IGNORED

Nintendo eShop Deals Thread

MrBeefy

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 10:24 AM, atarifan88 said:

I see that Atari Flashback Classics is 50% off (was $40 now $20).  I picked it up knowing I wanted to have it on my switch.  Now comes the joy of knowing it will be downloaded to my system by the time I get home from work! ?

I think some of their Recharged games are half off too.

Everything from Atari is half price barring Gravitar R (just released) and Missile Command R (only about three bucks anyway.) If you've not tried any of the Recharged games yet, I'd still recommend Missile Command as the one to start with too.

Tempest 4K is also half price and well worth getting.

Avoid the Roller Coaster and Pong games, or at least buy them on Steam because you'll probably want a refund.

On 7/4/2022 at 6:32 PM, Matt_B said:

Everything from Atari is half price barring Gravitar R (just released) and Missile Command R (only about three bucks anyway.) If you've not tried any of the Recharged games yet, I'd still recommend Missile Command as the one to start with too.

Tempest 4K is also half price and well worth getting.

Avoid the Roller Coaster and Pong games, or at least buy them on Steam because you'll probably want a refund.

I thought Pong Quest looked stupidly interesting. Is it that bad?

55 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I thought Pong Quest looked stupidly interesting. Is it that bad?

It's a cookie cutter RPG where the battles are games of Pong.

If that still sounds like a good idea, get Hypergalactic Psychic Table Tennis 3000.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

It's a cookie cutter RPG where the battles are games of Pong.

If that still sounds like a good idea, get Hypergalactic Psychic Table Tennis 3000.

That sounds made up :P

Edited by MrBeefy
Lmao that's a real game title

Just now, Matt_B said:

It's a real game. Dare I say it, but it's probably where Atari got the idea for Pong Quest from, although they play very differently.

It's not on Switch though, just Steam.

Lmao I had to check and see. Yeah they need to port that to Switch. That's hilarious.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Resident Evil 4 is $10 (half price) 

I don’t really like horror movies/games but this is supposed to be a classic. Should I grab it?

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/resident-evil-4-switch/

I liked RE4... for its time.   If you're interested in checking it out it's definitely worth a buy.  

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, Flojomojo said:

Resident Evil 4 is $10 (half price) 

I don’t really like horror movies/games but this is supposed to be a classic. Should I grab it?

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/resident-evil-4-switch/

Loved this on GameCube back when, went for this sale.  Found that I had a lingering $4 credit from a prior purchase, big time win, RE IV for $6.  Yussssss. :)

• Haha 2

It's the highlight of the series for me, and probably most people too.

It's seventeen years old now though, so starting to feel a bit clunky compared to the more modern games and this version has only had a very light makeover to get the graphics up to HD. There's a full remake coming next year, but that's only going to be available on Switch via streaming.

For what it's worth, it's a lot less horror focused than the earlier RE games and plays more like an action adventure with the over-the-shoulder view rather than the fixed view with tank controls. It's also the first RE game with an inventory system that isn't complete garbage.

There's a lot less in the way of jump scares and running away, and a lot more fights with the ammo to do them with.

• Like 1

My kid got a couple of point cards for her birthday on the weekend.

Any good suggestions on games to look into, especially those that did not see a physical release?  Or if they were like LRG fodder where the physical is a toxic mess so it might as well be?  Largely she's been doing Stardew Valley lately, pokemon unite(free) an animal crossing again due to the holiday events rolling around once more.  She has pocket stables and a few other little things on there at this rate so it's a pretty wide field.

I'd argue racing, RPG, street fighter stuff, fps, simulation, tactical/strategy(rpg) style are a no go.

21 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Any good suggestions on games to look into, especially those that did not see a physical release?  Or if they were like LRG fodder where the physical is a toxic mess so it might as well be?  Largely she's been doing Stardew Valley lately, pokemon unite(free) an animal crossing again due to the holiday events rolling around once more.  She has pocket stables and a few other little things on there at this rate so it's a pretty wide field.

I'd argue racing, RPG, street fighter stuff, fps, simulation, tactical/strategy(rpg) style are a no go.

Does she like Zelda?  Music?  I'm curious if Cadence of Hyrule would be enjoyed...

On 10/26/2022 at 12:41 AM, DavidD said:

Does she like Zelda?  Music?  I'm curious if Cadence of Hyrule would be enjoyed...

I'm not sure, I had thought of that, but her only experience so far with Zelda was Breath of the Wild, loaned her my copy to try.  She did a few hours, but the whole skyrim approach of it all confused her 10 year old mind at that rate.  Might I have had her use the SNES app thing on the internet and had her fire up Link to the Past it might have been a better affair.  She has only tried that and just barely an old copy of Links Awakening I got her for GB years ago, and a couple SMB GBA titles with more Pet games.

Currently I know what she has as her small archive of physical games are here in my room in a pull out drawers rack.  She has Super Mario Land 1+2, Zelda, Pokemon Yellow, and SMB Deluxe for GB/C.  3DS Lego City Undercover, Tomadachi Life, POkemon Ultra Moon, Horses 3D.  There are a lot more DS games and excluding dopey little Pet(lots of PET) based games, there's more of those Sim/AC like titles, Animal Crossing, CLubhouse Games, New SMB, Theme Park, My Sims, Cooking Mama, Pokemon Pearl, Mario Party, Nintendogs.

Switch is Minecraft, Terraria, Miitopia, Pokken, Pokemon Sword, Animal Crossing, and Mario Maker 2.  I have +2 hiding for Christmas (Mario kart and Minecraft Dungeons) I've been hiding for months.  Lately it has been Stardew Valley that was downloaded to her Switch and on DS side doing Mahjong and card games on clubhouse games. Animal Crossing Switch been worked over due to the holiday rush this time of year Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas all have them.  I know she on the Switch has the nintendo nes/snes apps I put there, but also Pokemon Crystal and Pocket Stables, not sure what else I'd have to dig.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, Tanooki said:

Sonic Mania, if you can't find a physical copy. If you can, get the physical copy since that has Sonic Mania Plus, but good luck finding a copy. Depending on how old she is, some of the boss fights might be a bit frustrating, as the bosses are the worst part of the game by far, but it's still unquestionably one of the absolute best games on the system and one of the absolute best games made in the past 20 years.

6 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Sonic Mania, if you can't find a physical copy. If you can, get the physical copy since that has Sonic Mania Plus, but good luck finding a copy. Depending on how old she is, some of the boss fights might be a bit frustrating, as the bosses are the worst part of the game by far, but it's still unquestionably one of the absolute best games on the system and one of the absolute best games made in the past 20 years.

I'd agree about the bosses I had Mania and got fed up with it eventually as I never was a super huge Sonic fan,  something with a boss with a lot of missiles, lack of inertia on a hilly ground and way too many unavoidable hits with rings flying everywhere was my total demise of any interest in keeping it. :)  I've seen it before recently at Target, pretty sure it was some 2pack with that racing game.  We will widely agree to disagree on it being any form of a best game on Switch let alone in general for 20 years, unless you mean that specifically to Sonic, then yeah I would.  Sonic Neo Geo Pocket Color and Sonic 2 are more my enjoyment level with the 2D side of the franchise.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I tried that, she didn't seem to care as I have it on physical media here on the shelf.  But that is the gameboy game and it didn't wow her and she still has that old cart.

Some other things she might like...

• Mario + Rabbids Kingdom battle
  • Blossom Tales (pixelated Zelda-like)
  • Cat Quest
  • Pikmin 3

Cave Story was surprisingly popular with one of my nieces...