IGNORED

Galaxian sound hack?

I should keep up with the 7800 scene more.  I had no idea.  I just grabbed Bob's latest release but it seems to have TIA sound.

Is there one with your Pokey sounds?

Even the TIA sounds are better than Atari's woeful A8 effects though.  It would be a worthwhile project but of course the inadequate gameplay would still remain.

ed - just tried out Uniwar S as well.  Very accurate conversion and just as frustrating as the original.  It wasn't a game I much liked, from memory a local tavern had it as one of few options in the area for a while.  I think most of the ones here were switchable with Ghostmuncher as the other game (which apparently was a bootleg of Puckman, later known as PacMan)

Bob seems to have a knack of capturing these games accurately, and making many of the original 7800 games of the day look somewhat embarrasing.

Edited by Rybags

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Have to wonder - could the sawtooth come into use for the opening tune with Pokey?

In any case, interested in what's on offer.

In fact, I used 16-bit $Cx mod 3, just for that.  I will convert to xex and post tonight, my 7800 executables are in Bob's thread if you want to hear them too.

13 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I recently did POKEY sounds for a 7800 conversion of Galaxian ... and now, I was wondering, how feasible would it be to hack these into the 8-bit/5200 version?

Can you post the sounds your POKEY sounds here (or direct me to their location in the 7800 thread) ? I'm interested to hear them, but was having some problem locating them in the 7800 thread.

Here are the sounds ... some notes:

Intro tune and coin insert are AUDCTL=$50 16-bit using first two channels.

All others are AUDCTL=$60 as follows:

Alien deaths, extra life sounds:  third channel, C distortion at 1.79 mhz

Alien swoops:  First channel, C distortion as above

Background hum:  second channel, A distortion

Player shot:  third and 4th channel, C distortion and 8 distortion

Player death:  4th channel, 0 distortion

START key to cycle through sounds

I will do a double POKEY build next

galaxian.asm galaxian.bat galaxian.s galaxian.xex

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice - though with the startup tune I think the notes are a bit short and possibly quicker than the arcade.

Have to wonder with Atari's version, were most of the sounds just placeholders until someone sat down and did a proper job, then they just said let's release it anyway.

There are a few problems due to limitations:

1.  $Cx at 1.79 mhz forces us to use non mod 3 frequencies.  This makes the alien sounds and dives a bit scratchy

2.  The above setting only goes down to $FF=A#4.  The flagship death sound in the arcade dips below this, so I inserted silence for those parts

3.  On the dives, this setting has a coarse frequency range, so I had to do the old "play two frequencies quickly" trick

All of these will not be an issue with double POKEY which will allow for three 16-bit channels using $Cx at mod 3 frequencies.