IGNORED

What Game Boy Color games are worth playing?

jgkspsx

On 6/17/2021 at 8:35 PM, jgkspsx said:

Woody Woodpecker Racing is a zoomed out kart battle racer developed by Konami themselves. It feels a little slow due to how zoomed out it is, but that makes it a little easier than the Game Gear isometric games I’ve been playing lately. The controls are tight and the graphics are nice. The lack of any engine noise is a bummer, but otherwise it’s pretty great. And it’s dirt cheap. 

I haven't stopped by this thread for several months, but yes, this game is pretty good. My grandparents owned a store and someone left a copy of this game in the store and never came back to get it, so they eventually gave it to me after a while and I played it. I have not played it in maybe 20 years. Now that I think about it, it was my first Konami game.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The Donkey Kong game on the Game Boy was awesome. The Donkey Kong Land games are okay..

Oooooh yeah, to think it inspired the DK vs Mario games, problem is, none hold a candle to that Super GB gem, they really nailed the stage design and balance too well.  The later ones with those minis are like a bad mix of that with lemmings mechanics that get somewhat aggravating unfortunately.  Sometimes less is more, especially with that franchise unfortunately.  I get the appeal, I just have no cares for it.

53 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Can't seem to find the C64 version of Power Quest. Also, it would have to be these:

Unknown-4.jpg

Oooh love this list.  I'm sure there has to be more.  Also since @jgkspsx asked, we should try an amiga one.  I can start it off with  QWAK: https://www.mrqwak.com/2019/01/qwak-on-the-amiga/ -- This got released in a limited number by that author nearly a decade ago for the GBA, 300 copies, I got one, such an amazing gem even if it's sadly classified now as a lost homebrew.  Also there were others than that, but it's a solid list.  Some in that image were on amiga too.  Pinball Challenge Deluxe a UK only GBA game is a mix of Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies (another I imported) and they're truly fantastic versions on there with only one hangup, cheap F'ing Ubisoft, they promised a battery, then produced it without one to save a dollar...developer was pissed, reamed them in the press, then dumped the ROM online and encouraged flash kit use to get your hi score saves...hahaha :D

Also without digging, Cannon Fodder came to GBC only carts, that was Amiga wasn't it too?  I know it was DOS, SNES(EU/UK market) and perhaps others?

I really wish I hadn't lost/let loose in a bad period my Sim City 2000 game.  Believe it or not, it's true, but I was the one who dumped the US version of that game online, was I think the last 'release' I did back in the day, most my work was the NES period though in the 90s.  SC2K is awesome on GBA, because it shortcuts the full game removing the annoying underground stuff entirely, so it's this cool hybrid of SC2K and Classic.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Oooooh yeah, to think it inspired the DK vs Mario games, problem is, none hold a candle to that Super GB gem, they really nailed the stage design and balance too well.  The later ones with those minis are like a bad mix of that with lemmings mechanics that get somewhat aggravating unfortunately.  Sometimes less is more, especially with that franchise unfortunately.  I get the appeal, I just have no cares for it.

Oooh love this list.  I'm sure there has to be more.  Also since @jgkspsx asked, we should try an amiga one.  I can start it off with  QWAK: https://www.mrqwak.com/2019/01/qwak-on-the-amiga/ -- This got released in a limited number by that author nearly a decade ago for the GBA, 300 copies, I got one, such an amazing gem even if it's sadly classified now as a lost homebrew.  Also there were others than that, but it's a solid list.  Some in that image were on amiga too.  Pinball Challenge Deluxe a UK only GBA game is a mix of Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies (another I imported) and they're truly fantastic versions on there with only one hangup, cheap F'ing Ubisoft, they promised a battery, then produced it without one to save a dollar...developer was pissed, reamed them in the press, then dumped the ROM online and encouraged flash kit use to get your hi score saves...hahaha :D

Also without digging, Cannon Fodder came to GBC only carts, that was Amiga wasn't it too?  I know it was DOS, SNES(EU/UK market) and perhaps others?

I really wish I hadn't lost/let loose in a bad period my Sim City 2000 game.  Believe it or not, it's true, but I was the one who dumped the US version of that game online, was I think the last 'release' I did back in the day, most my work was the NES period though in the 90s.  SC2K is awesome on GBA, because it shortcuts the full game removing the annoying underground stuff entirely, so it's this cool hybrid of SC2K and Classic.

There's also Manic Miner and Speedball 2 on Game Boy Advance, though those versions were only released in Europe. Iridion 3D was also said to have been originally for the Amiga, and there's also a game called Reaxion which was unofficially ported to Game Boy Advance:

http://frgcb.blogspot.com/2016/09/ngotm-reaxion-cosine-1994.html

https://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/04/gameboy-advance-homebrew-cartridges.html

• Like 1

@electricmastro Might want to throw this http://www.foxysofts.com/index.php?l=content/gba/anworld.inc into the mix.  Not just Another World(Out of this World) but look on the left bar, they've done a considerable effort converting some old computer format games to GBA and stuff.  I've used Another World it's shockingly well done, commercially solid good effort even.  Atari ST, Amiga, C64 titles converted over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Will have to check out Eye of the Beholder and Payback for sure.

Also, just found out about:

Pinball Dreams

Scrabble

Rampage

Super Street Fighter II Turbo

After Burner

Out Run

Space Harrier

Super Hang-On

Chessmaster (not sure how similar this one is to The Chessmaster 2000 on Amiga)

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I gotta say, if you have a GBC-playing device and like platformers with a lot of run'n'gunning and cool bosses and powerups, slap Merlin on your flashcart or emulator or find a cheap copy. It is maybe a little too easy when you are fully powered up but it is such a joy to play. It's bizarre that I only stumbled upon it and bought it on a whim after never having heard of it before; it's one of the most pleasurable experiences I've had on the system. All of the reviews online follow pretty much the same trajectory as I did: "Oh, another europlatformer for the GBC, yay. Oh, huh, this is kinda different actually. Hey, this is kinda fun. Wow, this is a lot of fun!"

Typical review:

Also, if you like pinball at all, you've gotta get 3D Ultra Pinball: Thrillride. It is top-tier, and even has a high-score save!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I gotta say, if you have a GBC-playing device and like platformers with a lot of run'n'gunning and cool bosses and powerups, slap Merlin on your flashcart or emulator or find a cheap copy. It is maybe a little too easy when you are fully powered up but it is such a joy to play. It's bizarre that I only stumbled upon it and bought it on a whim after never having heard of it before; it's one of the most pleasurable experiences I've had on the system. All of the reviews online follow pretty much the same trajectory as I did: "Oh, another europlatformer for the GBC, yay. Oh, huh, this is kinda different actually. Hey, this is kinda fun. Wow, this is a lot of fun!"

Typical review:

Also, if you like pinball at all, you've gotta get 3D Ultra Pinball: Thrillride. It is top-tier, and even has a high-score save!

Will put it on my 'To Play List' for sure.

• Like 1