IGNORED

PiePacker - Here We Go Again...

18 hours ago, godslabrat said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/piepacker/piepacker-online-multiplayer-for-retro-games

A crowdfunded console that plays retro video games.  Hooo boy....

It's not a console, it's more like Antstream with homebrew games as well, and the idea is to create to some kind of virtual living room to play with your friends online.
It's free but there will be subscription for perks (like early access to new games).

I tried it and it's pretty cool imho.

Edited by roots.genoa

As far as I know, it's a free streaming service that works on a web browser (Edge or Chrome). I was not aware of this cartridge reader, which is indeed kind of intriguing. Since there are already NES, Genesis, and NeoGeo games, I guess they thought they should let people play their own games without encouraging piracy (hence dumping your own cartridges). I just wonder how they will come up with a cartridge reader compatible with several formats... ?

• 1 year later...

Heh.. Well..

When it comes to these retrothings I always ask myself a few questions sortalike:

1- Is this how I want to game?

2- Is there a significant convenience factor here? How many hoops to jump through? How many caveats to consume?

3- Is this a long-term thing with long-term support? And by long-term I mean looonnnnnnngggg!

Invariably the answers tend to turn me off.

At this point in time I want to game on hardware that has a personal sentimental connection to me. And I want it to be simple to operate. Or if more complex, operate in an intuitive manner. Or how I've been doing it for ages. Think connectors and physical media and real switches. Or in the case of emulation, menus that I've seen an interacted with 1,001 times in the past. Not interested in learning new more rabbitholeish ways of doing what I already know how.

Original hardware has a solid community behind it replete with replacement parts, mods, knowledge base know-how from forums, and new software from homebrewers. There's emulators that've been around for decades and they're still being improved today. Cannot say that for fly-by-nite kickstarters.

• Like 1

I'm just questioning why anyone would want their game system to have a pointless glass dome that does nothing but get in the way and increase manufacturing cost and then subsequently the price you have to pay to buy the damn thing.

Actually, I thought about it some more and maybe it's a cat deterrent. It prevents your cat(s) from attempting to sabotage your gameplay by preventing aforementioned cat(s) from touching the cartridge while playing because that's what cats do, except for when they don't. It's probably an emulator box that dumps the ROM and therefore having the cart in there probably isn't 100% necessary anyway, but you know...

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

The cart reader (that I picked without the silly glass dome mind you) is dead,

This whole thing is silly. Dotcom 2.0 silly. Web 6.0 silly. And so is the name. 

27 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

but the service still works very well, and allows to play your own ROMs with your friends remotely. I'm not sure a lot of emulators offer that feature (if any).

This remote play was never popular back in the day. Not even with Kaillera.

Classic gaming just doesn’t lend itself to such play styles. So the feature is moot.

• Confused 1