IGNORED

Help with Retron 77, Stella, Cartridges

goldengalaxiesgaming

Short answer: Forget the cartridge port, it is only a marketing gimmick.

Long answer: The cartridge port cannot handle all types of carts. Carts with ROMs which are <= 4K or ROMs with 8K or 16K and using Atari's standard bankswitching should work (but even here there are exceptions). All carts containing different ROMs will not work. People have created compatibility lists, search the forums to find them.

But all the ROMs will work from SD card.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Long answer: The cartridge port cannot handle all types of carts. Carts with ROMs which are <= 4K or ROMs with 8K or 16K and using Atari's standard bankswitching should work (but even here there are exceptions). All carts containing different ROMs will not work. People have created compatibility lists, search the forums to find them.

Thank you for the info but maybe I was not clear. I was able to play carts before using Stella. I bought Circus Convoy and want to play it in HD on my Retron 77 but do not have the rom for the game How do I get cartridges working again?

26 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Circus Convoy? Definitely not on R77! 

The cart only works on the original consoles.

I played Circus Convoy on my original console and really like it. Wasn't sure if it would work on the Retron 77. Most of my original carts worked on my Retron 77 but Pitfall would not play. Why wouldn't Circus Convoy play on the Retron? And is there a way to once again play the carts that did work?

I was thinking about pirchasing a retron 77, I do not have any 2600 system right now (but I did as a kid growing up, pre Apple 2). 

Is there some kind of cartridge to rom hardware/software that can be used to make a rom file for any of the homebrew that don’t offer a rom download instead of physical cartridge?

I really don’t want the clutter of physical cartridges, but still want to support the few remaining developers on the 2600 with a purchase. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Circus Convoy? Definitely not on R77! 

The cart only works on the original consoles.

Really? Wow. I'd like to support them with a purchase, but to only work on an original console seems extremely limiting. I get that they don't want pirating, but they are also preventing purchasing if that's the case.

Edited by Jimmygtr

This is not their fault, but solely the fault of the R77. The cart slot is a fake. Actually it is a only a very rudimentary dumper, which is used to read the plugged in carts to be then played in Stella. And this dumper supports only very few types of carts.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

As Thomas said, it has nothing to do with piracy protection and Audacity Games is not actively preventing the cart from working in non original console.
The fact is simply that a modern replacement for an Atari 2600 is not available so far, so the original is the only option, if you want to play actual cartriges.
You can buy a digital copy (rom) together with the cart, and you can play that on the Retron 77.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2021 at 7:30 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Hello. Not sure where to ask this, but I recently updated my Retron 77's Stella and not only do the cartridges not work like they used to, but the ROMs seem to crash the system too. The game will run for a few seconds and then completely freeze the system. Only a power off cycle will fix it. But then when I select another ROM it freezes again.

Is this common at all?

2 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Is this common at all?

Not common, but such reports have become more frequent lately. 

Currently we are investigating into this with the help of an affected R77 owner. For now, we have eliminated some alternative setup options. The best option we currently found is to install an old community build.

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Not common, but such reports have become more frequent lately. 

Currently we are investigating into this with the help of an affected R77 owner. For now, we have eliminated some alternative setup options. The best option we currently found is to install an old community build.

Hello.

Thanks. I re-installed the files that came with the Return 77 (I backed up the files on my PC) and it seems to work fine now (Cartridge and ROMs). I'm just limited to how many ROMs I can have on the Hyperkin UI screen.