice - White Noise: Boots to black screen after the Atari Jaguar logo
  • Demolition Man: The opening cinematic loads fine, when it switches to the gameplay cinematic, Stallone looks both directions, stares at the screen pointing his gun, and the screen goes black
  • Robinsons Requiem: Boots up and loads fine. As soon as I click on the main screen, presumably to move my character, it goes to a black screen. I can access menu options without a problem. This one also seems to be the worst as far as needing to retry loading it a few times before it gets to this point
  • Vid Grid: As reported by others, stuck on Loading screen with the Vid Grid logo in the background
  • World Tour Racing: Confirmed not working by SainT. I got all the way to the track selection, and the screen froze selecting a track

One other general thing, is that some games will randomly have a high pitched static sound for less than a second. It seems to happen when switching tracks (or something like that). For example in Dragon's Lair, it will do this sometimes after it accepts my command, and starts playing the next animation. This also happens often with Varuna's Forces. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing in this game, but it happens most times when I switch between various "cinematics" using the directional pad.

Overall, nice work. Can play most of the library without issue.

• Like 1

In general with flash carts, ODEs, and other niche devices that read SD cards, I've never had an issue with SanDisk. I've had a Kingston that didn't work on something once, and Samsungs that gave issues. Everything I use now (I have at least couple dozen flash/ODE devices) is SanDisk, unless an SD card came with it, in which case I trust it is compatible and haven't had issues with even generic ones that were pack-ins. Anything running disc images is using SanDisk Ultra, except one device using an Extreme, which wasn't entirely necessary but helped reduce video stutter on games by one developer that even stutter worse on disc due to trying to communicate with the drive a needless amount.

My Jag GD is using a SanDisk Ultra, and I seem to have had the pretty standard experience, with the same issues confirmed regularly by others on certain games. I did have Highlander crash once but I don't know if it was crash-prone to begin with (seems like one that would be). As long as you're sure you got a genuine SanDisk, I think you should be good on that end, and anything else is likely Jag weirdness.

• Like 1

Hi!  My apologies for consulting until today, but I was very busy on my job. I have also been trying to make this work for me on my own by different means. The thing is, I can't get the "jcd" games to work. At first I couldn't even transform the files with the "cd2jcd" program because my PC just didn't run the program, then I saw that here: LINK REMOVED  there are the images and then I tried to make them work, but First I downloaded the latest update of the cartridge: firmware-210414 The curious thing is that in the Readme file that is attached to the "zip" file it says that in the previous version 210413 these update come with that version: Firmware V1.10, ASIC 1.07, Menu V1.07 , but when I checked,this appears on my screen, Firmware V1.09, ASIC 1.06, Menu V1.07. I don't know if I should press something so that my card is updated after copying the update to the root of the SD card. Finally, I tried it with a Kingstone card, in which I have everything  since I bought the cartridge from you (I was buyer number 7 of the first shipment), and in which everything worked for me, but none of the images on the page where are downloaded, it worked for me and I can't convert them on my PC, then I changed the card for a SanDisk Ultra class 10 and got the same result. I loaded "Primal Rage" and "Demolition Man", and I don't know how the loading process should work, but it enters at once as if I were playing a game de jaguar, load the logo and the spinning box with the jaguar and the screen goes black and nothing happens from there (It seems to be the same problem that phoboz had, who wrote in this same post on July 9). I appreciate you please help me solve the problem,

Best Regards

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 8.18.26 PM.jpeg

On 7/17/2021 at 9:56 PM, Jorge Rodriguez said:

