IGNORED

What Game Boy Color games are worth playing?

jgkspsx

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The real goal of Hexcite is to screw over your opponent as mercilessly as possible whenever possible and stick them with as many unplayable pieces with as many sides as possible. Unless you get a bad hand, in which case you try to play nice as long as possible and lose by as narrow a margin as possible.

I believe you almost described an ordinary relationship between men and women.  ? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

First two you're talking about Konami GB Collection Vol1 and 4 for GBC-UK right?

I don´t have them myself, but that´s what the internet is telling me. Wikipedia can´t agree with itself whether the second one is on the 3rd or 4th volume, but in a You Tube video of the 4th volume, it is there.

7 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Bugs Bunny: Crazy Castle 3 

It’s funny, I recently learned that this was originally made as a Kid Klown game, and then colorized and turned into a Looney Tunes game:

I got my copy of the first Crazy Castle game by digging it out of the dirt in the alley behind my grandma’s house. This was in 2004 or so. I am not sure how many years it was buried, but the label is surprisingly intact, and it works fine.

EDIT: lest y’all think I was fibbing. (It’s actually Crazy Castle 2, oops!)

3871E6D7-C9B0-41BD-8927-7FA619C5ECF8.thumb.jpeg.192aeec3a5537f2350d5048e50d02978.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t have them myself, but that´s what the internet is telling me. Wikipedia can´t agree with itself whether the second one is on the 3rd or 4th volume, but in a You Tube video of the 4th volume, it is there.

The wiki is correct and not, they smashed the SuperGB JP release together with the GBC UK-EU release into one article.  I have no idea why KOE decided to get stupid and re-number the releases on most of them, but that's why it's confusing.  Here's the official EU-UK english translated layout of titles from my personal list of games I own.

- Konami GB Collection Vol. 1 (EU)
  -- Gradius, Castlevania Adventure, Konami Racing, Probotector

- Konami GB Collection Vol. 2 (EU)
  -- Parodius, Quarth, Track & Field, Frogger
- Konami GB Collection Vol. 3
(EU)
  -- Pop'n TwinBee, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Motocross Maniacs, Guttang Gottong
- Konami GB Collection Vol. 4 (EU)
  -- Gradius II, Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Antarctic Adventure

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Man, I would love those. Shame that there are only repros of 3 and 4 on eBay.

Strange 3 isn't that expensive or hard to get, the mystery is #4.  They came out the same time, 1 and 2 came out a few months(a bit) earlier and they're even cheaper.  #4 though goes for like a couple hundred when it shows and the label isn't rubbed off which is disgusting, but it's a color tax and full pricing of the original games on their upper end slapped onto it.  I felt annoyed but lucky not paying over $100 for it. :(  It was the first I had seen probably in 4 months maybe more when it did show up.

I know it is not ideal, but for a few years now there have been these red, yellow, green and blue multicarts for GBC out there, usually in the $10-20 range each.  They have some of the most high quality+expensive releases on each.  One of them happens to have KGB UK1-4 on it, don't recall the number, but while not original, it is the cheapest and most reliable(since it's solid new chips/boards) way to play them currently without being ripped off hard.

• Like 1

I'm not too picky. I have a pile of repros of the most expensive games for the GB/C - Daikatana, ZAS, Trip World, Amazing Tater, etc - as well as translations like The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls and (more) colorized versions like Metroid DX. Thankfully my era of buying everything of possible future interest began with the GBA so I have most of the notable games from then on.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a stock SP with some image tuning on my phone to make it look better than it really does :)

I am interested in other racing games. I have some car combat games and Top Gear Rally 1. I am waiting on a copy of Road Rash. Is there anything else worth getting? I’d love an isometric racer.

I know I probably fouled the weird spelling of it, but Karnaj Racing that would fit the style and view angle.

If you don't mind actual 3D(displays just like a Saturn game) there's V-Rally 3 which basically looks/handles a lot like Sega Rally.  Not battling, but a good racer, both suggestions are GBA titles.  Expensive badly so but there's Car Battler Joe on GBA, f-zero style combat racing game between map points, which then is more like a JRPG style game with conversion, jobs to do, story to move along, leveling/gear applies to the car.

