IGNORED

1986 Atari Championship Belt

Cousin Vinnie

One of the weirdest (and nicest) presents I ever received, I just got this weekend in Chicago. Some of you know that I am a wrestler, and a pro wrestling fan that knows I'm into Atari purchased and gifted me this Atari Title belt. I like it a lot... but I'm not sure what I have nor why it exists. 

A few weird caveats here. Making pro wrestling belts for other competitions (hot dog eating contests and fantasy football leagues) are kinda a newish thing, so one existing in 1986 for an Atari gimmick is a bit odd to me. And the guy that sold it to the fan claimed it was from a guy that won the $50,000 Atari tournament in Chicago in 1986. I can't find that there was even an Atari championship in 1986 online, and I find that odd that a competition like that existed since the video game crash and Atari was focusing on computers mainly at that point. Also, the side plates feature a Pac-Man plate (Namco- not Atari) AND an Alien Brigade plate (cool), but AB is only for the 7800 and came out in 1990. Also, for a belt that is nearing 40 years of age, it is in prestige condition. 

I'd like to get your thoughts on whether or not this belt is or could be a legit prize from a 1986 Atari World Championship competition in Chicago. Any help is appreciated. 

Funk

Ataribelt.png

Ataribeltleft.png

Ataribeltright.png

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 2

well...I'm pretty sure Alien Brigade wasn't released until (1989? 1990?) so...somethings a little off... Cool belt though!

*edit - that's what I get for skimming the post, seems you already mentioned this!! haha

Edited by Crazy Climber
I was too lazy to read it all
  • Like 1

This is an area about which I know next to nothing, but some light poking around turned up this belt, which looks to be more or less the same basic belt as you've received. 

Checking that company's 'About Us' page, the following stands out: "Any belt can be customized to suit your needs or we can design one from scratch, just for you!"  Looking at their range of replica championship belts, I'd say that one made to order would be well within their capabilities.

Just my $0.02, but between that and everything already noted above, I'm going to charitably describe it as someone's what-if fantasy belt and not a poor attempt at palming off a bit of bogus memorabilia to someone on eBay.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

And they sure as shit didn't play Alien Brigade in '86 cause it didn't even exist until a couple years after that (as you mentioned) so the whole background of it all is not believable. Still a really cool belt though.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Shawn said:

And they sure as shit didn't play Alien Brigade in '86 cause it didn't even exist until a couple years after that (as you mentioned) so the whole background of it all is not believable. Still a really cool belt though.

Not to mention that the Pac-Man pic came from the more recent Pac-Man Collection homebrew cart (on 7800) instead of the official Atari cart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Shawn said:

Overall it sounds like someone made something very nice to gift to Vinnie but they added a bullshit story to try and make it cooler when it was already super cool to begin with.

Atariboy2600 can be proud, since his artwork was used on the belt. ?