IGNORED

Atari Hotels: roach motels or the bomb-diggity? YOU decide!

x=usr(1536)

I've done some sleuthing, and while I haven't found anything tangible (blueprints, business plans etc) I did manage to find a render. 

Full disclosure: I am not related to Atari, Hotels, and/or AtariHotels, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Renders are subject to change without notice, rhyme, or reason. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of these statements. 

s_ToweringInferno_1.png

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Investment capital can't make up for incompetence.  It can certainly magnify it, though.

It looks to me as if they have experience and significant partners, not incompetence but
perhaps somebody needs to contact the team and suggest they come here for advice...?
https://gsdgroupllc.com/#our-team

I'm quite sure I'm never going to be at an Atari hotel location to find out, but I like the
look of what I see. I can imagine if I had a choice, I'd definitely choose an "experience".

5 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Microsoft doesn´t have ideas. And we should be glad they didn´t make hotels, because they would suck.

What was that you said before about being a hater and beating people down who are trying to make things? ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

This is a win, for somebody, no matter how it all goes.

Atari will win short term for sure as the licensing deal will include a time period. Shortening the time period will no doubt incur fees that the licensee will not want to pay. However, if done right and the whole Atari image is reimagined from an old vintage platform to something new and exciting then the franchise will grow.

Once travel recovers, the hotel operator will collect money from people staying. Even if you're not an Atari fan, chances are you may just need a place to stay and that's all that's available.

Even if the franchise goes bust and the operator goes bankrupt there's still a physical building that can be sold to Hilton, Hyatt, Marriot, etc. 

It's a win all around but nobody knows who will win by how much. :) 

If only people who wanted to play video games in hotels already had a means to do that.  Maybe a small one they could carry in their backpack.  Or even pocket.  Then whatever hotel they stayed at could magically become a "Gaming Hotel".

While I'm dreaming, imagine if there were a way to add any games you wanted to such a device, so you wouldn't be limited to the games of whoever the hotel signed a contract with. 

Just Crazy talk, I know

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

It looks to me as if they have experience and significant partners, not incompetence but
perhaps somebody needs to contact the team and suggest they come here for advice...?

You should invest in them.  Based on your observations, they sound like a solid bet for tripling your investment in only a few short years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

You should invest in them.  Based on your observations, they sound like a solid bet for tripling your investment in only a few short years.

33 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

They just need a Steve Jobs, that's all.

Now now, we can't let EVERYONE be trillionaires.

• Haha 3

This Thing, the Atari Hotel is never gonna see the light of day.  Aerosmith "Dream On..."  I love Atari, All things Atari, but be real.  For reals.  Who/whom ever came up with this (albeit, Pre-Covid) was a dreamer.  I love dreamers, but fact is this is not gonna take flight.  Debbie Downer, I know.  Atari is an icon, fer sure dude, but people don't plan vacations around that brand.  There are some 'nerds' that would.  If I were divorced/single I'd think about it (if the price for a night's stay was competitive with other hotels).  Enough time has passed that most people will NOT have an emotional attachment to Atari to stay at their branded hotel.  What about an Apple or Commodore Hotel.  Hell, they sold WAY more product than Atari ever did.  Get real peeps.  Don't ban me for my opinion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If it were OLD ATARI (I don't care...Warner, Tramiel  era,  Just not F-ing Chesnais),  I'd like the idea of an Atari themed hotel.  If it were OLD COLECO, I'd like the idea of a ColecoVision themed hotel.  And if it were still the 80's I would have liked either of those...Probably would have begged my parents to go there instead of the Best Western or Holiday Inn ...

Now, even as an adult;  If it were the Atari of old (the one with a passion for video games, and access to consoles and arcade games) and they had this hotel and, let's say, for the sake of argument it was only $10 (or maaaybe $20) more than an ordinary room elsewhere,  I might want to check it out...Probably would, in fact.

But I have seriously No Love for this version of the brand.   And I don't just mean that they're a zombie brand licensing the name into oblivion...  Given their blatant dishonesty and theft;  Hell,  just reading in the taco thread about what they did to Curt Vendel (R.I.P.) before his death makes my blood boil!  I'd likely not stay there, even if I were paid...

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

If it were OLD ATARI (I don't care...Warner, Tramiel  era,  Just not F-ing Chesnais),  I'd like the idea of an Atari themed hotel.  If it were OLD COLECO, I'd like the idea of a ColecoVision themed hotel.  And if it were still the 80's I would have liked either of those...Probably would have begged my parents to go there instead of the Best Western or Holiday Inn ...

Now, even as an adult;  If it were the Atari of old (the one with a passion for video games, and access to consoles and arcade games) and they had this hotel and, let's say, for the sake of argument it was only $10 (or maaaybe $20) more than an ordinary room elsewhere,  I might want to check it out...Probably would, in fact.

But I have seriously No Love for this version of the brand.   And I don't just mean that they're a zombie brand licensing the name into oblivion...  Given their blatant dishonesty and theft;  Hell,  just reading in the taco thread about what they did to Curt Vendel (R.I.P.) before his death makes my blood boil!  I'd likely not stay there, even if I were paid...

Same.  For me (someone who actually is part of the demographic they're targeting) l'Atari stuff is no longer an "is it worth it to me?" Proposition.  Now I legit DO NOT want to take any actions that will send money in their direction.  Even though the Atari collections are a pittance on the Nintendo eShop, I'll settle for old PlayStation discs.  I don't need Atari stickers or shirts, because I don't want someone mistaking me for a person who'll follow three Frenchmen into the poorhouse.  

Atari as it is now is blacklisted for me.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Does anyone else remember or know anything about purported hotels or something similar that either Warner or someone Atari related tried to do?

I swear I remember they pitched this at some point in the past!

Are you perhaps thinking of the Atari Adventure Centers?  There are a couple of other sets of photos here and here.

They seemed to be more like on-site arcades mixed with a computer showroom you could buy stuff in as opposed to actual lodging and/or attractions beyond what they were.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

Warner Atari made a version of the 5200 to put into hotel rooms. Like most things 5200 it bombed though.

More recently I can remember seeing a few hotel rooms a couple of decades back with PlaysStations set up in them. They only offered a tiny selection of games though. I never used them and I doubt many others did either, as nobody seemed to want to repeat the experiment when the PS2 came out.

These things always sound better in theory than they are in practice. As said above, you're better off just taking a handheld or a laptop with you.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, godslabrat said:

If only people who wanted to play video games in hotels already had a means to do that.  Maybe a small one they could carry in their backpack.  Or even pocket.  Then whatever hotel they stayed at could magically become a "Gaming Hotel".

While I'm dreaming, imagine if there were a way to add any games you wanted to such a device, so you wouldn't be limited to the games of whoever the hotel signed a contract with. 

Just Crazy talk, I know

madness!  i'd 'Switch' in an instant!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Running 10GB ethernet and use streaming games, would be the thing to do these days anyway.  Why consoles at all, overhead due to maintanance, theft, damage and cleaning disinfecting (imagine what wank fingers were on it before)? ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Running 10GB ethernet and use streaming games, would be the thing to do these days anyway.  Why consoles at all, overhead due to maintanance, theft, damage and cleaning disinfecting (imagine what wank fingers were on it before)? ???

This is where the kids wanted to stay at the Atari Hotel, but mom & dad decided that the Stadia Suites was a safer bet.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
Alliteration.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1