• Like 1

Well, I meant specifically GBC. My favorite GBA racer bar none is Racing Gears Advance, which might be my all time favorite isometric racer.

I got Car Battler Joe complete back when for $15, completed it 100%, and then sold it for $80. I was very proud of myself.

CBJ I've had twice, wish I had kept it the second time, but it was a downward spiral point and like you I found it cheap, sold it for nearly 100 too...I regret it now as I'd like to have it back in my rack but I won't pay that.

GBC though, V-Rally still applies, it got co-released on both formats and the GBC one is pretty impressive I think its' under V-Rally 99 to be exact.  Another hot gem of a release, Wacky Races, plays very well and it's beautiful, neither though are isometric but 3rd person behind the car style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

CBJ I've had twice, wish I had kept it the second time, but it was a downward spiral point and like you I found it cheap, sold it for nearly 100 too...I regret it now as I'd like to have it back in my rack but I won't pay that.

GBC though, V-Rally still applies, it got co-released on both formats and the GBC one is pretty impressive I think its' under V-Rally 99 to be exact.  Another hot gem of a release, Wacky Races, plays very well and it's beautiful, neither though are isometric but 3rd person behind the car style.

Racing Gears Advance is good stuff.  As far as GBC, I will have to check out V-Rally and Wacky Races for sure. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 11:50 AM, Pixelboy said:

Or maybe it's the reduced screen size that makes that little voice at the back of your head say "I should be playing this on a bigger screen, on my NES"? I know that's the general feeling I get from playing most GBC games. You can let the reduced screen size slide with the original GB because of the black-&-white graphics and motion blur, which makes the unit very distinct from the NES, but the GBC feels like an NES with a screen that's way too small for its own good.

Yeah, but at the time the GBC was like a way to play NES and classoc arcade ports on the go w/o having to get a handheld famiclone.  In fact I bought it for games like Super Mario Bros. DX, Ms. Pac-Man and even (surprisingly) Cannon Fodder which I enjoyed playing on a computer.  I even started colllecting regular GB that were also ports, which I vowed to never do in my teenage years... :D

Plus upgrading to a GBA was a no brainer since it plays the same games but now also had SNES ports like Zelda: Link To The Past.

I do agree there was still way too much licenced crap made for little kids who just dragged their Game Boys around without actually playing them.  Thankfully I do not need to have a complete set because I don't have that "Gotta Catch Them All" mentality.

• Like 1

@MrMaddogSuch good points!

And damn fine suggestion there with Cannon Fodder.  I sought that one out specifically the day it came out like 20 years ago as I recalled enjoying the older DOS port of the game a few years earlier.  The game does not disappoint, and that crazy long(ish) FMV with singing 'war is so much fun' on the opening was a jaw dropper the first time that popped up.  For me the GBC was a natural extension of the GB, basically the pinnacle of the hardware where it was a mix of years of learned tricks, tactics, and smart choices squeezed from its slower older brother could be done yet in color, and yet beyond when using the full hardware (GBC only titles) that took things towards the NES and then some level given the limitations.  GBC may have had a lot of crap games in its shorter life on the back end of the GB 8bit existence, but disappoint it does definitely not.

Due to some local stunning luck I actually have 3 more GBC games added to the family since I last made that list early in this thread, two I used to own, but one is new... Wario Land 3, the other the dual Zelda Oracle releases.  I can strongly recommend them, and right now I'm both confused and amused by Wario Land 3.  Clearly it's a platformer, lacks death, but that's because abuse gets you further as it's like sort of a puzzle wrapped in an action game.  I think I like it, a lot, but I need more time.  The Zelda's, not my favorite, but I'd be a tool still not to recommend them as Capcom/Flagship did a really solid job trying to capture the Zelda feel that Link's Awakening gave on the same system before them.

• Like 2