IGNORED

Season 19 Round 1 - Batman

asponge

Shinobi -- 571,000

I've been on a Shinobi kick for the past weeks, trying to "master" the arcade game, so I figured I'd put a couple of days into this version and get the ball rolling.  

First -- I made it to the end, but missed a lot of point opportunities.

Second -- This game's a wee bit of a stinker*.  I was gonna trash talk whoever suggested this one, but then I saw it was me, so I guess I'll keep my snide, hateful comments to myself to avoid hurting my feelings.

*it's not that bad, really.  I'm just butthurt n' bitter because I fell in a hole twice on mission 4 and ruined my run.

NES_Shinobi_571000.jpg.bc09b6e6ed9c6433d1b0cbadc42b4b55.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Batman -- 264,600

I used to love this one back in the 80's or 90's (whenever I played it as a kiddo) but I don't think I realized just how well made it really is.  

It's a top 5 NES game for me.

When I rented it as a kid, I couldn't even get past the third level because of the jumpers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It's a top 5 NES game for me.

When I rented it as a kid, I couldn't even get past the third level because of the jumpers.

I guess me saying "as a kiddo" might be a bit misleading.  Looking at the release date, I would have been about 15 before I could have played it.  Not exactly an adult, but nearly old enough to start driving.  ?  Sure seems like this game was a part of my (earlier) childhood, though.  Years all blend together.

1 minute ago, Razzie.P said:

I guess me saying "as a kiddo" might be a bit misleading.  Looking at the release date, I would have been about 15 before I could have played it.  Not exactly an adult, but nearly old enough to start driving.  ?  Sure seems like this game was a part of my (earlier) childhood, though.  Years all blend together.

I was probably 13 or 14 when I first played it.

Hard game, but well done.

Batman - 40,500

batman-40k.thumb.JPG.692e4f318ba95d00417cfba5462ac8f8.JPG

Gettin' some arcade scores in here to get on the board. This is gonna be cool having so many in rotation this season.

You gotta pause this real fast when you die in order to grab the score, which is plain stupid for an arcade game. I feel this port moves a little slower than others, but I'm gettin' used it it. I like that you can change the controls, tho I leave it at default and angle the controller.

Q*bert - 21,590 L2R2

qbert-nes-21k.thumb.JPG.65980019bc7478e988cde319db3bddbe.JPG

My favorite version of Popeye, and not for the great graphics, it just plays so much smoother than other home ports.

Popeye - 57,530 R6

popeye-nes-57k.thumb.JPG.a8b487450d3798c89dd6aa97659bc333.JPG

Cracking 20k is hard, but satisfying.

BurgerTime - 28,500

bt-nes-28k.thumb.JPG.b652d8b2706feb32a607fad601d904d5.JPG

• Like 1

Gyruss

Love This.

Bad Dudes

I knew the Amiga port quite well (which is just called Dragon Ninja), for the worst reasons. My friends loved the game and pestered me all the time to play it. I was wishful that the NES port was different enough to make it good. Nah, still has the same terrible collision detection, and lack of impactful feeling which is unforgivable on a game of this kind. 

Gyruss-210426-212809.png

Bad Dudes-210419-194548.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuySan said:

Gyruss

Love This.

Bad Dudes

I knew the Amiga port quite well (which is just called Dragon Ninja), for the worst reasons. My friends loved the game and pestered me all the time to play it. I was wishful that the NES port was different enough to make it good. Nah, still has the same terrible collision detection, and lack of impactful feeling which is unforgivable on a game of this kind. 

Bad Dudes is awful but still kind of fun in a very cheesy 80s sort of way. The ending is great.

For Gyruss i like control type A and pressing up or down to shift between rotating on the top half of the screen and the bottom half.

Gyruss Tip: In the bonus stages shoot the number of the stage and get a 30k bonus. For example if it's stage 4 then only shoot 4 ships. It gets really tricky do do this in the later stages but helpful for points earlier on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Holy cow. I guess I’ll play a little more before submitting a score...

There's a 50k bonus for not crashing any cars. For this run I got the bonus in stages 1 and 6. 1, 6 and 11 are the easiest stages to get it.

• Like 1