IGNORED

UnuCart OS to load ATR files

1 hour ago, 30somethingmanchild said:

I have just bought an UnoCart but can't find the OS to load ATR files anywhere online. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Where did you purchase it? I would think that, assuming you purchased it new, it would have came with the most recent firmware, which should allow it to work with ATRs. What makes you think that it doesn't have the most recent firmware?

I don't own an UnoCart, but it looks like ATR support is only available on XL/XE machines with 64K or more of memory. It further looks like the most recent firmware is v1.2, which was released over four years ago. Unless you purchased yours used from someone, it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't have the most recent firmware.

If you need a copy of the UnoCart manualy, you can download it here:

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart/blob/master/UnoCart_manual.pdf

32 minutes ago, E474 said:

Hi,

I think it's os.rom, copied to the root folder of the micro-sd card you're using: https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart/tree/master/source/Atari/UnoCartOS

The "OS.rom" is precisely what I've been looking for, to put in the root directory, so I can load ATR files. I will try it when I get home later. Thank you very much. ?

Edited by 30somethingmanchild

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

Where did you purchase it? I would think that, assuming you purchased it new, it would have came with the most recent firmware, which should allow it to work with ATRs. What makes you think that it doesn't have the most recent firmware?

I don't own an UnoCart, but it looks like ATR support is only available on XL/XE machines with 64K or more of memory. It further looks like the most recent firmware is v1.2, which was released over four years ago. Unless you purchased yours used from someone, it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't have the most recent firmware.

If you need a copy of the UnoCart manualy, you can download it here:

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart/blob/master/UnoCart_manual.pdf

I have a 130XE and the UnoCart only supports ATR files if you have the "OS.rom" in the root directory. The other poster in this thread has sent me the link. I think that's what I need but won't try til I get home later tonight. Thanks for the response though ?

OK, when you said OS, I thought you were looking for an updated firmware for the UnoCart. The OS.rom is definitely available there as well, along with pretty much anything else that you may need for your UnoCart.

I'm glad you got it figured out.

No worries. Thanks for taking the time to reply ?

4 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi,

I think it's os.rom, copied to the root folder of the micro-sd card you're using: https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart/tree/master/source/Atari/UnoCartOS

Any idea how I get it working please? I have put the os.rom in the root directory of my UnoCart but it still isn't loading ATR files. Am I missing something? 

Hi @30somethingmanchild,

I just checked the UnoCart sources, and actually the Soft OS is compiled in, so you don't need to put the OS.ROM file anywhere (my bad!). Try this attached ATR, I checked it boots OK with my UnoCart.

If you boot with OPTION held down, it will boot into DOS, if you don't hold down OPTION when you boot the ATR, it will load DOS, but put you in BASIC - type DOS at the Basic READY prompt, and you will load the standard DOS menu.

Sorry about this! You can actually load a custom Soft OS by putting a file called UNO_OS.ROM in the root folder, but you should be good to go just using the one built into the firmware. If you're having problems with a specific ATR, it's most likely a program that uses its own loader (so bypassing the routines in the custom OS), or a program that also uses the RAM under the normal OS, so trashing the custom OS.  

If you get the UnoCart menu up, but can't select files to load, it might be a problem with your memory card. 

Hope this helps, and apologies for the bad advice earlier.

Dos25.atr

11 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi @30somethingmanchild,

I just checked the UnoCart sources, and actually the Soft OS is compiled in, so you don't need to put the OS.ROM file anywhere (my bad!). Try this attached ATR, I checked it boots OK with my UnoCart.

If you boot with OPTION held down, it will boot into DOS, if you don't hold down OPTION when you boot the ATR, it will load DOS, but put you in BASIC - type DOS at the Basic READY prompt, and you will load the standard DOS menu.

Sorry about this! You can actually load a custom Soft OS by putting a file called UNO_OS.ROM in the root folder, but you should be good to go just using the one built into the firmware. If you're having problems with a specific ATR, it's most likely a program that uses its own loader (so bypassing the routines in the custom OS), or a program that also uses the RAM under the normal OS, so trashing the custom OS.  

If you get the UnoCart menu up, but can't select files to load, it might be a problem with your memory card. 

Hope this helps, and apologies for the bad advice earlier.

Dos25.atr 90.02 kB · 2 downloads

That all works now. I think had ATR files that wouldn't load. Tried that and a few others and seems to be working now. It would seem that not all ATR files, that I'm finding, load. Some just seem to crash.

Thanks for your help ?

1 hour ago, 30somethingmanchild said:

That all works now. I think had ATR files that wouldn't load. Tried that and a few others and seems to be working now. It would seem that not all ATR files, that I'm finding, load. Some just seem to crash.

Thanks for your help ?

This is a quote from the manual that I linked to earlier:

Hold down OPTION when you select the ATR file to disable BASIC. This is necessary for many games. MyPicoDOS ATRs (such as the 16 meg game compilations) will run, but SELECT should be pressed to disable high-speed SIO, and use the operating system SIO routines instead.

Important note – many ATRs will run correctly from the UnoCart. However, any programs that attempt to use the RAM under OS will not work, nor will any software that does not use the standard OS SIO calls.

So, it could be that the ATRs you're trying to load are some of those that attempt to use RAM under OS or make non-standard OS SIO calls and are not compatible with the UnoCart. Likewise, it could be that the ATRs you're attempting to use are just bad images.

This is a quote from the manual that I linked to earlier:

Hold down OPTION when you select the ATR file to disable BASIC. This is necessary for many games. MyPicoDOS ATRs (such as the 16 meg game compilations) will run, but SELECT should be pressed to disable high-speed SIO, and use the operating system SIO routines instead.

Important note – many ATRs will run correctly from the UnoCart. However, any programs that attempt to use the RAM under OS will not work, nor will any software that does not use the standard OS SIO calls.

So, it could be that the ATRs you're trying to load are some of those that attempt to use RAM under OS or make non-standard OS SIO calls and are not compatible with the UnoCart. Likewise, it could be that the ATRs you're attempting to use are just bad images.

Thanks again. Very helpful indeed. Much appreciated ?

Edited by 30somethingmanchild

35 minutes ago, 30somethingmanchild said:

Thanks again. Very helpful indeed. Much appreciated ?

It sounds like you may be very much like myself, and tend to ignore documentation. In this instance though, it seems like there is a lot of useful information in the UnoCart manual, that could've helped you with your issues. You really may want to download and peruse a copy, just for your own peace of mind and sanity.

15 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

It sounds like you may be very much like myself, and tend to ignore documentation. In this instance though, it seems like there is a lot of useful information in the UnoCart manual, that could've helped you with your issues. You really may want to download and peruse a copy, just for your own peace of mind and sanity.

Hi.  I did have a look at it since you sent the link. I just like things that plug and play. Can never be bothered with too much faffing around. ? Other than those few issues, the UnoCart works great. Thanks for taking the time and trouble of responding ?

5 hours ago, 30somethingmanchild said:

Thanks for your help ?

OK, glad you could get it working. Thought you (or anyone else) might appreciate a known good ATR.

Yeah, with the AVG Cart and the SIDE3 being the top two multi-carts, and the FujiNet and the SDrive-Max being the best drive emulator/replacements at the moment, we don't see a whole lot requests for many of the other devices. I can't recall the last time I saw a request for help for the UnoCart. Hopefully, your troubles and our attempts at assistance, will help someone else in the future.