IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 11 and 12 ~ A Trip to the Jungle!

Vocelli

New high for Pitfall II :) Still missing the ring. Trying to remember how to get it before consulting a map (just played it last year in the CV HSC, so I thought I'd remember).

Pitfall II or Why I hate bats and birds - 120,138

pitfall2-120k.thumb.JPG.0bf5b4ef6e318987f82822166fa17b6f.JPG

And for fun, I was exploring (trying to find that ring) and finished with the lowest score possible, like @ZilchSr mentioned:

pitfall2-10k-lowest_finish.thumb.JPG.ba57810be1f9375044c5ce8b7b988656.JPG

• Like 1

Pitfall 2-185,231

This game has me making up Intellivision-Level dirty words at this point(that's bad.).

Gonna be REALLY pissed at me if I can't get perfect, the stupid Buzzards(IDC what they really are)are usually my downfall...

Still, surprised as heck to do this well.

2600Pitfalltwo185231.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Found the ring! Now I'm just gunnin' for that perfect score. And correction on my 10K lowest completion score from before- since I didn't collect all of the special treasures, I technically didn't finish the game, just got to the end screen. When correctly finished, the controls freeze. Anyway, great game and very creative manual. Plus, David Crane in a pith helmet, hahaha.

Pitfall II - 172,747

pitfall2-172k.thumb.JPG.37cc0fe644f7bccf4e530080edf726bc.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZilchSr said:

Congo Bongo - 478,170

Now I know you were serious with your previous "rollage" comment.

I've just started playing this one and have a long way to go before breaking 100k, let alone 1M.  I may get there, but so far, I've not gotten past the "frustration" stage for this game.  I'm not consistent figuring out where I need to be to avoid coconuts on the first board.  For the second board, I need to be more patient since the game is pretty unresponsive if I try to switch direction quickly or if I don't pause for a moment with each jump across the alligators.

• Like 2

@Vocelli: What are the rules and expectations regarding point pressing?

I have found that with Congo Bongo, it's pretty easy to do point pressing.  For example, once you make it to the top of the first board, you can just wander around the right half of the screen and have zero risk of getting killed.  You earn 10 points per step and since you can take more than 10 steps each time the bonus timer decreases by 100, you earn more points just walking in circles than you do by immediately finishing the board and claiming the bonus.  On the first board, this amounts to scoring more like 8k rather than the usual ~5500.

In my opinion, point pressing should be allowed for this game since a timer limits the amount of extra points you can accumulate in this manner.  Do others have a different opinion?  @ZilchSr: Did you use point pressing strategies when you scored 478k and what are your thoughts on this?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bongo: 155,230.  Pitfall II: 180514.  Jungle Hunt: 38,330.  F***ing Pitfall, man.  I had a perfect game and touched the last frog.  I touched the last frog, and I was totally in a safe spot to the side of the ladder and had all the time in the world, but I rushed it by half a second.  What a crock.  

IMG_20210419_094127.thumb.jpg.ea8401301045d9d9ebf3a34c66c5c35a.jpgIMG_20210419_131322.thumb.jpg.19e3b06501ac4466df0c85edf299c766.jpg

IMG_20210419_173108.thumb.jpg.3c327027f313d828ba0ed55bd27d35d3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

F***ing Pitfall, man.  I had a perfect game and touched the last frog.  I touched the last frog, and I was totally in a safe spot to the side of the ladder and had all the time in the world, but I rushed it by half a second.  What a crock.  

That last bat/frog combo is the effing worst ain't it. It's the final f*ck you right at the end.

I really like the game, but I have to keep reminding myself that there is no timer, so slow down! Aaaaah.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fakecortex said:

That last bat/frog combo is the effing worst ain't it. It's the final f*ck you right at the end.

I really like the game, but I have to keep reminding myself that there is no timer, so slow down! Aaaaah.

It's really not that bad.  Just duck the bat and hop off the ladder to the left or right and then wait for the frog to jump away.  Just got ahead of myself by that one pixel.  Course, that's all it takes, right?  I've had a perfect run of the first cavern with a 5200 controller before; can't get much more forgiving than that.  That second cavern on the other versions, though...  That's brutal.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

It's really not that bad.  Just duck the bat and hop off the ladder to the left or right and then wait for the frog to jump away.  

That’s a great strategy. Smacking my head. I got better at it, but I was timing it as one go, playing fast instead of playing smart. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kermit73 said:

I have found that with Congo Bongo, it's pretty easy to do point pressing.  For example, once you make it to the top of the first board, you can just wander around the right half of the screen and have zero risk of getting killed.  You earn 10 points per step and since you can take more than 10 steps each time the bonus timer decreases by 100, you earn more points just walking in circles than you do by immediately finishing the board and claiming the bonus.  On the first board, this amounts to scoring more like 8k rather than the usual ~5500.

In my opinion, point pressing should be allowed for this game since a timer limits the amount of extra points you can accumulate in this manner.  Do others have a different opinion?  @ZilchSr: Did you use point pressing strategies when you scored 478k and what are your thoughts on this?

