IGNORED

Atari 2600 Games You Still Play?

8bitgamer

Some that come to mind that I'll play:  Adventure, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Tunnel Runner, Pitfall II,  Spike's Peak,  some homebrews.

There's others,  but I would also say that many of the games on that system don't hold my interest very long anymore, or there's a better version of the game on another system that I'll play instead.

I just can't get enough of Galaxian, there are several versions on the ROM set I found ;) and also love the Galaxian Arcade Homebrew. I have the 2600 permanantly set up in my home bar. Indy 500 is also a right laugh with my daughter but of course, you need the controllers.

For me, the library roughly breaks into 3 categories:

1) "Best left in the past" - if I'm being honest, this is the largest group.  It consists of games that are just to simple/janky/crude/simplistic/etc. to be any fun for my adult self.

2) "For quick bursts only" - games that are reasonably high quality but not likely to be repeatedly played.  This category includes many of the system's arcade ports; i.e., games that may be quite good but have been rendered superfluous by my ability to play the original versions on my MAME cabinet

3) "the recurring regulars" - games that I continue to play and re-play over and over.  Basically, a pile of original Activision games plus a select few others.  Frostbite is one of my favorite video games of all time, for example.  

Several get played a couple times a year.  Spider Fighter,  Superman,  Haunted House,  Missile Command, Enduro  etc etc.   Also several newer homebrews.... Stay Frosty,  Mappy,  Venture,  Wizard of Wor, Juno First,  etc etc

But the one game I play most of all is Adventure. After all these years I still must play game 3 at least 10 times a year. 

When I pull the Atari out I repeatedly play for a few days:

Yars' Revenge

HERO

Congo Bongo

Cosmic Ark

Tutenkham

Juno First

Gravitar

Night Driver gets less routine play because I hesitate to switch the paddles in, but it's one of my favorites, maybe even my most favorite. Definitely I will play it sometimes.

I always scan my Harmony Cart for ones to revisit and pick a few.

One I haven't played in a while and not sure why is Montezuma's Revenge.

Excellent weirdo options still in my queue are:

Up n' Down

Muppets in Space

I grabbed those from somebody's list on Atariage, same place I got Congo Bongo, which graduated to regular rotation.

Gorf, Fantastic Voyage and Dragon Fire get some play.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Zylon, I quit the collecting end years ago, sold a bunch that I really only got because I was collecting, bit I still haven't gotten the nerve to prune further. Still keep every Activsion/Imagic cart  ever had, for example. I always play the 2600 in the summer, on original hardware & with a CRT, much less so during the rest of the year. 

I'll mostly play:

Missile Command

Adventure 

Enduro

Circus Atari

Kaboom 

Warlords if any of the kids are around

Occasionally I 'll get on a streak and play a bunch if carts for like 5-10 minutes a pop and make a mess.Once I put everything away neatly, I don't take it out for a long stretch. Never did get that dedicated setup 100%. So I will play Adventure and Track & Field some on Stella once in a blue.

My old standbys are Asteroids, Demon Attack, Cosmic Ark, Defender, Phaser Patrol, Warlords, Adventure, Tutankham, Escape from the Mindmaster, but as I've dug deeper beyond my cartridges and I've been getting into:

Laser Blast

Megamania

Mines of Minos

Tunnel Runner

Gyruss

Laser Gates

Fantastic Voyage

Armor Ambush

Othello

Gravitar

Pitfall

• Like 1

Here's my list that I try to play every day:

Space Invaders

Asteroids

Missile Command

Berzerk

Pacman

Ms. Pacman

Phoenix

Pitfall

Just to name a few, but these are my main "go to" games on any given day. This morning was Phoenix and Ms. Pacman before work. :)

• Like 1

One of my favorite games that I still play (Of course, I play a lot of 'em) is Pele's Soccer. Sure, the graphics are not good but the gameplay is tight and the fireworks effect is very good.

I also play the Mythicon games to remind me that not every game in the 80's was good

• Haha 1

For the past half decade, far and away the most played is Mattel's Super Challenge Baseball.
Once you get used to the controls, it is excellent.

One thing I have to do though, is figured out how to patch the game to eliminate home runs.
There are times in which there are large numbers of home runs in a game.
We grumble at each other when that happens (this game is two player only)

baseball.thumb.png.76d52108d21ca03c23433808b555ac05.png

I love the Mattel sports games, but since they are two player they rarely get played. Kinda sad really. Same goes for their INTV counterparts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some time ago, I quit the "collecting", and kept only what I actually played- Galaxian, Battlezone, Phoenix, Missile Command, Kaboom!, Seaquest, River Raid, Robot Tank, Yar's Revenge, Space Invaders, Mario Bros, Millipede, Frogger, Gyruss, Ms Pacman, Astroblast, Tron Deadly Discs, Tapeworm, Super Breakout, Night Driver, Video Pinball, Joust, and Bowling, maybe couple others.
Since then, I've ordered the Uno cart ,for one of my Sears decks, to use at my work apartment.

Pretty god list!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...