IGNORED

What Game Boy Color games are worth playing?

jgkspsx

• 2 weeks later...

And now I just got Road Rash for the Gameboy Color. It’s a port of Road Rash II. It’s not quite as impressive or as fun as the Game Gear port of the first game that came out FIVE YEARS earlier, but it’s pretty fun and I like Road Rash II better than the first one. It’s really cheap, too. I  hear it has game breaking bugs, and past the title screen the music is pretty intolerable, but you can turn it off. For the price, I’m really happy with it.

• Like 1

The main first party Nintendo port I would not recommend is Donkey Kong Country. It doesn't control as well as the Donkey Kong Land series and can be frustrating even if you're an expert at the SNES game. If you want the game on a Game Boy System it is better to just get the Game Boy Advance version. Still, the game served its purpose for 3 years until the Game Boy Advance version existed. It was necessary back then as the first Donkey Kong Land was the most different from its SNES Country counterpart. 2 was very similar. 3 had different levels but used all the same level tropes and bosses. 1 on the other hand had no other Kongs to help and some new level tropes unique to the game.

Edited by TheGameCollector

It doesn't just control terribly, it also doesn't re-scale the stage designs to fit a lower resolution square vs the bigger resolution wider area of a normal TV too... way way too many cheap leap of faith deaths into moving objects(bees etc), pits, and other one shot kill stuff.  Bad design all around.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:04 PM, jgkspsx said:

And now I just got Road Rash for the Gameboy Color. It’s a port of Road Rash II. It’s not quite as impressive or as fun as the Game Gear port of the first game that came out FIVE YEARS earlier, but it’s pretty fun and I like Road Rash II better than the first one. It’s really cheap, too. I  hear it has game breaking bugs, and past the title screen the music is pretty intolerable, but you can turn it off. For the price, I’m really happy with it.

Never checked out RR2 back on the Genesis or on the GG.  Will have to give one of these versions a go sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

Are there any good arcade style shooters on GBC? Quote this so I get notified of a response...thanks

- Asteroids

- Galaga - Destination Earth

- Gradius II (in Konami GB Collection - Vol. 4)

- Nemesis (in Konami GB Collection - Vol. 1)

- Parodius (in Konami GB Collection - Vol. 2)

- Pop'n Twinbee (in Konami GB Collection - Vol. 3)

- Project S-11

- R-Type DX

- Space Marauder

- SWIV

- Yars' Revenge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a couple worthwhile isometric racing games! I knew there would be good games amidst the licensed shovelware.

Woody Woodpecker Racing is a zoomed out kart battle racer developed by Konami themselves. It feels a little slow due to how zoomed out it is, but that makes it a little easier than the Game Gear isometric games I’ve been playing lately. The controls are tight and the graphics are nice. The lack of any engine noise is a bummer, but otherwise it’s pretty great. And it’s dirt cheap. 

Another dirt cheap licensed game with a surprising pedigree is Mickey Racing Adventure. It’s by kings of isometric RC racing Rare. There is a reason the word “Adventure” takes precedence in the title - there is a lot of wandering around, minigames, etc. For those with little love for the mouse like me, it is a bit patience-testing. It’s also very zoomed in, and the other racers are totally generic. But beggars can’t be choosers, and it’s a solid isometric kart racer. Also dirt cheap.

• Like 1

A couple weeks back and this was a $5 gamble to me, but I grabbed a copy of Wrestlemania 2000 off a table for GBC.  I still have it out, it's not put into the game cabinet.  It's actually kind of fun, fairly easy to learn setup with it too and has quite a few wrestlers, standard moves, and when you're pumped up enough you get their signature move as well.  It flows nicely, good animation, figured it was more licensed crap but it turns out to be quite good.  Might be something to look into if you want something more WWF than fire pro or wonky one off things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I found a couple worthwhile isometric racing games! I knew there would be good games amidst the licensed shovelware.

Woody Woodpecker Racing is a zoomed out kart battle racer developed by Konami themselves. It feels a little slow due to how zoomed out it is, but that makes it a little easier than the Game Gear isometric games I’ve been playing lately. The controls are tight and the graphics are nice. The lack of any engine noise is a bummer, but otherwise it’s pretty great. And it’s dirt cheap. 

Another dirt cheap licensed game with a surprising pedigree is Mickey Racing Adventure. It’s by kings of isometric RC racing Rare. There is a reason the word “Adventure” takes precedence in the title - there is a lot of wandering around, minigames, etc. For those with little love for the mouse like me, it is a bit patience-testing. It’s also very zoomed in, and the other racers are totally generic. But beggars can’t be choosers, and it’s a solid isometric kart racer. Also dirt cheap.

Will have to check this out.  Admittingly, when this system was out back in the day I poo-pooed it as I held my Atari Lynx nose high.  However, playing various games today (although on better hardware than the original GBC via emulation), I gotta admit it is good and I do enjoy the games for it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I discovered there’s a sequel to Mickey’s Racing Adventure, Mickey’s Speedway USA, that is just the racing part. Haven’t gotten a copy yet, though.

I hesitate to link a listing outside the marketplace forum, but this seems like too transient and specific to be worth posting there: if anybody is after Project S-11, this is a good deal, but it will be gone quick: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Project-S-11-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Color-2000-with-case-/284419008320

Mickey Speedway is a GBC port/conversion(sequel?) that also got a N64 version as well.  I never looked, but wouldn't be surprised if it had transfer pak capability if it has some form of unlocks or hidden characters to share.

Project S11 defies all logic on what you think the GBC would crap out at given the limits of sprites and sprites per line, but that game is insane.  Find a video of the red gun that acts like a lava explosion whre it goes up, then spreads wider as it falls back.  The amount of shots alone it pushes you think would melt down the GBC into a crawl, but it goes on nice and pretty even with a bunch of shot/enemies on screen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I don't think I've ever heard of that, makes me wonder where it was released.  That looks fun, and has a high level of music competency that screams demo scene audio the way that chiptune is banging out.  I could see getting into that game.  Kind of nice seeing destructible environments on a gameboy too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Wow I don't think I've ever heard of that, makes me wonder where it was released.  That looks fun, and has a high level of music competency that screams demo scene audio the way that chiptune is banging out.  I could see getting into that game.  Kind of nice seeing destructible environments on a gameboy too.

It released in the US and Europe as part of the World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks games on the PlayStation consoles, though I've heard that more people seem to like the GBC version more.

As much as people will compare Robopon: Sun Version to Pokemon, I think that a lot people would appreciate it more these days on the basis of feeling that Pokemon has gotten stale and want something a little more different, as in upgrading robots, reminiscent of Robotrek on SNES:

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1

Licensed GBC games that stuck out to me:

Spider-Man 2: The Sinister Six:

The Grinch:

Tom and Jerry in Mouse Attacks:

The Dukes of Hazzard: Racing for Home:

Power Rangers: Time Force:

The last one in particular reminded me of Natsume's NES games.

Edited by electricmastro