I personally feel that because there is a timer, that this point pressing should absolutely be allowed. I've ran the numbers, and it looks like the player yields a mere extra 60-80 points per 100 timer units by doing the point pressing vs. just ending the stage. Not a huge yield of points, tbh.

To answer your second question, I didn't point press at all on any of the stage 1s, however, there is about 3 seconds during the transition from stage 1 to stage 2 where if you move your man, you can get about 100-150 points by walking blind ... the downside to that is that the movements are retained as if you performed the movements while on the second stage, and if you're not careful, you'll begin stage two dying in the water because you walked too far during the transition. The risk is not worth the small reward. Also, after reaching the top of stage 2 and going off screen to "burn the monkey" (or whatever LOL), you can gain about 30 points if you keep pushing the controller (I think in any direction). I did that no-risk move a few times, but not every time. My technique's objective was fastest speed rather than point-press. While point-pressing, you might get 7,000 per minute or even less, but just blowing through the stages you can easily average 14k-18k per minute. So based on this, I considered any kind of point pressing being a colossal waste of my time, so I didn't engage in it routinely. The very little point pressing I did do likely amounted to a total of 2,000 points or less throughout the entire 30-minute game (never more than ~150 points on any given stage, with most stages none at all), some of that pressing being unintentional.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, kermit73 said:

Yes, 'Point Pressing' will be allowed in this instance since there is a timer involved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

I personally feel that because there is a timer, that this point pressing should absolutely be allowed. I've ran the numbers, and it looks like the player yields a mere extra 60-80 points per 100 timer units by doing the point pressing vs. just ending the stage. Not a huge yield of points, tbh.

To answer your second question, I didn't point press at all on any of the stage 1s, however, there is about 3 seconds during the transition from stage 1 to stage 2 where if you move your man, you can get about 100-150 points by walking blind ... the downside to that is that the movements are retained as if you performed the movements while on the second stage, and if you're not careful, you'll begin stage two dying in the water because you walked too far during the transition. The risk is not worth the small reward. Also, after reaching the top of stage 2 and going off screen to "burn the monkey" (or whatever LOL), you can gain about 30 points if you keep pushing the controller (I think in any direction). I did that no-risk move a few times, but not every time. My technique's objective was fastest speed rather than point-press. While point-pressing, you might get 7,000 per minute or even less, but just blowing through the stages you can easily average 14k-18k per minute. So based on this, I considered any kind of point pressing being a colossal waste of my time, so I didn't engage in it routinely. The very little point pressing I did do likely amounted to a total of 2,000 points or less throughout the entire 30-minute game (never more than ~150 points on any given stage, with most stages none at all), some of that pressing being unintentional.

And if you think you're going to stay safe by just walking straight down during the screen transitions, nice try.  It will disable the jump button.

But, I used Zilch's exact point pressing method (with dramatically less result).  Technically, playing through the levels quickly leaves a lot of points on the table, but you'd need the patience of Job to do it.  Didn't we learn with Dishaster that getting rollage isn't worth your soul, dignity, and sanity?

Edited by MrTrust
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Not that anyone asked me, lol...

As I've stated before, I GET why, for high scoring that such has to be in place, but I personally think the idea of "leeching" being wrong whatsoever is just too unregulatable to even bother with, if the programmer screwed up, he screwed up, whoever has the stamina to exploit it the longest gets to win, haha!

But in the Congo Bongo, I do think, with the timer and all, that it falls under pressing, not leeching, even by the strictest standards.

As mentioned, it doesn't amount to an astronomical amount of points anyway, just helps lower scorers maximize their potential.

Not why I popped on here anyway.

Pitfall 2...

:(

Man, those buzzards and bats are one of the more challenging things I have encountered in a video game, I really feel lucky anytime I get past one, not "skilled", and it's really starting to piss me off, I just don't understand what I can't "see" that others do, as far as how to figure out their timing, much respect, because I KNOW they are doing it "on purpose".

Ticks me off, I can "perfect" for a solid 7 or 8 minutes, then it just goes to crap. Over and over and over.

As frustrating as it is tho, it's a fun play, I really haven't had to grind on anything big time lately, other than my close to par scores here in the HSC I've been playing things I was already good at, so that's something.

My plan, after doing decently well on the PF2 was to knock out the perfect really quick, and concentrate on the other games, but David Crane had other ideas, I guess.

OK. Back down in the hole...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Vocelli said:

Yes, 'Point Pressing' will be allowed in this instance since there is a timer involved.

Thank you to all who responded to this question.  I think it's helpful to know that point pressing is an option available to anyone who has the patience for it.

I agree that point pressing this game is extremely boring and is a waste of time if your goal is to complete boards.  With that said, if you are a less skilled player, it could make a significant difference to your final score.  My best game without point pressing so far is around 70k.  If I had employed point pressing on every level, my final score likely would have been around 100k.  This is a significant difference, although the higher score is more a measure of patience + endurance than it is a measure of actual skill.

I will likely just complete boards most of my games so I don't waste a lot of time getting to the harder levels of the game which I still can't seem to pass consistently.  However, at some point, I may aggressively press for points in an effort to maximize my score.

• Like 3