IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 11 and 12 ~ A Trip to the Jungle!

Vocelli

On 4/17/2021 at 1:15 AM, fakecortex said:

Lining up those alligator kills in Jungle Hunt gives me trouble on every system I play this on. Can’t seem to jump the cannibal yet. This one on Atari 8bit computers is *chef’s kiss*

For the alligators, you don't have to line up with them to kill... just hit them from underneath... sort of the inverse of Joust.

To jump the witch doctor, I find it easiest to stand near the spot where he lands closer to you and jump right as he comes down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lol, somebody's gonna mash it, for sure, but I'm starting to get a little proud of that Jungle Hunt score!!!

?

I KNOW some of the heavy-hitters have this in their pocket, "play it once and kill it", but I still can't believe this one has held up this long, NOT a game I feel I am "good at", in any way, shape, form or fashion, I swear...

Haha-and I AM playing more Congo Bongo.

Unfortunately, it's, uhh, on Colecovision.

:P

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Congo Bongo: 157360

I may come back to this game, but there are two other games I need to get going on in the next week.

I have started enjoying this game, but am still pretty annoyed with how horribly the game was programmed. 

In particular, on the first board the jump button doesn't always work.  This usually happens on the platform with the monkeys.  After shaking a monkey off your back, you only actually jump once every 2-3 times you press the button.  I cannot tell you how many times I took a bath in the river/waterfall because my character didn't jump when pushing the button.  This also happened a few times the platform just after the bridge (the one that sinks), most commonly after needing to jump over a coconut that followed me across the bridge.

On the second board, I find the fish to be pretty frustrating on the higher levels, although I'm not sure if I should characterize them as "annoying" or "challenging" since I did get better at jumping across them after playing the game for awhile.  I still sometimes get killed shortly after solidly landing on the fish nowhere near its tail and am left wondering what I did wrong.  This is another place the jump button is unresponsive if you try to jump too quickly from the second fish to the land at the top of the screen.  I've had several annoying deaths because I just walked off the top of the fish rather than jumping to safety after pressing the button.

I opted to not point press most of my games, but wouldn't rule it out if I come back to this game.  I've found that by walking in circles on the first board (rather than just walking back and forth), you can earn about 200 points for every time the bonus meter drops by 100, but on the second board, it's more like 150 per 100.  I'm not sure if the bonus countdown is faster on the second board or if you just accumulate points slower on the second board, but there is definitely more potential for point pressing on the first board.

image.thumb.png.a32697ab9e57e4d8361d5502eb5a0ac7.png

• Like 5

intellectually, I know Pitfall 2 is a well made game and it has a lot of great qualities. I just don't like it that much. Dodging is hard and getting sent back to a faraway check point and watching all those points roll back is one of the most gutting experiences in Atari gaming.

• Like 2