IGNORED

Video 61

reklen

Anyone can do a better job, easily from home, making cart labels, manuals and packaging, unfortunately. And I've been very bold in the past, declaring my dissatisfaction of his packaging of games he publishes. I have made my own to replace his and they are far superior.

That being said, he is a great guy and I've been a loyal customer since the late '80's or early 90's. He gave me a discounted price on Secretum Labyrinth when I mentioned in our conversation that I would be doing a review for it and it's prequel in Excel Magazine (issue #4, IIRC). My last order from him, around last summer, I purchased several inexpensively priced 3' SIO cables from him which are originals, for $10 each, when everyone else is charging $20+ for them. I also purchased a fantastic Kraft Starmaster controller from him, in the same order for $12 (IIRC) and when the package arrived, he had sent me a second Starmaster for free! He's always very pleasant, and likes to chat. He also has free delivery for orders over $50, IIRC. Great guy, don't hesitate to purchase, even the games he publishes are mostly great games, just poor packaging.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Overall good service, like what he sells, got it to me quick.

My copy of Venture played great.  Just eventually covered the printed label with packaging tape for some lamination.  :P

cartridge labels could be higher quality for sure.  The rest was fine.

I have ordered from Lance and communicated with him via email numerous times over the years.  Like everyone has said, his labels and packaging sometimes leave something to be desired but I like the guy and he does provide excellent customer service.  I am sure that I will order from him again and would recommend Video61, especially their unique homebrew games.  

I bought Tempest Elite and Delta Space Arena. The handling was impeccable, the shipping faster than promised. The double-sided tape used to fix the cart inside the packaging was so strong that it tore the cart shell off on one of the games, but Lance promised to fix this for future shipments. 

Tempest Elite is an impressive feat for the 800, though I wouldn't call it a "must play" if you have it on a Jaguar (or modern PC). 

Delta Space Arena was nice but IIRC suffered a bit from the limited number of angles you can shoot (a bit like asteroids). It's nice that it supports all kinds of controllers including the Indy 500 spinner.

I have Putt 18 Miniature Golf (A Plus).  Helicommander (B-).  Animal Keeper (A).  Just ordered Laserblast X.  I have ordered other things from him in the past.  Cosmic Tunnels on cart (my fav on disk until it crapped out) is a good game.   I realize a lot of what he sells is expensive and available on other formats (ATRs, XEXs, etc), but I love the quickness of ROM carts.  Love the feel of real media.  Just me. 

I forgot one of the best Tempest Elite (A Plus).  I agree, it's not a game that I play ALL the time ( I am old and my reflexes aren't that sharp;never were for that matter).  However, it is excellent.  Lance is a very nice fellow.  He contrasts sharply with the guy from the West Coast.  But, I am thankful for him as well.