IGNORED

Help requested - Adam Super Games glitching via ADE

timepilot

Hi Folks,

I am using my new ADE with my Adam computer, and it seems to mostly work great.  However, I am consistently running into problems with two Super Games, Super Buck Rogers and Super Zaxxon.

Super Buck Rogers consistently freezes (no matter which DDP or DSK image I use, including the most recent images in the Uploads directory of adamarchive.org) after about the third or fourth barrier in the second trench stage (the stage that is a redux of Stage 1, but that has the dividers that open either on the left, right, or center); the system just freezes up.  Happens every single time I play the game.

Super Zaxxon works great but has no sound at all.  No sound after selecting the difficulty level, no sound while playing, no sound while pausing, no sound at all.

In addition to trying a bunch of different DDP and DSK images, I have also tried using each of the DDP and DSK images in question with AdamEm, and they all work fine via AdamEm.  I have also tried using Team Pixelboy's cartridges of each title, and they work fine.  (That said, I really want to be able to play via the ADE, so that I can save high scores as I used to save high scores on the DDP in the 1980s!)

Can anyone help me with this?  I am not on the Facebook group because I do not have a Facebook account, so this is the only place to which I can turn for help with this.  Thank you very much for any insight that you can offer.

Seeing as the disk images you are using work fine via ADAMem, I would try placing them on another SD Card and then test to see what the results are. No one else has reported this issue, but then again maybe they haven't played far enough into Super Buck Rogers to see. As far as the no sound in Super Zaxxon, that is a really odd one and makes absolutely no sense. I have play tested Super Zaxxon a number of times on my ADE Pro, ADE Lite, SD DDP and Internal ADE Pro and have never experienced no sound.

2 hours ago, NIAD said:

Seeing as the disk images you are using work fine via ADAMem, I would try placing them on another SD Card and then test to see what the results are. No one else has reported this issue, but then again maybe they haven't played far enough into Super Buck Rogers to see. As far as the no sound in Super Zaxxon, that is a really odd one and makes absolutely no sense. I have play tested Super Zaxxon a number of times on my ADE Pro, ADE Lite, SD DDP and Internal ADE Pro and have never experienced no sound.

Thank you.  I have an update:  I had left my old MicroFox IDE drive in slot 1 and the associated IDE boot card in slot 2.  Removing the IDE boot card from slot 2 resolved the issues with both Super Buck Rogers and Super Zaxxon.  I have no idea why the IDE boot card produces that conflict.

In watching a video that user "rietveld" posted, however, I noticed that his boot of Super Zaxxon from an ADE (at 1:07 on the video timer) appears to be silent as well, notwithstanding that the other software has sound intact.  I wonder whether he is also using an IDE boot card in slot 2:

Looks like the BOOT ROM for the MicroFox CF IDE card is the problem.  

I am using the BOOT ROM in my MIB238 card in slot 2.  This auto boots the IDE hard drive every time I turn my ADAM on.

I did not have sound with Super Zaxxon and Dragon's Lair would HANG on the opening screen of music.

I just removed the BOOT ROM from my slot 2 card(but left the MIB in place) and everything is now working.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, timepilot said:

Thank you.  I have an update:  I had left my old MicroFox IDE drive in slot 1 and the associated IDE boot card in slot 2.  Removing the IDE boot card from slot 2 resolved the issues with both Super Buck Rogers and Super Zaxxon.  I have no idea why the IDE boot card produces that conflict.

In watching a video that user "rietveld" posted, however, I noticed that his boot of Super Zaxxon from an ADE (at 1:07 on the video timer) appears to be silent as well, notwithstanding that the other software has sound intact.  I wonder whether he is also using an IDE boot card in slot 2:

Yes, that is the "problem"  When ADAM boots, the eprom looks to see if disk drive 1, drive 2, data pack 1, or data pack 2 is in use.  If not, then it boots the rom to activate the ide device.   This harkens back to when the ide card was first implemented back in the 1990's.  I am not sure just what is the problem, but it may have to do with booting programs after ddd 2 is locked into position by the ide card.  We have observed the same problems with all ide cards available, some may or may not hamper operations of other software.  When the ide card and other newer hardware were invented, they "stole" what was thought of as unused memory addresses and such, but now we find that they were not unused after all; thereby causing conflicts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rietveld said:

This glitch is not a deal breaker for me.  I have the IDE BOOT disk on the root of my ADE so its just "ONE CLICK" to boot into it.  

I will have to do the same thing. Is the IDE Boot disk available online? I had only been using the card with the boot ROM. Also, is there a DDP version of the IDE Boot software available for download? When I first received the IDE drive, I used a physical DDP, and I am thinking that it could be handy to have a DDP version of the IDE Boot in order to be able to re-create a DDP if ever necessary in the future.

23 minutes ago, timepilot said:

I will have to do the same thing. Is the IDE Boot disk available online? I had only been using the card with the boot ROM. Also, is there a DDP version of the IDE Boot software available for download? When I first received the IDE drive, I used a physical DDP, and I am thinking that it could be handy to have a DDP version of the IDE Boot in order to be able to re-create a DDP if ever necessary in the future.

I can post a copy here when i get home later unless someone beat me to it.

alternately you can just mount a .dsk (blank or one you don t  mind writing over) then boot the IDE drive with the ROM . At the opening menu select option V to make a boot disk.   It will write to whatever disk is in DRIVE0 of the ADE and make that the  BOOT disk.   Just pop out the SD card and rename it 

2 minutes ago, rietveld said:

I can post a copy here when i get home later unless someone beat me to it.

alternately you can just mount a .dsk (blank or one you don t  mind writing over) then boot the IDE drive with the ROM . At the opening menu select option V to make a boot disk.   It will write to whatever disk is in DRIVE0 of the ADE and make that the  BOOT disk.   Just pop out the SD card and rename it 

Thank you very much; greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, timepilot said:

ADAM IDE Hard Disk.dsk

15 hours ago, rietveld said:

Looks like the BOOT ROM for the MicroFox CF IDE card is the problem.  

I am using the BOOT ROM in my MIB238 card in slot 2.  This auto boots the IDE hard drive every time I turn my ADAM on.

I did not have sound with Super Zaxxon and Dragon's Lair would HANG on the opening screen of music.

I just removed the BOOT ROM from my slot 2 card(but left the MIB in place) and everything is now working.

Thank you for confirming this issue.

This is wild, but I just pulled out my Adam today for full-time use as a ColecoVision. It needed a tweak to the audio-out. It is fully upgraded with the F18a and all the MicroFox cards. 

I was testing a retail copy of Donkey Kong Super Game, which loaded fine, but I noticed major lags in the gameplay during DDP load times. I did a search, and stumbled upon this thread, which only started yesterday! 

Anyway, as soon as I pulled the IDE card and drives, DDP load times are now normal.