Jump to content
Probabilitydragon

A song with POKEY sounds, released today!

Recommended Posts

Check out my latest offering!

 

 

The Atari 600XL (with a 1064) was used for many of the sounds here, as well as the visuals. 
 

a quiz - which POKEY distortion setting did I mostly use? 
 

that’s an easy question for you guys I reckon. But can you name the A8 drum sequencer I used in the second verse?

 

I hope I won’t find myself banned for ruthless self promotion 😉 I hope you guys instead appreciate my humble efforts for spreading A8 love here in Finland... where tha ATARI 8 bits were pretty much unknown even back in the day as this was Commodore country then!

 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds to me as distortion 6 and the drum machine could be Digi Drum by 2 Bit Systems. Nice song even if I do not understand a single word. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Rannalla istuja means Sitting On The Shore(literally the one sitting on the shore) - I might post a translation when I have one ready. The lyrics are about love, longing and death in a folk ballad style...

 

But, as far as the guesses are concerned - distortion 6, no - digi drum, no. I think there’s dist. 6 as well (can’t remember what all sounds I dug out and sampled) but most of the ”signature” sounds on that song are from a different dist setting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I meant distortion 12. Dunno why I said 6. :) Concerning the drum sequencer, I know there was another one that used the same sample set but cannot remember the name.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At first, I was thinking Digi Drum 2, too. They sound like the same resampled fixed pot Linn LM-1 samples.

 

@SenorRossie and I used to create a lot of patterns BITD. And my "little" brother and I used to rap to beats :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC Micro Rhythm and Digi Drum are the same program. Micro Rhythm was distributed by firebird.

 

I recall a dog bark and scratching, but that may be from Digi Drum 2.


@ivop
I may have some of those pattern files on a floppy somewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Probabilitydragon said:

Check out my latest offering!

 

 

The Atari 600XL (with a 1064) was used for many of the sounds here, as well as the visuals. 
 

a quiz - which POKEY distortion setting did I mostly use? 
 

that’s an easy question for you guys I reckon. But can you name the A8 drum sequencer I used in the second verse?

 

I hope I won’t find myself banned for ruthless self promotion 😉 I hope you guys instead appreciate my humble efforts for spreading A8 love here in Finland... where tha ATARI 8 bits were pretty much unknown even back in the day as this was Commodore country then!

 

I'd be very cool if you could share a photo of the Atari 600XL and the 1064 module. I wonder how you made them contribute to the video - a non technical explanation will be very welcome.

 

Regards,

 

- Y -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yautja said:

I wonder how you made them contribute to the video - a non technical explanation will be very welcome.

As far as the audio is concerned, I sampled POKEY sounds and those MicroRhythm samples. For the video - that could have been stuff for another quiz - I used Colourspace to create patterns on a crt and used them as an overlay on the video. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Yautja said:

I'd be very cool if you could share a photo of the Atari 600XL and the 1064 module.

Here you go. My machine could use some retrobrighting, but the 1064 actually still has the plastic foil on the metal strip - and so does my 1050, too for the record!

 

Some keyboard issues resurfaced - the [1] key used work intermittently. It then resurrected and worked perfectly, only to die soon later - doesn’t work any more. [BREAK] doesn’t work either. 
 

 

82E11E77-83F1-4D0D-A323-5B5B05903B0E.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...