IGNORED

Availability of ADAM memory consoles, VGA-HDMI mods, FPGAs, etc.

timepilot

I have one Coleco Adam, with which I use the composite out, and I occasionally worry that the machine will fail on me at some point in the future. I bought it in 2013, because I no longer had the original Adam that was my first computer in the 1980s. Recently, I have been thinking that it would be good to have a backup, just in case something happens to the one that I have now.

Does anyone here sell Adam memory consoles? If so, does anyone sell them with a VGA or HDMI mod? Finally, does anyone know whether there are plans underway to create an FPGA Adam that would interface with original hardware, e.g., expansion port, card slots, AdamNet, keyboard & joystick ports, cartridges, etc.?

Thank you.

Currently not to many options to pick up a spare Adam besides eBay, etc.

A former Adam repair company looks to be readying A LOT of Adam systems and supplies for sale soon. Sounds like they will be going the eBay route so there should be a steady supply available for an extended period of time that are all properly tested.

VGA or HDMI... nothing available until the new version of the F18a is released by Matthew Haggerty.

FPGA Adam... only possibility is an Adam Core being added to the CollectorVision Phoenix FPGA system. It’s been planned since it’s release a couple years ago, but nothing has been announced yet.

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

Currently not to many options to pick up a spare Adam besides eBay, etc.

A former Adam repair company looks to be readying A LOT of Adam systems and supplies for sale soon. Sounds like they will be going the eBay route so there should be a steady supply available for an extended period of time that are all properly tested.

VGA or HDMI... nothing available until the new version of the F18a is released by Matthew Haggerty.

FPGA Adam... only possibility is an Adam Core being added to the CollectorVision Phoenix FPGA system. It’s been planned since it’s release a couple years ago, but nothing has been announced yet.

Thank you.  I hope that you won't mind if I PM you to follow up re the Adam repair companying readying systems and supplies for sale.  And it gives me cause for optimism to hear that a new F18A is at least in development.

I am paid up for a run #2 Phoenix, so I will at least have one waiting for the day when they release an Adam core.  It would be really cool if they released it with a connector that connects to the Adam and enables the Phoenix to use any Adam hardware.  But I have no idea how they would do that other than via the Adam external expansion port, and that would eliminate the opportunity to add other expansions to the Adam-Phoenix.

Some miscellaneous items have been listed on eBay, but no systems yet. Username is moonxpl.

I’d be surprised if the Phoenix team made available a hardware device that allowed it to use actual Adam hardware when and if the Adam core is made available. They would probably use the PS/2 port for a keyboard and the built-in SD drive for loading images.

I missed out on the first run of the Phoenix by a couple hours when I ordered one so looking forward to finally getting one with this second run.

7 hours ago, NIAD said:

Some miscellaneous items have been listed on eBay, but no systems yet. Username is moonxpl.

I’d be surprised if the Phoenix team made available a hardware device that allowed it to use actual Adam hardware when and if the Adam core is made available. They would probably use the PS/2 port for a keyboard and the built-in SD drive for loading images.

I missed out on the first run of the Phoenix by a couple hours when I ordered one so looking forward to finally getting one with this second run.

That would still be a great opportunity to use the Phoenix to run Adam software via HDMI.  Although I am pathetically inept when it comes to any sort of hardware design, I would hope that it would be relatively simple for someone to design an Adam to PS/2 adapter in order to be able to use an original Adam keyboard with the Phoenix PS/2 keyboard port.  But I do speak from a place of complete ignorance on that.