IGNORED

15kHz VGA Monitor

acadiel

Got this from Amazon, and it does support 15kHz on my Amiga 1200.  Which leads me to wondering if we can get a VGA -> socket made for the Geneve/Mechatronic/EVPC/EVPC2/AVPC and try it on these systems, or least crowdsource the cable pinout and stick them here in this thread.  (Sidebar:  I went looking for the SNUG website to see if they had pinouts, but my bookmark must be old - I can't find it.  Anyone have the current link?)

At $139, it's a pretty good deal.  The only negative thing is I can't seem to consistently force 4:3 mode.  Has a gorgeous screen!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GV9H1RS/

The Mechatronic and EVPC look somewhat alike.  Anyone want to check me on these and fill in the missing ones?

Mechatronic (DE9):

Pin 1 = Ground to Composite Input "Ground" / Sync input "Ground"

Pin 2 - not used

Pin 3 = Red

Pin 4 = Green

Pin 5 = Blue

Pin 6 - not used

Pin 7 = +5V

Pin 8 = Sync 

Pin 9 = not used

Geneve (8 pin DIN):

Pin 1 = +12V for RF Modulator

Pin 2 = Ground

Pin 3 = Audio

Pin 4 = Composite Video

Pin 5 = Ground for RF Mod, else Red

Pin 6 = Green

Pin 7 = Blue

Pin 8 = Composite Sync

EVPC (DE9):

Pin 1 = N/C

Pin 2 = GND

Pin 3 = Red

Pin 4 = Green

Pin 5 = Blue

Pin 6 = Sound

Pin 7 = 5V

Pin 8 = Csync

Pin 9 = N/C

VGA Pinout:

Pin Name Dir Description
1 RED --> Red Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
2 GREEN --> Green Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
3 BLUE --> Blue Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
4 N/C    
5 GND --- Ground
6 RGND --- Red Ground
7 GGND --- Green Ground
8 BGND --- Blue Ground
9 KEY - Key (No pin)
10 SGND --- Sync Ground
11 N/C    
12 N/C    
13 HSYNC or CSYNC --> Horizontal Sync (or Composite Sync)
14 VSYNC --> Vertical Sync
15 N/C    

• Like 4

I've purchased a couple of these for use as 15khz monitors, and they also work fairly well (one on my Amiga, one on my Atari ST, both with just passive adapters). (Note I bought from Canada, so check the model number: VE228H)

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE228H-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B00413PHDM

I've used this list a couple of times to go shopping now :)

http://15khz.wikidot.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tursi said:

I've used this list a couple of times to go shopping now :)

http://15khz.wikidot.com/

I keep this 15khz link on my phone for whenever I’m thrifting. Easily found two NEC MultiSync 19” 4*3 LCD monitors — 1970gx and 1970nx. Both work great with classic Macs, Atari ST, etc. No add on or converters needed. 

With this the list I was able find them in a few months during weekly stops at the local Goodwill.  Cost: $9.99 each.

Very impressed with the quality of NEC MultiSync monitors. Especially considering they’re both over 15 years old.

• Like 4

i've ordered some 15khz VGA test boards. (PCBs only).  Powered by a lithium battery to take around and be able to test monochrome and color to see if a thrift store find monitor supports 15khz.

I've ordered 5 of each.  So I will have 4 available of each Monochrome and 4 each for the color board.  $2.00 each + shipping (blank pcb only).  PM me if interested.  I only needed one of each.

Read about it as well as the code files HERE

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This may need to be moved to a new thread. I replaced the 9938 and a leaking capacitor on a EVPC, then I wired up a 9 pin to scart cable based on the info on post #1.

I am finally getting something, a white screen with faint greyish stripes in the first picture, after I turn on the PEB box, then in the second picture after I turn on the console the strips get thicker and have a greyish, blue- like cyan color. Is this a sync issue or do I need to do some more work on my interface. I took a Scart plug, set up for composite on 8 pin din and rewired it to do rgb on a DE9 that fits the EVPC port. 

20210722_001326.jpg

20210722_001342.jpg

• 2 years later...

I've been given an AppleColor High Resolution RGB Monitor M0401

Has the old Mac 15-pin input.

Can this somehow be used with Composite, or an ST adapter, VGA or "anything at all" (besides an old Mac)?

It seems I could use it for a MISTer system, which is a reason to keep it... but I have not decided to acquire a MISTer.

From reading it was a very nice Trinitron tube but it's just taking space presently.