IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 11 and 12 ~ A Trip to the Jungle!

Vocelli

2 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Same here. This version's boulder screen is flat instead of uphill and I wonder if that's throwing us off.

Uphill does help as you do not fall as far when you land giving more time for the next jump. 

The big difference for me is I am having trouble with the bounce patterns of the big boulders.   In the computer one the big boulder bounce patterns where consistent and they made it harder by having a small boulder just behind it and faster rather than what almost looks like a  random bounce pattern in the 2600 version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AtariSphinx said:

Uphill does help as you do not fall as far when you land giving more time for the next jump. 

The big difference for me is I am having trouble with the bounce patterns of the big boulders.   In the computer one the big boulder bounce patterns where consistent and they made it harder by having a small boulder just behind it and faster rather than what almost looks like a  random bounce pattern in the 2600 version.

Ya, I did this game on Coleco some this past couple weeks, the upwards hill does help a lot!

This is gonna sound SOO bad, and I'm probably wrong-

Like or not, I don't actually respect my own skillset that much-I tend not to focus as well as some of my Mentors/Gurus, I learn the basics and start throwing shit at the wall until it sticks, I guess.

But this game seems to me, as I play it, that it would be really easy for a Master to suss out exactly what is "supposed to happen".

With ZilchSr himself having chimed in about the inanity of the game, I guess I could be wrong, and again, likely am.

I didn't get far, but I remember backing away from the big rocks, until I had a shot to run under them?

(Again, "Coleco Clouded", for all I remember you may have to jump the big rocks on 2600).

But duck/jump, I definitely remember backing to the far right of the screen almost.

• Like 2

Jungle Hunt: 41950

Pitfall II: 167850

I'm not thrilled with my score on either of these games, but need to get something posted.  I may be able to improve later today or sometime tomorrow.

Like others, I'm struggling the most with thelarge boulders on Jungle Hunt.  It also seems to take me 2-3 games before I can consistently get past the cannibals at the end of each round.

For as much hype Pitfall II has gotten, I've been pretty disappointed with the game.  I don't mean to discredit the programming accomplishment, but I find the game play and the background sound to be just plain annoying.  I think this may be a game I would have needed to play back when it came out to truly appreciate. 

Granted, I need to get better at running under bats and condors, but I really wish the healing stations were a little closer together, even if that meant deducting points at a faster rate.  It's particularly annoying to have to redo large portions of the game after every death, only to reach the same point I just died, die again, and have to repeat the process.  This is one of the reasons I never got into some of the MMOs from more recent decades that many of my friends are playing.  Losing points (or experience, stats, etc.) for a death makes sense, but also getting punished by having to take the time to redo a more boring part of the game was always the deal-breaker for me.

image.thumb.png.bec450b0922742962879b54879996743.png

image.thumb.png.ca032fd7b556c395a2467596f01e9bf8.png

Edited by kermit73
Improved Pitfall II Score; Added YouTube links
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rogerpoco said:

But this game seems to me, as I play it, that it would be really easy for a Master to suss out exactly what is "supposed to happen".

I agree.  The vines, water, and the cannibals can be figured out. Once you know when to jump and where to swim can pass those with more regularity and when I mess up its because of my bad timing.  I have to think the same for the boulder screen but this is where I lose all my lives or hope I get less big boulders in my playthrough.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

So what exactly did this ape do to deserve to be hunted?

The answer lies in the opening scene of the arcade game where the ape comes and sets fire to your tush while you're fast asleep in a tent.  This, along with the middle two boards didn't make it into the 2600 version.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kermit73 said:

The answer lies in the opening scene of the arcade game where the ape comes and sets fire to your tush while you're fast asleep in a tent.  This, along with the middle two boards didn't make it into the 2600 version.

The Rhino middle board is AWESOME on the Coleco, super frustrating, super fun to try to crack.

Picked up a new Friend during my weeks in the Jungle...

Cinnamon Conure, 'bout 7 weeks old.

SOOO pretty!!!

baby.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

I agree.  The vines, water, and the cannibals can be figured out. Once you know when to jump and where to swim can pass those with more regularity and when I mess up its because of my bad timing.  I have to think the same for the boulder screen but this is where I lose all my lives or hope I get less big boulders in my playthrough.

After watching a couple Jungle Hunt games on Twin Galaxies (scores of 70k+), it appears that you can time your jumps over the boulders based on how many steps you take.  On the later levels, they take three steps between every jump and most the time, the timing is correct for both the big boulders and the small boulders.

Of course, I was unable to replicate this in my own game play, so I'm not sure if there is something to this method of timing jumps or if these players just got lucky on their high score performances.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kermit73 said:

After watching a couple Jungle Hunt games on Twin Galaxies (scores of 70k+), it appears that you can time your jumps over the boulders based on how many steps you take.  On the later levels, they take three steps between every jump and most the time, the timing is correct for both the big boulders and the small boulders.

Of course, I was unable to replicate this in my own game play, so I'm not sure if there is something to this method of timing jumps or if these players just got lucky on their high score performances.

I took your advice and watched a twin galaxies video and also saw them jumping over the big boulders as well.   Tried it myself and it does work but it seems timing and position was key.  

What worked for me was moving as far left as possible and hold the joystick to the upper left diagonal and leave it there for the rest of the level.  For the jump timing I found jumping when the boulder is at its apex and starting to go down towards you.   Was able to do this fairly consistently but funny enough now was losing lives on the vines!

At least was able to better my score.

• Like 1