Jump to content
x=usr(1536)

Atari Hotels: roach motels or the bomb-diggity? YOU decide!

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I am guessing it will be mostly conventional video games, with maybe a few rides or something for the smallest kids. It would be strange to use the Atari brand if they planned to mostly offer the other stuff.

I'm sure it depends on what exactly Atari's plans are and what they have access to. It's not like they have warehouses full of Centipede cabs or the means to build their own machines. If the plan is to have an on-site arcade, the Dave and Buster crap may be easier to get ahold of since it's currently in production, vs. tracking down vintage machines. If it's in-room, they could integrate a VCS into the entertainment system and load it up with Atari classics. Better yet, they could get some custom multicade cabinets made with Atari games and put one in each room, but I doubt they'd go that far.

 

It's been a while since I payed any attention to the hotel scheme. Have they announced any actual plans, or is it still in the "Here's a vague idea for something with the Atari logo on it. Let's watch the middle-aged nerds pee themselves with excitement" phase of the Atari marketing plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

It's been a while since I payed any attention to the hotel scheme. Have they announced any actual plans, or is it still in the "Here's a vague idea for something with the Atari logo on it. Let's watch the middle-aged nerds pee themselves with excitement" phase of the Atari marketing plan?

It hasn't advanced past the rendering phase yet.  Maybe they need another Kickstarter campaign to build a community for the hotels.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stephen said:

It hasn't advanced past the rendering phase yet.

 

winning.gif

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But they'll never have Clownvis.

 

It is a performance that needs to be experienced, preferably after drinking a lot.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TACODON said:

I thought Atari already owned a Motel?

 

Screenshot_20210419-212627_Facebook.jpg

Wow, they even used an unaltered Chesnais as their mascot. A bold move!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An Atari hotel in '81 would have made decent profits for a few years.  By the late 80s it would be abandoned or the theme changed to something else.  To attempt this 35 years later is just bizarre.

On average I pay about $150 a night when staying at a hotel.  For the hell of it, I'd be willing to pay maybe an extra $100 a night for an Atari themed hotel, but I'm sure I'm in the minority even among Atari fans.

 

A theme hotel could work but it would need to be something many people can relate to and be in the perfect location.

All my Ned Flanders type friends have taken their families on a pilgrimage to see the life size Noah's Ark in Kentucky.  For some reason I was googling the dimensions of the ark and then comparing it to modern cruise ships.  Somewhere down the rabbit hole I found it was almost identical to the Love Boat.  ❤️ 🚢  :lol:

I then found out the Love Boat (Pacific Princess) had recently been removed from service and sold or auctioned off for some ridiculous low amount of money to a ship breaker for scrap.

I think that would have been the perfect bones for a theme hotel.  Get some prime real estate in Las Vegas and have it broken down and delivered there.  Reassemble and restore it exactly as it was back in the day, including all period correct decor taken from old footage and photos.  Everything for a perfect hotel is already there...restaurants, bars, entertainment, pool, etc.

It would have cost an insane amount of money, but I bet they could charge whatever they want a night for a room and the place would be booked solid a year in advance.

 

Edited by Turbo-Torch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I'm sure it depends on what exactly Atari's plans are and what they have access to. It's not like they have warehouses full of Centipede cabs or the means to build their own machines. If the plan is to have an on-site arcade, the Dave and Buster crap may be easier to get ahold of since it's currently in production, vs. tracking down vintage machines.

They could have MAME cabinets, and fill each of them with games they can get the rights to. They could even be cheeky, and load them up with every game under the sun without permission. It wouldn´t make a dent into the profits of the IP holders, so they may not bother objecting. And if they do object, they could just remove the games from the objecting IP holder.

 

As for fancy cabinets (like the ones with a seat, steering wheel and gas pedal), it would probably be best to buy old ones. They don´t need that many of them (unless this becomes a huge franchise), so they should be able to get hold of them even if they are rare. Although, there may be companies making such cabinets, and all you have to do is put relevant games in them.

 

I would also guess that there would be consoles and/or gaming computers in the gaming playground as well. One or more Wiis would be nice, for those who are such inclined.

14 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

If it's in-room, they could integrate a VCS into the entertainment system and load it up with Atari classics. Better yet, they could get some custom multicade cabinets made with Atari games and put one in each room, but I doubt they'd go that far.