Hi!  My apologies for consulting until today, but I was very busy on my job. I have also been trying to make this work for me on my own by different means. The thing is, I can't get the "jcd" games to work. At first I couldn't even transform the files with the "cd2jcd" program because my PC just didn't run the program, then I saw that here: LINK REMOVED there are the images and then I tried to make them work, but First I downloaded the latest update of the cartridge: firmware-210414 The curious thing is that in the Readme file that is attached to the "zip" file it says that in the previous version 210413 these update come with that version: Firmware V1.10, ASIC 1.07, Menu V1.07 , but when I checked,this appears on my screen, Firmware V1.09, ASIC 1.06, Menu V1.07. I don't know if I should press something so that my card is updated after copying the update to the root of the SD card. Finally, I tried it with a Kingstone card, in which I have everything  since I bought the cartridge from you (I was buyer number 7 of the first shipment), and in which everything worked for me, but none of the images on the page where are downloaded, it worked for me and I can't convert them on my PC, then I changed the card for a SanDisk Ultra class 10 and got the same result. I loaded "Primal Rage" and "Demolition Man", and I don't know how the loading process should work, but it enters at once as if I were playing a game de jaguar, load the logo and the spinning box with the jaguar and the screen goes black and nothing happens from there (It seems to be the same problem that phoboz had, who wrote in this same post on July 9). I appreciate you please help me solve the problem,

Best Regards

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 8.18.26 PM.jpeg

When booting and it says ‘press option for firmware update’, as explicitly mentioned in the manual, do this. Follow the link, download the update and apply it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SainT said:

When booting and it says ‘press option for firmware update’, as explicitly mentioned in the manual, do this. Follow the link, download the update and apply it.

Hello SainT!
Thank you very much for your help, I know that when I load the cartridge if I press "option" it will direct me to the QR code and the update page of "Retro HQ",
 my error was not scanning the code, instead I went directly to the "Retro HQ" page and download the update, which is obviously not the last.
Thank you very much again, and sorry if I was a nuisance.
Best regards.

P.S. Now I don't know what happens with my comment before this one (# 315) phoenixdownita wrote to me to remove the download link, but I don't know why
 it won't let me edit, sorry for the inconvenience, can you delete it?
Greetings
Edited by Jorge Rodriguez

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, cubeboy said:

Regarding success with SD cards. I tried a random one I had laying around, and had minimal success. I tried a new MicroCenter brand, with no success. I got this SanDisk, and have had great success for all of the titles at the link below, with the exception of the five mentioned below. For testing these games, I played them enough to get to some kind of gameplay for each (some for a minute, others for a few minutes), so I can't say that I did any thorough testing. For the ones in error, I tried a fresh format before copying each image, and each time, got the same error.

LINK REMOVED

• Black Ice - White Noise: Boots to black screen after the Atari Jaguar logo
  • Demolition Man: The opening cinematic loads fine, when it switches to the gameplay cinematic, Stallone looks both directions, stares at the screen pointing his gun, and the screen goes black
  • Robinsons Requiem: Boots up and loads fine. As soon as I click on the main screen, presumably to move my character, it goes to a black screen. I can access menu options without a problem. This one also seems to be the worst as far as needing to retry loading it a few times before it gets to this point
  • Vid Grid: As reported by others, stuck on Loading screen with the Vid Grid logo in the background
  • World Tour Racing: Confirmed not working by SainT. I got all the way to the track selection, and the screen froze selecting a track

One other general thing, is that some games will randomly have a high pitched static sound for less than a second. It seems to happen when switching tracks (or something like that). For example in Dragon's Lair, it will do this sometimes after it accepts my command, and starts playing the next animation. This also happens often with Varuna's Forces. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing in this game, but it happens most times when I switch between various "cinematics" using the directional pad.

Overall, nice work. Can play most of the library without issue.

I have the same issues with Vid Grid and World Tour Racing, also Battlemorph refuses to load after the Jag screen

Hello Everyone... I really need to know where I can find a reliable source to download the Jaguar CD .bin files?
I want to make sure what I am downloading will work once I convert it to .jcd format.
I only have a couple of games I would like to play and when I went through the process none of them worked.

I do have the latest firmware. I just got my Game Drive yesterday.

1. Primal Rage

2. Iron Solder 2

3. Blue Lightning

4. Myst