IGNORED

Video game sceneries that "feel like home"

Sometimes, when playing a stage of a game for the umpteenth time or seeing someone play it, the scenery gives you some kind of peace, as if it were a real site where you have spent good times.

I feel that on the first level of several great games, areas where there are no enemies and the scenery invites you to explore:

- The initial pier in Sabotour.

- The ship and the forest in the Spanish text adventure Megacorp.

- The college in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

- The planet in ruins in Space Quest IV.

- The hub to select difficulty and episodes in Quake (and the first part of the first level).

Which video game sceneries "feel like home" to you?

Edited by IntelliMission

Literally - the house and surrounding area (garden, shed, yards, etc) in Unravel.  That place looks so much like where I grew up, it's unnerving at time.

Figuratively, which I think is what you mean --

• Majula from Dark Souls 2
  • The title screen from Zelda 2
  • Campsites in Golden Ax
  • Title screen in Dragon Quest VIII --- that music
  • Like 1

On most racing games, I have a 'home track' where I spend well over half my time.

For Gran Turismo, I generally go with Deep Forest, but on my favorite Gran Turismo title, GT4 it was El Capitan all the way.  Sadly that track never returned to the series.  Beautiful place, I could lap it practically forever and never get sick of looking at it. I managed to find an ancient unlisted vid of me just having a blast around it (link).  

Otherwise Virtua racing has 'Big Forest' (which is everybody's 'home track,' I'd wager)

Or SF rush 2049, I stick to Haight about half the time, with weird binges on the Dawn track.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

The Upper Lands four seasons forest in Secret of Mana

Super Mario Bros. 2 - Level 5-2

I don't know why, but it always felt comforting to me. It was a good night level.

Conan: Hall of Volta - the tree level (level 2)

Mota overworld in Phantasy Star II

The water level (3-3) in Bonk's Adventure and Piranha River from Bonk's Revenge

• Like 1

Fun topic!

Quest for Glory III: Wages of War

sierra_076.png.b80bba6bbf2922ef5bc5cfb57f44955e.png

The inn in Tarna.  It's got it all, columns, open air, babes, even a clown over there.  I love the added detail of the distant town you can see through the doors.  Fantastic use of 256 colors here.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate

24476-ultima-vii-the-black-gate-dos-screenshot-iolo-is-the-first.jpg.995e18a6464d5a39a998d1f45c829c86.jpg

Trinsic, where the game starts.  I remember being blown away by the detail of the graphics back in the day, and I still love the approach they used to draw trees in this game.  I used to use Trinsic as my base of operations early in the game, exploring in all directions and returning here to store my loot.  Even though the town is the site of a horrific murder, it always felt like "home" in the game.

Might & Magic Book One

236394-might-and-magic-book-one-secret-of-the-inner-sanctum-apple.png.0211bac7f323600d171dd530f6c64f11.png

The inns are the only place where you can save the game, so dying out in the wilderness or in some dungeon means losing all your progress since the last save.  I can't count the number of times I've limped back to town with half or more of my party members dead and diseased, and felt a wave of relief wash over me when I step into the inn!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

That Bruce Lee-style Conan game for the Apple II/C64 looks pretty neat for 1984. I should give it a try, since it's only 7 levels (screens) long.

Yeah, if you like those types of games, you should check it out. It's easily my favorite Apple II game.

• Like 1

I do not have any examples that particularly "feel like home", but I love games that allow for lots of exploration, especially of urban areas. One of my favourite activities IRL is to visit a community I have not been to before, and just wander about taking pictures of interesting buildings, exploring local shops and restaurants, etc. Obviously a game cannot fully replicate this experience, but I especially love those that come close.  

In Final Fantasy 8, there is a sequence where one can take a bus that drives around a city. There are several (4 or 5) different street scenes that loop until the player choses to disembark. It is much fun to just spend time watching the scenery; again much like when I travel in-person. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ross PK said:

All of Liberty City in GTA III.

First stretch/save location for Vice City as well for me. I'll take the kids on a drive with the top down, show them my hotel room where it all started, the beach, and the spot where I ran over a roller skater with a car for the first time, etc. Memories....

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 11:43 PM, Reaperman said:

On most racing games, I have a 'home track' where I spend well over half my time.

For Gran Turismo, I generally go with Deep Forest, but on my favorite Gran Turismo title, GT4 it was El Capitan all the way.  Sadly that track never returned to the series.  Beautiful place, I could lap it practically forever and never get sick of looking at it. I managed to find an ancient unlisted vid of me just having a blast around it (link).  

Otherwise Virtua racing has 'Big Forest' (which is everybody's 'home track,' I'd wager)

Or SF rush 2049, I stick to Haight about half the time, with weird binges on the Dawn track.

I just played GT4 this week, I am going to go back and play that track.  My god that game looks amazing on a CRT.

• Like 1

I read "feel like home" like "make me feel comfortable" not actually feel like my physical house. Based on that, I would submit

Katamari Damacy (PS2) - Campfire Level

Chulip (PS2) - Overworld

Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Millenial Fair

Earthbound (SNES) - All the cities and towns.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 7:51 PM, BoatofCar said:

Katamari Damacy (PS2) - Campfire Level

That brings some 2005 memories. I watched it in Youtube after 15 years. That game has an amazing sountrack and the song for that level is very relaxing in a psychodelic way.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:51 PM, BoatofCar said:

Chulip (PS2) - Overworld

This game feels like (yet another) PS2 hidden gem. Going around kissing random people sounds fun (let's pretend that's not sexual abuse and it's all in the name of love!).

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1

I've had this feeling in a few games.

The one that comes to mind for me is GTA V. I've played that game through so many times that the entire city feels like home. It almost feels irrational that a game would feel like home, but whenever I restart the game for the umpteenth time, I get a good feeling about it.

World of Warcraft used to be that way for me as well.

• Like 1

There are two that come to mind. Theres an area in Breath of the Wild, I think near Terry Town, thats has a forest of what looks like white birch trees and the leaves are all brown and orange. Very autumn looking. Similarly I had once found a planet like that in No Man’s Sky very early on and it became my home planet. But then after a bunch of updates it was gone. Was really disappointed. I have a thing for autumn scenery  

• Like 2