Alternatively, they could have one or more of the three major consoles with a wide variety of games, including the Atari classics. Having a VCS filled with ROMs could be plan B.

 

I agree that a cabinet in each room may be going too far, but if it had a wide variety of games, not just Atari games, it could be worth the space used. 

Edited by Lord Mushroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

On average I pay about $150 a night when staying at a hotel.  For the hell of it, I'd be willing to pay maybe an extra $100 a night for an Atari themed hotel, but I'm sure I'm in the minority even among Atari fans.

$100 extra a night is more than I'd be willing to pay, but if there was an Atari hotel in a city I was going to visit anyway and the price was within maybe $50 of what I'd normally pay, I'd consider staying there.

 

But I could absolutely see my brother-in-law planning a trip around an Atari-themed hotel. He's pretty much exactly what they're looking for:

• Gen-X

• Kids grown

• Disposable income

• Loves old video games, but

• Isn't currently into retrogaming, or video games at all for that matter, so visiting an Atari-themed hotel would be more of a treat for him than for many of us, who play old games regularly and despise what modern day Atari has become.

 

I think that if the goal is to create a quality hotel with the unique wrinkle of video game integration that helps separate them from the Hiltons and Holiday Inns, they have a chance of success. If the goal is to create a glitzy destination that people will plan entire vacations around they're going to fail because there aren't enough people who are going to do that.

 

It's too bad Hyatt just built a huge hotel across the street from the Oregon Convention Center. An Atari hotel there would be the first choice for a lot of people in town for PRGE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A major premise of the Atari VCS - the real one - was to have the arcade experience at home. Now we have to go to a hotel for that?

 

 

Is it just me? I can't imagine any scenario where visiting an Atari Hotel would be fun.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

They could have MAME cabinets, and fill each of them with games they can get the rights to. They could even be cheeky, and load them up with every game under the sun without permission.

They don't need to be cheeky. There are plenty of multicade machines on the market that come pre-loaded with licensed games. Buy a few of those, some of the Raw Thrills games, one of those giant Pac-Man games, a couple of pinball machines, boom, Atari hotel arcade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Atari Hotel might be a nice venue to hold video game tournaments.

They say: " Select hotels will also feature state-of-the-art venues and studios to accommodate esports events."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say... I like the website and the artwork made for it. A lot of red tho.

 

Home - Atari Hotels

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

 

also, I dont see them putting mame machines in every room. What would be something is if you could somehow order games to your room's tv like they did back in the day with nintendo games and porn movies.

BcMR2yOrpt55tTBjgyVP6VhDiGHG8w-OQ7GucPqxNO0.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

They don't need to be cheeky. There are plenty of multicade machines on the market that come pre-loaded with licensed games. Buy a few of those, some of the Raw Thrills games, one of those giant Pac-Man games, a couple of pinball machines, boom, Atari hotel arcade.

that sounds like every other game room on the current Las Vegsa Strip, tho. I feel like that would work anywhere else but the Vegas location.


P.S. please dont forget air hockey. :) 

Edited by Draxxon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would only go to an Atari hotel if they have an endless taco bar.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

They don't need to be cheeky. There are plenty of multicade machines on the market that come pre-loaded with licensed games. 

Those are only licensed for home use only, though. There is a thread on reddit about it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arcade/comments/loz3iz/officially_licensedlegal_multicades_for_business/

 

There was a cabinet which claimed to be legal for commercial use (Ultracade), but they got into serious legal problems. So using MAME cabinets with illegal ROMSs is also out of the question.

 

They could probably buy old multi-game cabinets (like Neo Geo MVS), which originally was sold for commercial use, if they can´t get deals that let them put lots of games in each cabinet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I would only go to an Atari hotel if they have an endless taco bar.

I'd stay at an Atari hotel if the room was equipped with main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'd stay at an Atari hotel if the room was equipped with main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

 

Do you really need bottled water?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

What would be something is if you could somehow order games to your room's tv like they did back in the day with nintendo games and porn movies.

That would be nice. It would be best if you paid per time unit (different prices for different games), so you could play lots of different games, instead of just a few in order to save money. 

 

There should also be some free games available for cheap people (open-source, freeware and free-to-play). The Atari games should also be free.

 

Services like Playstation Now could also be available on a per time unit basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Do you really need bottled water?

Yeah - how can I trust the hotel water is not from the bathtub or swimming pool?

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...